Moved to new server can't ftp

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Moved to new server can't ftp

I have a dedicated web server, and back in August had a hardware upgrade to a new server (which caused the IP addresses to change). At the time I was at a summer trailer and accessed with an Air Card through the LTE network. When trying to connect via FTP  to sites on the server through Dreamweaver, it would connect, but would not show me a file list or do anything, then it would just disconnect. I was able to FTP to and from other sites not on this particular server through the LTE network. The trailer park I was at had wifi access through Cogeco, and I was able to FTP to the server through their network. I thought maybe it was an issue with the LTE network, but now I am home and on my regular Rogers cable internet connection, and I am still unable to access the server via FTP (HTTP, SMTP, POP are fine) and now I do not have the Cogeco wifi to use.  I am assuming it is some kind of a DNS issue - any ideas how I could get this resolved? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Moved to new server can't ftp

Are you connecting to the server VIA a IP address or a name?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have tried both actually, and neither works. I thought if for some reason Rogers was using an old DNS table for FTP that accessing the new IP would work, but it doesn't.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are able to ping that address? (so you have visibility of it)

So it does initially connect? just wont retreive anything?

You could try putting what you are connecting to it with (ftp software, or dreamweaver) into passive mode.  I know it helped sometimes with some older FTP servers i used to connect to.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I can ping it. That's right, it connects but won't retrieve anything, and then disconnects. I have tried passive mode, and non-passive mode and IPV6 mode - nothing works. The only thing that has worked is connecting over a non-Rogers network. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. that is wierd.

I dont really have any to try connecting too from home to really test from my rogers connection.
Ultimate test would be to YOUR FTP but i am sure you dont want to pass out that info Smiley Happy

I know its not them blocking FTP all together, etc.. as i was able to connect from work, to my own FTP server at home on rogers today, and coppied a 300mb file.

I Plan to Stick Around

No, it is not blocking FTP for me altogether either - I am able to FTP to other sites, just not to this particular server (which is the one I partiularly WANT to FTP to!) Could there be something in the router (that would also be in the Air Card?) 

In testing through ftptest.net, it connects to the server as it does through Dreamweaver and when trying to get a directory list it shows: 

Command: MLSD

Error: Could not establish data connection: No route to host

and suggests:

• Check your firewall configuration, port 21 needs to be opened.
  • Check your NAT router configuration, port 21 needs to be forwarded.

Well obviously Port 21 is open and configured because I can connect to other sites, and non-Rogers ISPs can connect to the server. Could it be something that is blocking me because I had connected to the server before on a different IP address and now trying to connect to a different IP. 

No, I don't want to publish FTP credentials here, but let me see if I can get a friend who I believe is on Rogers to see if he ca connect to see if it is a general Rogers issue, or if it is just Rogers and me.....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible the its server side blocking it.. depends on their FTP config... but i wouldnt think so.

Did a little lookup.. appears that some firewalls, dont like the MLSD command (its a directory listing command)... so that COULD be it.

Now, you are on a rogers gateway?  In gateway mode? or using a 3rd party router, in bridged mode?

I am wondering if its getting stuck, for some reason, on through the NAT on the gateway (why just ONE, i dont know).

I Plan to Stick Around

I GUESS I am on a Rogers Gateway. It is the router/modem that was supplied and set up by Rogers. And before that I was using the Rogers Mobile Hotspot which also had the same problem. I was able to access the sites fine prior to changing to the new server with a new IP address. I don't know if the NAT router/firewall would clock it because of the IP address change? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its possible.

not sure which gateway you have, but i would log into the setup for it.. and see if there is a DMZ setting for it.. and put in the IP address of your PC.

This will put your PC outside of the firewall/NAT completely.. and would be a good test to see if its the issue.