cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music file not supported

Daniel1
I Plan to Stick Around

For a little while now, a little pop-up error has came whenever I try and play music. It says something like "The music player doe not support this type of media" but I'm trying to play an mp3 I've played before. Once I restart my phone everything is back to normal. I have a captivate running 2.2; has anyone else had this problem?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Music file not supported

Are you finding that this error happens with all ringtones or just specific ones?

Does it happen on only ringtones of a specific format?

Does this happen only with your custom ringtones?

Any relevant information may help. Keep in mind there are reports online of this specific issue happening on 2.2 with the current fix being a battery pull. This may be a more serious issue with the 2.2 software that needs to be patched.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

yep me too.   and worse it is happening with my special ringtone.

so from time to time my phone does not ring....

Are you finding that this error happens with all ringtones or just specific ones?

Does it happen on only ringtones of a specific format?

Does this happen only with your custom ringtones?

Any relevant information may help. Keep in mind there are reports online of this specific issue happening on 2.2 with the current fix being a battery pull. This may be a more serious issue with the 2.2 software that needs to be patched.

BuckMacklin

it just happens.  I can't see a pattern..  From time to time it wont play videos that I know used to work.   Reboot and it works.

I change the battery almost every day.  I carry two full ones just in case.

That fixes it, but then from time to time...

Daniel1
I Plan to Stick Around

Same here. Like 2/3 times when I go to play a song, it says that its not the proper format or whatever. Then it quickly searches through songs, stops and shows the same error message again. No rhyme or reason but restarting the phone always works

Rajendra
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem (Froyo).  MP3 ringtones won't play, the video camera stops working, and so does the voice recorder.

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

A few things I would try:

- If you are using a sound file for a ring tone, ensure it's not too big.  You can use "Ringdroid" from the market to cut the size down a bit.  That should make it a bit more friendly for your phone.

- Make sure the phone has fully booted before trying to play any music, video or record voice. 

- Get a new external SD card.  Make sure it's done scanning the media before playing any music or video off it.

This occurs after a period of time after a battery pull.

It affects not only music files for me but any and all media files.  Youtube ceases to work and video that I have on my phone doesnt work either.  This has occurred in the middle of a Youtube video.

My only solution so far is a battery pull.

Cheers.

BuckMacklin

What you describe is happening to me as well.   Exactly as you describe it.

Just hanging on until the next OS release.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation