Multiple Duplicate email

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Menns1
I've Been Here Awhile

Multiple Duplicate email

I am receiving multiple emails from a non-malicious source.  I have received over 800 of these duplicate emails in the past day and they are still coming.  The sender is diligently trying to solve the problem. 

The emails show up in my Outlook, my Android device and rogers.yahoo.

She is a Bell user.  She is not getting duplicates, nor is anyone with a bell service, but it appears that everyone with rogers is getting the duplicates.

I used the rogers technical chat and have been informed as follows:

1) Blocking friendly email addresses is the best way to deal with this problem.

2) Rogers does not see this scenario as something they should protect against

3) Rogers do not consider this a vulnerability - they have protection that would ensure a malicious user could not cause this, only non-technical, non-malicious users can cause this.  I am not sure I understood the explanation they gave for this.

4) This is not in any possible way a Rogers problem.

Has anyone experienced this before?

How do I fix this (short of blocking the email address)?

How can I prevent this from happening again (other than the obvious stop using Rogers solution)?

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Menns1
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Multiple Duplicate email

Thanks for all that responded.

It turns out that there was a problem with the Rogers email server.  The person who sent the email spent a fair amount of time working with rogers to resolve the problem -  and I thank her.

I am glad that I didn't block her as Rogers advised.  Rogers live chat has done nothing but deny that they are at fault, then it turns out it was completely thier fault.  Instead of being an opportunity to fix small problems before they become big problems and develop trust with thier customers, they have done the opposite and wasted my time to boot. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Does anyone in the community have any suggestions for this issue?

Rogers_Kate

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only thing i can think of.. just to narrow it down..

Check the email headers, for the two duplicate emails.  Are the IDENTICAL.. specificaly the timestamps.. are they the same, or even one second off?
Would show that its the other end, sending #1, #2, etc.

Syphacleeze
I Plan to Stick Around

Is your email client set to keep a copy of messages on the server for __ days?

Something could have gotten messed up and messages could be getting pulled down over and over again when your mail client connects to the server.

Menns1
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for all that responded.

It turns out that there was a problem with the Rogers email server.  The person who sent the email spent a fair amount of time working with rogers to resolve the problem -  and I thank her.

I am glad that I didn't block her as Rogers advised.  Rogers live chat has done nothing but deny that they are at fault, then it turns out it was completely thier fault.  Instead of being an opportunity to fix small problems before they become big problems and develop trust with thier customers, they have done the opposite and wasted my time to boot. 

View solution in original post

Wardo
I've Been Around

I had a similar issue. Sometimes without warning, my entire inbox has duplicate headers. All of them. The first time this happened I said "oh well", and deleted the duplicates. Im a former developer and I realize that weird things happen. I checked other folders and it was just my inbox. I went back and BOTH copies were removed. Nothing important BUT my inbox is small and they were old anyways so no biggy. I also have Outlook connected via IMAP so I can get them back if I really want to....I digress.

So as a developer I realized its likely either a local indexing error or a server indexing error. I tried restarting the phone, clearing the cache..basically everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling.

I kinda came up with a solution that worked for me. Create a temp folder. Transfer all messages in the offending folder to the temp folder. Browse the temp folder select only the messages that are unique and transfer them back. Voila. Thats it. I found that even the duplicates in the temp folder mysteriously disappear. This disappearance is an indicator that its an index problem.

For those with gigantic message volumes. I wish I had a more elegant solution. But this worked for me. Hopefully the android app guys or the backend server people will read this and add something as a tool to the app for better data mgmt or index rebuilding. Or duplicate fixing or whatever they want to call it...so long as it works.