Motorola SB6141 - Provisioned by Rogers yet......

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Motorola SB6141 - Provisioned by Rogers yet......

Hi folks.

I purchased the highly regarded Motorola SB6141 modem.  I called Rogers and ask them to "provision" this unit and after a bit of back and forth they finally did so after I provided the S/N and MAC ID.  All was good...internet working fine with my SB6141 and my older version of the Ultimate plan (80 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up with a 250GB cap). 

However I wanted a larger cap and higher "up" speed so I called Rogers and asked to try out the new Ultimate package (250/20 with 1 TB cap). However when I called Rogers, they said that even though my third party modem has been provisioned, it is still not able to be used with the new Ultimate package (the message they get when trying to do so is that the modem can't handle the speeds - when clearly it can as it is can take 350+ Mbps and is a DOCSIS 3.0, etc.)  Since I really wanted the higher cap, the only thing they could do for me was to bump me down to the Extreme Plus unlimited (45/4). 

The good is that I have doubled my up speed and gone from 250 GB to unlimited bandwidth all for LESS money than what I was paying however it makes ZERO sense to me that my new modem won't work with the new Ultimate plan (I am aware that Rogers generally doesn't allow 3rd party modems but they clearly have already allowed mine so why won't it work with the new Ultimate plan??????). 

Essentially I am trying to give Rogers more money by getting their new Ultimate plan with a third party modem they have already approved but some goofy internal system is messing up this transaction.  What gives?

Again, I have read the threads where Rogers won't even provision a third party modem and hence you are dead in the water right off the bat.  However they have already approved my Motorola modem and I am using it as we speak through Rogers.  My question is:  Why can't I add the Ultimate package to my account now and what can be done about it?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Regards,

***edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Motorola SB6141 - Provisioned by Rogers yet......

I think that your SB6141 has something like 8 channels down and 4 up.  For the Ultimate 250 service Rogers is using the Hitron CGN3 which has 24 channels down and 8 up.  I belive that each channel can theoretically max out at 40 Mbps.

However Rogers wants to spread the load over multiple channels rather than running all of the channels at the max.  That is why they won't let you use your modem with Ultimate 250 and it is the same reason why Rogers won't give you Ultimate 250 with the Hitron CGN2 or Cisco modems.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think wayner92 hit on the issue here.

The sb modem there is only and 8x4 (same as the Cisco & cgn2). While theoretically it can reach those speeds, you are maxing out the capability on each channel.
From what I have gathered, you see congestion problems happening more when everyone is on fuller channels vs having more channels with less.

For that package, likely the channel provisioning profiles set up, can't be set up on that modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:
I think wayner92 hit on the issue here.

The sb modem there is only and 8x4 (same as the Cisco & cgn2). While theoretically it can reach those speeds, you are maxing out the capability on each channel.
From what I have gathered, you see congestion problems happening more when everyone is on fuller channels vs having more channels with less.

For that package, likely the channel provisioning profiles set up, can't be set up on that modem.

This is exactly correct.

250/20 requires a 24 channel modem and the 6141 only has 8.

The reason why is simple: you're not the only one on your network. DOCSIS is a shared medium service and if Rogers allows everyone on 8 channel modems to dime all 8 channels eveyrtime they download a movie from iTunes your neighbours aren't going to be happy.

They solve this by having 16-20 channels enabled in areas where 250Mbps service is provisioned. 2.5x the channels to spread the load around means better performance for everyone on the block.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It would be curious to see statistics on people/areas which do suffer from congestion issues, etc.
what the modem spread of usage in that area, etc. how many are still on a docsis 2 modem, for example which doesn't support multi channel, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

I thank you all very much for taking the time to respond to my thread.

Clearly I am a layman when it comes to the technical side of modems, channels, etc. etc.  However I remain skeptical that this modem wouldn't work just fine, at the Ultimate package speeds, and not affect my neighbours. 

I think it goes without saying that Rogers would rather a customer rent one of their modems.  They certainly don't advertise the fact that you can buy your own and get it approved to work on their system.  In other words, the game is already tilted in the house's favour.  I still believe this is more about greed and poor customer service than a technical argument based on the 6141's specs. 

Following your logic, other modems with similar specs to the CGN3 should work just fine with the Ultimate package and Rogers would have no problem provisioning such a modem and hooking me up with their Ultimate package (again, I remain skeptical).  Do you know of anyone getting the Ultimate package through a modem other than the CGN3?

So if the SB6141 doesn't have enough channels to spread the load around to sufficiently avoid congestion, then which third party modems (preferibly just dedicated modems) WOULD meet that standard aside from the HITRON CGN3? 

I Plan to Stick Around

Technically they actually DON'T allow people to buy their own modems and get them on the network. You got very lucky. Most people who have non-approved modems on the network are doing so via a great deal of trial and error. These modems get added by listing them as current approved modems; your 6141 is likely listed in the system as a CGN2 or a DPC3825, two of the 8 channel modems Rogers sells. You likely were lucky enough to get a rep that knew what a 6141 is, knew what it's channel count is, AND knew that it had to be registered as a CGN2 to make it work for you. 

The rep probably also knew that they weren't -supposed- to add it for you, but also knoew they could do so without issue. As I said, you got lucky. 🙂

The general consensus is that the reason for this "our devices only" policy is support: it's easier for Rogers to deal with a limited number of authorized devices providing both modem and gateway services. I personally don't agree, but it's their network.

You CAN get Ultimate without a CGN3 - it's just the 150/10/250GB service. The higher end 250/20/1TB service is CGN3 only.

I don't know of any other 24-channel modems on the market right now, no. The CGN3 is based on the Intel Puma6 chipset. I'm not sure of any others, at leat right now. I think Hitron themselves make a standalone but I also don't think they sell them to consumers. At some point this will probably change and you can probably try to have a new modem added as a CGN3 / 24 channel modem.

That said, you're not gonna see a Motorola 24 channel anytime soon as Motoroal is out of the modem game as far as I know. 😞

SMC announced a 24x8 modem at CES earlier this year but who knows if it is shipping yet.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140107006883/en/SMC-Networks-Expands-Veloxite%E2%84%A2-DOCSI...

I would think that Cisco is still in the game and we should see a 24x8 modem from them at some time in the future.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hitron has released a 24x8 modem only..

(its not on an allowable list though, for Rogers OR a TPIA provider)

I comes down to a 'could' that device vs 'should' that device.

COULD they get it working and provide the speeds? Yes, likely.
But they are also trying to STANDARDISE on that speed/configuration, to prevent congestion, etc as we mentioned.

Would one person having it effect the whole neibourhood? NO... but they alow one.... then another, then another, etc... and then you do potentially start seeing it happen.
Standardizing on that way, for stability of the network.

Now, you can BUY the CNG3, if you dont want to rent one.   3rd party or through rogers.  Though, unfortunately, you will be paying MORE.. as you are paying for the other wireless features, that you wouldnt likely be using.

The CGN3 was on sale for $150 at BB last week - that's about an 11 month payback.  I decided against buying it since I may still switch to Teksavvy if they are able to offer a better Ultimate service with high data caps.

I am guessing that there is also a chance that as more 24x8 modems/gateways are released that we may see Rogers offer other devices that are better than the CGN3 - like the aforementioned SMC and perhaps a Cisco unit as well.  While the CGN3 with the latest firmware is WAY better than it was I am not convinced that it is 100% yet.