cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola SB6120 via Retail Fulfillment?

ian_wilsdon
I Plan to Stick Around

I'll be in the USA tomorrow to buy a Motorola SB6120 D3 Modem for use with my 50/2 Rogers connection. I've heard from several sources in the "dslreports" community that although Rogers claims NOT to support this modem, and can't provision it; some have been able to do so anyway, by calling the Retail Fulfillment line, instead of Customer Care. This is something, I'm told, makes the process a lot easier. Has anyone else been able to have a Motorola SB6120/6121 provisioned to their Rogers account, in good working order?

***edited labels***

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Motorola SB6120 via Retail Fulfillment?

I too have spent the last two months trying to get Rogers to link up my Motorola Surfboard SB6120.  Had about 10 denials on the phone, and another at a store. 
They got it hooked up for Extreme no problem, but for Extreme Plus, no way. 
Then I wisely tried some of the great info on this forum, listed below. As detailed below that, it didn’t work perfectly, but helped Rogers get me to where I wanted to go.  Thanks folks. 

ian_wilsdon

Ouch! Did you try Retail Fulfillment? I'm told that this is the number 1-877-236-7208.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
haonan0312 from dslreports.com

You need add item as Networking device
Choosing the model: SMCD3GN-RRR
Asking the Reps :
add your Cus S/N to Customer SN:
And The other one is Other ID:also put
your Customer SN here.(Usually they put MAC in here. Instead, put in the customer SN again.)
Done
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called the Retail Fulfillment line and got Mary (sent to us from the heavens) somewhere in Newfoundland.  I explained the situation and she gave it a few tries, with no luck.  Then I went through the advice from haonano312 (above).  She took the time to listen and the next thing you know, VOILA,..done.

For the purpose of this forum post I had her outline what she found to work.  

1.  From her list of modem choices she tried several with no luck, but finally chose D3HN Gateway (retail purchase)
2.  Then for Model number, instead of SB6120, she went with SBG6580.
3.  Then for the Mac Address she entered the modem serial number instead. 

Hope this helps some other people from pulling their hair out like myself.   

Betard
I Plan to Stick Around

@slymer wrote:

I too have spent the last two months trying to get Rogers to link up my Motorola Surfboard SB6120.  Had about 10 denials on the phone, and another at a store. 
They got it hooked up for Extreme no problem, but for Extreme Plus, no way. 
Then I wisely tried some of the great info on this forum, listed below. As detailed below that, it didn’t work perfectly, but helped Rogers get me to where I wanted to go.  Thanks folks. 

ian_wilsdon

Ouch! Did you try Retail Fulfillment? I'm told that this is the number 1-877-236-7208.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
haonan0312 from dslreports.com

You need add item as Networking device
Choosing the model: SMCD3GN-RRR
Asking the Reps :
add your Cus S/N to Customer SN:
And The other one is Other ID:also put
your Customer SN here.(Usually they put MAC in here. Instead, put in the customer SN again.)
Done
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I called the Retail Fulfillment line and got Mary (sent to us from the heavens) somewhere in Newfoundland.  I explained the situation and she gave it a few tries, with no luck.  Then I went through the advice from haonano312 (above).  She took the time to listen and the next thing you know, VOILA,..done.

For the purpose of this forum post I had her outline what she found to work.  

1.  From her list of modem choices she tried several with no luck, but finally chose D3HN Gateway (retail purchase)
2.  Then for Model number, instead of SB6120, she went with SBG6580.
3.  Then for the Mac Address she entered the modem serial number instead. 

Hope this helps some other people from pulling their hair out like myself.   

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU! 

I went around in circles for over a week trying to get this done!  Obviously there shouldnt be a work-a-round, especially when the modem CLEARLY works.  They would make the customer and their employees a lot happier if they just added the model into the system for provisioning.  The issue here is its a total gamble finding someone who has dealt with this before.  Othewise (as with my expirience) you end up with people who just don't know (and say 'no its impossible") or people who kind of know and do their best to help.

Thankfully I finally got this sorted, and I only shaved 2yrs off my life. 😜

fastlayne
I've Been Around
That was then, this is now.

I managed to get Fulfillment to add my modem as per the "Mary" technique above, but it would would not "bind to my account". Level 1 tech got word from level 2 tech that 6120 would not be added.
I gave Rogers their chance. Their marketing strategy will give me the opportunity to test my 6120 with Teksavvy and avoid the throttling and other traffic shaping nonsense that I actually pay for in my overage charges when my packets are dropped and then retransmitted.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

I just got an SB6120 and managed to get Rogers to hook it up -- it took a few tries (different customer service reps) but luckily I got one who added without a problem.  Apparently, only Retail Fulfillment can add it to the database, the techs cannot do this.

I only have Express but I get 4 bonded channels for the downstream and no upstream bonding (this is just being rolled out).  So far so good.  I am planning to run it for a few days then up my service level to Extreme.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

Somewhere, somebody would have registered the MAC id.  Otherwise, your modem would remain unrecognized by Rogers' equipment, making an internet connection impossible.

