Motorola Quench Android Update - Is It Ever Coming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Motorola Quench Android Update - Is It Ever Coming?

I do really quite like this phone, like most of my previous Motos, it is quite well-made (glass screen) and has decent features.  However, there are a few issues I've noticed while surfing around since the end of July when I received my Quench. On a minor note, battery life is typical of smartphones - dad in a day with moderate use, even with all battery-saving measures inititated.

Most notably, in looking at the Motorola forums for this phone and other devices that they make, it seems Motorola is really dragging their feet on software upgrades, and there have been several months of radio silence on their Non-US Quench User Forum update page:  https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/non-us/motoblur-android/quench. 

The generic Android Software Upgrade page on Motorola's American site gives this cryptic, non-committal nugget of useless information:  QUENCH (Canada) Upgrade under evaluation. Perhaps they think that at the lower end of the Android spectrum, their customers aren't smart enough to care, or do any research.  They are at least in the testing phase with Android 2.1 in the US market with the CLIQ XT - the American version of the Quench.  However, even that is well behind what other manufacturers like LG, HTC and Samsung are doing with their product.  Most are running Froyo (Android 2.2) or are getting it soon.

Does anyone here have any concrete information - or any rumours - about whether this will ever take place?  If not, I am returning my Quench to Rogers in exchange for something else.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Motorola Quench Android Update - Is It Ever Coming?

If anyone cares, I finally got the answer - a resounding "NO".

Checked the Motorola Software Update page yesterday and here's what it reads for this model:

"QUENCH (Canada) Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience".

Double whammy - the USA is getting Android 2.1 for the CLIQ XT (essentially the same phone for their market), and I see from the signage in Best Buy that the Quench is being dropped very shortly from the Rogers lineup. This tells me all I need to know about Motorola and how much they care.

Great - not only was I lied to by two separate Rogers phone reps who assured me in late July that the fall would definitely bring an update, I'm now stuck with a dud for the next three years, or until I've amassed enough "revenue" for the company to qualify for another hardware upgrade.  The good news is it still is a gem of an entry-level phone and about 80% of the apps in the Android Market are still coded for 1.5.

Way to go, Motorola and Rogers.   Smiley Mad

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If anyone cares, I finally got the answer - a resounding "NO".

Checked the Motorola Software Update page yesterday and here's what it reads for this model:

"QUENCH (Canada) Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience".

Double whammy - the USA is getting Android 2.1 for the CLIQ XT (essentially the same phone for their market), and I see from the signage in Best Buy that the Quench is being dropped very shortly from the Rogers lineup. This tells me all I need to know about Motorola and how much they care.

Great - not only was I lied to by two separate Rogers phone reps who assured me in late July that the fall would definitely bring an update, I'm now stuck with a dud for the next three years, or until I've amassed enough "revenue" for the company to qualify for another hardware upgrade.  The good news is it still is a gem of an entry-level phone and about 80% of the apps in the Android Market are still coded for 1.5.

Way to go, Motorola and Rogers.   Smiley Mad

View solution in original post

Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Creaulx,

Please refer to manufacturer Motorola on Android updates regarding the Motorola Quench.

OS updates to a device are up to the manufacturer, it has to be provided to us before we can test and release as appropriate.

Feel free to email me at  forumsupport@rci.rogers.com if you have any questions.

Thanks

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Every Country that has the Quench Outside of the US has a complaint about Motorola ONLY upgrading American customers. I just got this quench from Rogers because it was being promoted as a great phone which fit my needs exactly as I took into account it was getting an upgrade. I have had the phone three weeks and now... its no longer termed as a smartphone as it CANNOT be upgraded. I needed a phone which could go on the web and as I do Flash based websites I cannot view them. Flash is NOT supported with Version 1.5. So much for spending money on the data plan which means that I upgraded for nothing. Went from spending 60 dollars a month to $100 a month for 3 more years . You're welcome Rogers for the $3600.00 for an inadequate phone which I based my research on Rogers information .  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Oh Great News! Sounds like I just got sucked in. I've had nothing but problems with my present phone (HTC Dream) since I got it 2 years ago. It is now totally crashed and beyond repair. The only option Rogers had for me (other than an upgrade in the range of $300), was to send me a Motorola Quench, for which I will be billed the amount $79.99. Sounds like I'm going to be getting another loser phone, and have been charged for a phone that Rogers is doing away with!!!

I have been quite disappointed with Rogers as it is, and after knowing this, I'll be switching back to my previous provider when my contract is up in a year!!