Motorola SB6120 via Retail Fulfillment?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Motorola SB6120 via Retail Fulfillment?

I'll be in the USA tomorrow to buy a Motorola SB6120 D3 Modem for use with my 50/2 Rogers connection. I've heard from several sources in the "dslreports" community that although Rogers claims NOT to support this modem, and can't provision it; some have been able to do so anyway, by calling the Retail Fulfillment line, instead of Customer Care. This is something, I'm told, makes the process a lot easier. Has anyone else been able to have a Motorola SB6120/6121 provisioned to their Rogers account, in good working order?

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Motorola SB6120 via Retail Fulfillment?

I wish you luck in getting a 6120 added. Some others have apparently been lucky as well. But Rogers employees on these forums have repeatedly stated that the 6120 is not supported and will not be added. Of course they never give a reason so one might surmise that they are being paid big bucks by SMC to support their piece of **bleep** modems and no others to the detriment of their customers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for wishing me luck. I shall need it, I'm sure.
I Plan to Stick Around

Im doing this as we speak seems to be going well

I Plan to Stick Around

Very good. Please let us know how it turns out.
I Plan to Stick Around

and i was denied 8 times so far

I Plan to Stick Around

Ouch! Did you try Retail Fulfillment? I'm told that this is the number 1-877-236-7208.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have returned from the USA, with my new Motorola SB6120 Cable Modem. I will attempt to get it provisioned tomorrow. I will update my progress.
I Plan to Stick Around

I just got off the phone with Retail Fulfillment. I spoke with a really nice representative named Heather. She expressed that provisioning this modem would be difficult, but not necessarily impossible. She tried adding the SB6120 as a Motorola 5120, as well as manually entering it in as SB6120 with no result. She mentioned that if I had been trying to add a SB5120, she would have been able to override a setting on her end and get it working. She attempted to add the SB6120 as a "Docsis 3 Modem", which DID allow her to continue further. She claimed that the system then took the serial number of my modem without argument, but then gave an error, which she expected, that read something about not allowing this modem for ultimate speed. It seems to me, at this point, since Rogers knows this modem CAN be added, it MUST be simply fooling the Rogers system into thinking the SB6120 is something different. I've heard of success stories with customers calling in and claiming the SB6120 is an SMC device. Heather told me that she was very much willing to attempt this, but added that there are many SMC model numbers, so it may take time. I commend Heather for her devotion to resolving my issue, even if we failed. I will try to call back later in the evening and see what happens. In the meantime, I have emailed forumsupport@rci.rogers.com, with my account/modem information as directed. I will continue to update this thread. Who knows, if this works out, maybe I'll stay with Rogers for another year.
I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke with a few more representatives who informed me that adding a modem by a different name/brand could cause the SB6120, in this case, to be bricked if there is a firmware push which doesn't match the real modem. I admit, my expertise with networking does not extend this far, so I found no point in arguing this. However, since I had already planned to switch to Teksavvy in November, when my contract is up, I decided to switch early. At least I know that my SB6120 will NOT go to waste in May. HOWEVER! I have a new lead for those who wish to attempt to provision a SB6120 regardless of above warning. haonan0312 from dslreports.com says: "You need add item as Networking device Choosing the model: SMCD3GN-RRR Asking the Reps : add your Cus S/N to Customer SN: And The other one is Other ID:also put your Customer SN here.(Usually they put MAC in here. Instead, put in the customer SN again.) Done"