As far as the (customer) serial number goes -- it's practically irrelevant.  The only time it's used is when Rogers customer service reps (Retail Fulfilment) look it up in the database.  However, even if not in the database, they can add it -- **bleep**, they can add an arbitrary sequence of characters as long as the system will accept the format -- it doesn't need to match your actual serial number.  However , Rogers personnel treat this serial number as the modem's name, so when communicating with Rogers on future occasions, you may need to identify this number.  But in no case is the actual serial number needed to make the modem function.

This gives rise to another method for dealing with Retail Fulfillment -- when the rep looks up your serial number in the database and doesn't find it, ask them if there are any similar numbers in the database --- there should be as others including myself have had them added.  The rep can use that serial number (you should note it down for future communication with Rogers) -- just make sure they record your modem's (HFC) Mac id.

Best regards,

ijprest
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks for this!

My first call! After all the horror stories I read on the 'net, I was half expecting to be at this for weeks.

I just called the Retail Fulfullment line. The very-helpful Rogers rep I got didn't know anything about the SB6120, but I told her what was written here, and I was off the phone in less than 11 minutes, which included updating some account information.

After another (tense) 10 minutes, the modem is online and working!

I'm going to test it out for the next few days, but assuming all goes well, I hope to upgrade my plan to Ultimate... 🙂

Thanks again!

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a follow-up.  It turns out Rogers set my modem up on their system as a D2 modem, even though its currently communicating online as a D3 modem (4 downstream channels are bonded).  Since their modem database has nothing to actually do with the infrastructure, the only real problem with this is that the technicians refuse to push out the correct contract file associated with the tier I am paying for.  They keep insisting that I have a D2 modem.  They will not even try to push out the correct contract file.

So then I had Retail Fulfilment try to add my modem again and they created a D3 profile.  But they could not get the Mac ID attached to it because their system told them that this MAC ID belongs to my "D2 modem".  I explained to them that they are the same modem and asked them to delete the information associated with my "D2 modem".  From a number of various Rogers employees (both technical and non-technical) I was told:

- the modem information comes from the manufacturer and they cannot change it

- they cannot delete entries in their database (although they had no problem creating it)

- continued to insist that my modem is a D2 modem 

When I asked to have the call escalated, Retail Fulfulment passed me to Customer Service.  When I asked Customer Service to escalate the call, they passed me to Technical Support and ask for a manager.  When I called Technical Support and asked for a manager, the technician refused to pass me on to a manager in this area and instead was transferred to Customer Service and then finally to someone who claimned to be from the Management Office. Speaking to the person from the Management Office it was clear he had no understanding of the issue; he did not ask any questions and he did not seem eager to listen -- his sole function appears to have been to repeat was he was told.  It's hard to believe this is "management".

I have submitted an entry to the Office of President but I am not holding my breath. I am really shocked at this level of competence.

adabir
I've Been Around

I purchased a Motorola SB6120 from tigerdirect a while ago to replace my SB5100.  I was on the phone for 5 days with various Rogers departments, including Retail Fulfilment, trying to get it added to my account.  Eventually I got someone who knew what he was doing, or so I thought, and he added it as an SBG6580 (or so he told me).  I plugged in my modem and it worked!  I then called Customer Relations to convert my extreme highspeed from the old version (10Mb/s down) to the new 24Mb/s service.  They told me it went through successfully.  24H later, no change.  I called in again, and they told me there was a problem with the service switch.  They opened a ticket.  48H later, I was still in the same place.  Called again, and they told me that the model type for my modem was showing up as an SB5100 (which is the old modem I had) which is of course not Docsis 3 and not compatible with the new extreme service.  I wasted another hour on the phone, and didn't get anywhere.  They have the correct customer S/N and MAC for my new modem, but somehow it is associated with the model type of my old docsis 2 modem.  This was a huge waste of time.  I would recommend to anyone thinking about buying a 3rd party docsis 3 modem for their rogers service to NOT DO IT.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

"I would recommend to anyone thinking about buying a 3rd party docsis 3 modem for their rogers service to NOT DO IT."

Or the other obvious choice is to leave Rogers.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

Another follow-up:

My first submission to the Office of the President was on September 14, 2011.  As at September 21, 2011 (12:22 AM), I have not heard back from anyone from Rogers.  So I submitteed another entry to the Office of the President.

What happened to the "you'll be contacted by an advisor from this group within 48 hours after receiving your complaint"?

Any updates from Rogers on this one? I'm in a similar situation. Thanks in advance!

Hey Guys,

I just tried this and after a few attempts I got someone that was able to add my device using S/N from my 6120. I went to use it and it didnt work. I called tech support, and they said they see the modem in my account, but there is an error when they try and select it. He made a ticket and promoted it to tier two, who said the modem is invalid.

Did you work for you guys with the SN or did you need to change to the MAC at some point?

