Multiple Channels - Black Screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keelenorth
I've Been Here Awhile

Multiple Channels - Black Screen

hi i have a Rogers connection via a cable in my bedroom ,recently my landlady gave me a cable box so that I could get more stations  and initally it worked fine .i think she added a splitter.so that the new roomate would have cable too.Now when I turn the cable box on it starts with CP24 (thats fine it always did )
the caption at the bottom says CP24 but then it just goes black ,If i use the remote and go up a channel i can get channel 25 fine ,but some stations (even stations I got before the cable box come in with the caption and then go black .particularly channels 50,72,85 52 ?does anyone know whats going on ?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Multiple Channels - Black Screen

I would agree, it is likely signal issue.

Cheap splitters will often do this.

As Mouse said, try a more expensive splitter, and good quality coax cable.

Beyond that, you would have to get a tech out to look at it.. but this would have to be done through the landlady.  As well, IF its found that the issue was by putting cheap splitters in place, etc.. they can charge you (well, the land lady) $50 for the call.

View solution in original post

All Replies
mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Sounds like a signal issue. The digital boxes are pretty picky about signal strength. If the signal weakens you get what you are describing. You may want to try a better splitter and new coax.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree, it is likely signal issue.

Cheap splitters will often do this.

As Mouse said, try a more expensive splitter, and good quality coax cable.

Beyond that, you would have to get a tech out to look at it.. but this would have to be done through the landlady.  As well, IF its found that the issue was by putting cheap splitters in place, etc.. they can charge you (well, the land lady) $50 for the call.

View solution in original post

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

have your landlady call Rogers and send a tech

drewspeed
I've Been Here Awhile

I've got this exact same issue. 

I recently moved my splitter and internet modem to a different room.  The nextbox in this new room wouldn't get all channels.  Removed the splitter and of course all the channels came back.

Did the OP try getting a new splitter?  Did it work?

Since Rogers provided the original splitter would they not be on the hook for providing a better splitter? (won't get hopes up...)

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it might not be a problem with the splitter, but more importantly, the modem might need its own run, ie a straight cable with no breaks or splits.   if you need to connect your netbox in the same room, you might need another cable run like what I did.

ManhatanProject
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, today some channels are not coming in... first it was my Netbox HD that was the issue and now my older SD box... such as DisneyXD, YTV, etc. I even ran a new drop to bypass splitters, connectors, and older cable but the same... nothing. Any thoughts?

ManhatanProject
I've Been Here Awhile

@ManhatanProject wrote:

Hi, today some channels are not coming in... first it was my Netbox HD that was the issue and now my older SD box... such as DisneyXD, YTV, etc. I even ran a new drop to bypass splitters, connectors, and older cable but the same... nothing. Any thoughts?

Nevermind... after 8 hrs it has magically resolved itself...

drewspeed
I've Been Here Awhile

This setup works upstairs in my bedroom with an older 3250HD so I thought it would work with the new Nextbox downstairs.

So i'm guessing the Nextbox needs a stronger signal. Will try a better splitter.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While not necessarily requiring a stronger signal, it is more prone to errors on a lower signal.

Try a better quality spliter to start. If not, remove the spliter, and put it back to the orig location, then get a tech out, saying you need to move it. They should be able to help, however it needs to be done, possibly a booster, etc