Must have freebie programs to protect and clean

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Must have freebie programs to protect and clean

I would still recommend a software firewall on your system. There is a vast difference between a stand alone hardware firewall, and the firewall built into a router.  While a router's firewall does offer a good amount of protection its mostly from inbound connections. It won't stop connections initiated by your system if it becomes infected with a virus, whereas a good software firewall will.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
I'm a Senior Contributor

I suppose to each their own on this. So long as you have a good anti-virus and have it set to auto run once a week (or more often if you wish), all should be fine. The problem I found with firewalls was that they were hogs on the system, and for those who do not have gaming PCs, using that much RAM at all times is not a helpful thing at all.
I Plan to Stick Around

if you use windows 7, the built in firewall is just fine for the average user. I've used all the major firewalls (zonealarm etc..), and the win7 one is just fine for my use. between that and my router firewall I feel quite protected.
I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
I'm an Enthusiast

Avast and AVG have become massive resource hogs.  You might want to have a look at Avira.

Also, to protect your PC, try using Sandboxie.  It's a great tool and "...runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer."  Very handy. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ccrashh ahh I forgot about Sandboxie it was a nice program to isolate files you run if your not so sure about them. It's been a while since I used it but it was great when I did.