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

Has anybody been able to add these modems recently?

I am trying to re-use a modem that worked flawlessly with Rogers TPIA service last year

I gave my original S/N to Retail fulfilment but they don't want to try random ones that match the "acceptable format" although in theory that works, that invalidates their process. Huh? I've been on the phone more than an hour, spoke with 10 different reps in customer service, tech support, retail fulfilment and have gotten nowhere. 😞

Did people contacting the office of the president get their modems added?

There was another thread on this as well i think

I beleive the problem is, that yes current users of this modem are allowed to continue using this.. but they are end of life for rogers.. they have chosen not to use them anymore.

Apparently the system will not allow to ADD new ones of this model at all.. even if it was a rented one of theirs that was canceled and then tried to re apply.
That was the last i heard on it.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

What do you mean end of life for Rogers? The SB6120 is DOCSIS 3 with 4x4 bonding. 

Are U getting confused with the DOCSIS 2 SB5101?

Rogers never sold this model, it's a 3rd party purchase modem that is 100% compatible and I used fine with TekSavvy last year 😞

If I leave to TekSavvy or Start they lose 30% revenue, and if I go to Bell they lose 100%.. It makes no business sense to refuse to add a certified working modem. Does Rogers not like to make money any more?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

You are correct chexmix in that the SB6120 has never been sold by Rogers. Rogers employees however have made it very clear that it will not be added despite the fact that it is 100% compatible. The fact that you used this modem with TekSavvy makes no difference at all to Rogers.

Here are a couple of posts:

I can inform you with 100% certainty that the SB6120 stand-alone docsis 3 modem cannot be added to our network at this time. The only modems that can be added are the models already in the Rogers inventory. (RogersAndrew)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2923

In another thread, RogersDarrel posted:

At this time we only support the SMC and Cisco D3 modems available at our Retail locations.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/5498...

I wish you luck in getting it added, but I think you are fighting a losing battle. It is too bad because there are numerous customers who would like to see a stand alone D3 modem authorized by Rogers.

@chex

Yes, sorry i did get them confused, sorry about that.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks guys. I'm astonished. Maybe Rogers will waive my rental fee because my modem that worked a year ago is now suddenly "not approved". If not I will use the  30 day money back guarantee. Is there really no consumer protection for this? It seems I answered my own question- Rogers doesn't like to make money any more, penny wise pound foolish

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it took a little arm twisting and luck but Rogers finally added my modem. There's an option to add generic modems like this SB6120. I wish they didn't make the process so difficult and educated more reps how to do it, there is conflicting info *everywhere*.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

@chexmix wrote:

Well it took a little arm twisting and luck but Rogers finally added my modem. There's an option to add generic modems like this SB6120. I wish they didn't make the process so difficult and educated more reps how to do it, there is conflicting info *everywhere*.

I don't know about generic modems but there are various options,  The simplest seems to be to set it up as a Motorola SBG6580, since Retail Fulfullment have a D3 profile for this already.  Nonetheless, if Retail Fulfilment is unable to register your modem, then  you're out-of-luck, since Technical Support will take over, and these folks simply refuse to setup any modem except the "supported ones".

I had the SB6120 hooked up for almost a year.  Unfortunately, Retail Fullfilment set it up as an SB5120 D2 profile (and I spent endless hours and days with Rogers trying to fix this) , so I could never update to the Extreme package.  Recently, I called in to Retail Fullfilment for kicks to see what 3rd party D3 modem would be "acceptable" and we talked about the SBG6580 and I told him my D3 modem was setup with the wrong profile.  He said he could fix that and setup a SBG6580 profile for my SB6120 and upgraded my internet package to Extreme.   

Now, this was done while I was at work, so had to wait to I got home to test it.  When I did get home to test it, I found out my modem was not registered.  After some enquiry, it turns out the Retail Fullfilment person didn't put in the correct MAC ID.  So now I'm on the line with Technical support to see if they can put in the correct MAC ID and authorize my modem.  Technical support sees the modem information on my account and says "I do not recognize this modem and Rogers does not support it" -- and refused to fix the MAC ID even though I told him that this has been the modem I have been using for the last year and is the only modem I have.

Since, I have a such a long history with this, I was ready to give it up and called to cancel my service (and no I was not going to accept a 30-day waiting period since Rogers had effectively cut-off service).  Anyway, I end up talking to Customer Loyalty which resulting in me getting the Extreme package for half price and free modem rental for 12 months.  I don't like Rogers but I could not pass up on the deal.  So I picked up a Cisco DPC8325 at the Rogers store and am now hooked up on Extreme.  Now I just need to mark the calendar to remember when my contract ends so I can leave just before that date.

MrX
I've Been Around

I just had an SB6121 added by contacting Retail Fulfillment (877 236 7208), who added it "manually" using the Customer SN and the MAC address. Plugged it in and it sync'd right away. Reset my router and I was online. We'll see how long it lasts.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats