Motorola SB5101 Not Supported??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Motorola SB5101 Not Supported??

I purchased a new Motorola SB5101 from an online US vendor to replace my SB5100 rental unit. I've talked to 4 agents over the past week trying to get it activated with no success (my call got dropped with the 3rd agent). The 12 digit Customer S/N on the SB5101 apparently does not show up in the Rogers database, and the agent cannot proceed. The last agent said the problem is that Rogers does not support the SB5101, only the SB5100. I find this to be astonishing.

Is this true, and has anyone else run into this issue?

thx,

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Motorola SB5101 Not Supported??

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the links - I found them as well myself after I made the original post.

I spoke to a Rogers tech support again re. the SB5101. He confirmed that Rogers does indeed support the SB5101, but  apparently not all unit serial numbers are in their database due to exemption blacklisting for various reasons such as stolen units. If the unit serial number is not in their database, it can't be added to my account.

The unit I bought was advertised as new, but it would be impossible for me to trace any history on it.

I think this is still a runaround story. I am suspect that Motorola ever provides a filtered by contraband list to Rogers. More likely that Rogers is working with perhaps a limited "regional" listing.

Anyone ever gotten this response from Rogers?

I Plan to Stick Around

It could be a run around. Or perhaps a CSR that has no idea how to add the modem to the database, so you get jerked around. I have read on other forums that people have been able to get their modem added, but often with a lot of effort and usually by being referred to second-level support. Don't give up!

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

Any SB5101 can get added into our system as long as our system can take the MAC address of the product.  I have confirmed this with our Care customer chat.  You can access them to get your modem added via this link.  http://www.rogershelp.com/customerserv/cuscare.htm

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersHemel

I expect that the only MAC addresses that would normally show up in your system are those from modems purchased by Rogers,  and scanned into your inventory for rent or resale.

This is the issue.   Not all modems are bought from Rogers.   Third party modems would probably not show in your system inventory of MAC addresses.     What is the Rogers policy about adding a modem that does not show in your list of MAC addresses?   Will you or won't you?    You stated previously that Rogers would add one.    

There are many reports that people cannot get it done,  and reports from others  (not as many)  who say they were successful.     Perhaps  the CSRs  need to be trained specifically on to the process of adding a MAC address to your database of approved units.  

Perhaps  the policy  needs to be clarified so that there is no ambiguity on the rules for third party equipment.   It is not reasonable or fair to have two different standards of service depending on who you talk to in Customer Service.

Not allowing third party units because of the MAC issue is engaging in unfair trade practices.

I'm Here A Lot

@RogersHemal

I had a chat session via the link you posted. Sadly, it was another exercise in frustration.

The person on the other end (someone named Joanne) said she could not not add MAC addresses and that I would need to contact Technical Support. I gave her the link of this thread, but that didn't help. I told her two previous Tech Support guys I spoke to said only Business Agents can make changes like that and I expected the same answer if I spoke to yet another Tech Support guy. I strongly suspect that staff in different departments do not actually ever talk to one another to review process.

Is there someone specific you can point me to for help? Thanks in advance.

I Plan to Stick Around

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing! I actually contacted tech support about adding a Motorola 6120 DOCSIS3 modem because the SMC modem/router combos are garbage. The first agent told me it was not a problem at all. I emailed back to verify this was in fact correct and another agent told me no, it could not be added! These are two different people supposedly working in the same department and they do not know what is going on!

I'm Here A Lot

@DWR

It appears that the OPs in the other two threads are not having any more success than I am. Not good.

Hopefully RogersHemal can sort this out internally and get us all fixed up. A bit like the old "Who's on First" skit. If I wasn't in the middle of it, I would be laughing instead of steaming.

Retired Moderator RogersAndrew
Retired Moderator

I can inform you with 100% certainty that the SB6120 stand-alone docsis 3 modem cannot be added to our network at this time. The only modems that can be added are the models already in the Rogers inventory.