Modems + Rogers = Unhappy Customer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrsveder
I've Been Here Awhile

Modems + Rogers = Unhappy Customer

Man Im starting to hate Rogers there so over priced and the service is run by people who have no clue what there talking about 

I rent the Hitron CGN2 which is terribly unstable and slow (when rogers say the service is perfect and not being congested with the neighbours)  after many calls I have been told to not plug into a power bar followed by a fast now call us back if you have problems, then changing the password, then place in the center of the house, turning it on and off, basically fast answers followed by call us back if it still happens.

The worst was the last guy said this router is terrible and the upgrade is a bit pricey maybe you should look at buying your own.

So I looked into it I got myself a Router Asus RT N66U, and I wanted to use a cisco DPC 3825 to bridge the router,

I call tech support who says customer support can only do this, then to be told its not compatible when it was used on the same roger connection 2 weeks ago (different house same package)

For what I can only imagine was jokes the rogers agent said they if I returned there router Id still have to pay a rental charge this is were I started being very irritated. 

I was told the reason being its not rogers,

Me: it is,

Rogers: Oh sorry I mean its a different kind of router,

Me: no its Docsis 3 with the same amount of channels,

Rogers: No I mean the insides are different,

Me: you dont know what your talking about do you,

Rogers: "silence"

Ive heard others having this problem but any advice for me ?

Why are they so anti 3rd party modems ?? I pay for your service not your equipment with rental charges or your insane buy out prices that cost the same as Asus new AC tri band routers (YOU ARE NUTS ROGERS)

Is it worth staying with em ? Ive tried everything, They wont allow my equipment, wont refund some of the cost as 80% of the time the net is unuseable (I can only dl during the night, Online gaming is out the window)

I dont think ive ever been happy with any of there services and there outdated equipment for one of the most expensive telecoms companys in Canada to compare to USA, Ireland and England the standard is a discrase!!!

FLAME OVER !!! 

The Cisco® Model DPC3825 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0  downstream data rates in excess of 340 Mbps

Hitron CGN2 delivers speeds of up to 300Mbps (8×4)

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Modems + Rogers = Unhappy Customer

Ok, this is really straight forward. From what I remember, the 3825 can run in Bridge mode. Hopefully someone can quickly confirm that for me. With the modem in Bridge mode, you can then run the ASUS RT-N66U in full router mode. I run a CGN3 in bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U as do many others here. I just scanned thru the manual for the 3825 and didn’t find any entries on Bridge mode, so I presume that tech support has to kick it into Bridge mode. From there, if you ever had to, you can return to Gateway mode by running a factory reset, and that is done by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 10 seconds and releasing it.

The 3825 is only an 8 channel downstream, 4 channel upstream modem whereas the CGN3 is currently configured for 20 channels down, 4 up (3 or 4 in use). Rogers limits the 8 channel modems to the lower speed packages. There was a decision recently to allow these to run the 60 Mb/s down package but I don’t know if that is still in effect. Chances are that the modem is limited to the packages that are less than that. The reason for that is to run higher speeds on the higher tier modems which spreads the load per channel across 20 channels instead of 8, so the chances of channel gridlock with numerous users running higher speeds is greatly reduced.

Fwiw, Future Shop has the CGN3 on sale at the moment for $150 and you get a $50 gift card with that. That is something worth considering as you no longer pay for the modem rental, and it pays off in about a year, depending on what you are replacing.

For the moment, you should be able to call tech support and simply ask them to bridge the 3825. Once done, connect your N66U and you should be in business.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, this is really straight forward. From what I remember, the 3825 can run in Bridge mode. Hopefully someone can quickly confirm that for me. With the modem in Bridge mode, you can then run the ASUS RT-N66U in full router mode. I run a CGN3 in bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U as do many others here. I just scanned thru the manual for the 3825 and didn’t find any entries on Bridge mode, so I presume that tech support has to kick it into Bridge mode. From there, if you ever had to, you can return to Gateway mode by running a factory reset, and that is done by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 10 seconds and releasing it.

The 3825 is only an 8 channel downstream, 4 channel upstream modem whereas the CGN3 is currently configured for 20 channels down, 4 up (3 or 4 in use). Rogers limits the 8 channel modems to the lower speed packages. There was a decision recently to allow these to run the 60 Mb/s down package but I don’t know if that is still in effect. Chances are that the modem is limited to the packages that are less than that. The reason for that is to run higher speeds on the higher tier modems which spreads the load per channel across 20 channels instead of 8, so the chances of channel gridlock with numerous users running higher speeds is greatly reduced.

Fwiw, Future Shop has the CGN3 on sale at the moment for $150 and you get a $50 gift card with that. That is something worth considering as you no longer pay for the modem rental, and it pays off in about a year, depending on what you are replacing.

For the moment, you should be able to call tech support and simply ask them to bridge the 3825. Once done, connect your N66U and you should be in business.

View solution in original post

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

The Rogers firmware on the DPC3825 will let the user enable bridge mode; I've done it back when I had a DPC3825...
And if you want to switch back to gateway mode (or view your cable signal statistics), just go to http://192.168.100.1/ which works to reach the DPC3825's admin interface even when bridged (unlike the CGN3)
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, exactly, and here is the link for the instructions:

www.rogers.com/web/support/Internet/home-networking/247

For some reason this doesn't show up in the Cisco user manual.  The language on the router page might be slightly different from what the instructions indicate but it should be easy to understand.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

For some reason this doesn't show up in the Cisco user manual.

I don't think it's a 'standard' option available in all versions of the firmware; I think it's an 'extra' option that Cisco put in the Rogers firmware. I seem to remember hearing years ago that Shaw DPC3825s couldn't be bridged without a call to tech support...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mrsveder, rereading thru your first post, I'd like to explain the issue with the power bar.  Quoting from Wikipedia here, here is the main issue with power bars:

Surge suppression is usually provided by one or more metal-oxide varistors (MOVs), which are inexpensive two-terminal semiconductors. These act as very high speed switches, momentarily limiting the peak voltage across their terminals. By design, MOV surge limiters are selected to trigger at a voltage somewhat above the local mains supply voltage, so that they do not clip normal voltage peaks, but clip abnormal higher voltages. In the US, this is (nominally) 120 VAC. It should be borne in mind that this voltage specification is RMS, not peak, and also that it is only a nominal (approximate) value.

Mains electrical power circuits are generally grounded (earthed), so there will be a live (hot) wire, a neutral wire, and a ground wire. