Moving to Australia, need out of rogers contract and unlocked phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Moving to Australia, need out of rogers contract and unlocked phone

Hey there,

I'm moving to Australia next month and need to figure out what I'm going to do with my iphone 4. I'm about a year and half into a three year contract. The way I see it I have a few options:

1) Buy out my contract. I've heard this costs about $400. Is this true?

2) I've heard you can suspend your contract if you can proove you're moving out of the country. Then I can reactivate it as soon as I'm back in Canada. Is this true?

3) Lower my monthly rates or give the phone to a friend to use.

I've also heard that any rogers store will unlock your iphone for $50 so I can use it in Australia. Is this possible or do I have to take it to a shop to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Derek

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Moving to Australia, need out of rogers contract and unlocked phone

Well my friend i would do this.

1. Yes you can buy out your contract but you need to contact Rogers about how much it will be.
2. Yes you can suspend your line if you have proof you are leaving the country & they will resume the line once you come back ( but you still have to pay the monthly service fee.)
3. You can lower the prices on the line & give it to a friend or someone to have until you come back.

Also if you do not want the line anymore i suggest you sell it online on Kijiji / Craigslist.

I would go with number 3 tho. I would just give it to my friend & lower the price plan.

Rogers ONLY unlocks phones if
A. You bought the phone in the outright prices ( meaning you paid full price for it.)
B. You are near or at the end of the contract.

Rogers MIGHT make a acceptation in your case tho but you need to talk to them about it.
I've Been Around

I am in a similar situation. My husband got a job in the US. As much as I'd love to stay with Rogers, I'm forced to end the contract. Everybody understands the situation right? I'm not being picky here, I have to move to the States. So I called Rogers to ask them what are my options. 

I have done 1 year out of a 3 years contract with my iPhone 4.

These are my options I got from the agent:

1- get out of the contract= pay 650$ (even though I bought my iPhone 500$ last summer). Still after that, she told me I couldn't have my iPhone unlocked because I need to do the 3 full years. So I'd throw 650$ thru the window and still have no iPhone I could use.

2- find someone to transfer my account

Basically, you have no options. Transfer your iPhone to any quidam you can find. In my humble opinion: it's abusive.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi my daughter is moving to the UK for a year. We had the same response as Mel75, which is Rogers doens't really care if you are moving they just want their money.

Terrible customer service and this carrier isn't interested in how long you have been with them (no customer loyality) they just want their money.

Sorry to say but the carriers overseas are much more customer oriented....welcome to Canada. Land of the free ecept when it comes to cellular rates.

Cheers and the best of luck....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is one major difference between overseas and here.

Almost everything over seas, is a pay as you go, prepaid style phone system.   You dont have contracts you just buy the phone outright for $X and away you go.  
Yes, usualy all the phones there, are unlocked, vs here though.

But over here, most of the stuff is plan/contract based.   Most people, dont want to pay full price for the phone, etc, so they get into a contract.  This is what makes it hard, if something like this comes up.. is that your stuck in the middle of a contract.

Its not that Rogers (or ANY other company is being greedy), its that you signed a legal contract saying you would be there for X years, paying X amount.  Usualy in return, they give you X amount off your phone, etc.

If this is something that people do not want to have happen, or dont like getting tied down, you do not have to do so.  You can buy the phone outright, not have to get locked into a contract, etc.

I've Been Around

You can't just buy the phone outright like in europe. Rogers still requires a contract to get there rate plans...

I Plan to Stick Around

@daviddess wrote:

You can't just buy the phone outright like in europe. Rogers still requires a contract to get there rate plans...

Yes and no.

sign 3 year and no hardware at 3 year pricing = 12.50 cancellaion fee.

sign 3 year with hardware at 3 year pricing = 12.50 + subsizied phone cost/36 and months left

Yes you can but outright and go on contract or month to month but now contract is same as month to month with some perks

I'm a Trusted Advisor

@daviddess

You can buy the device outright but it will be locked to Rogers. Also they will add you on a plan but after 15 / 30 days, you can call & cancel the plan & just pay the 30 day monthly fee + the $12.50 fee for them to shut down the line & the taxes. Believe me i have done this many times.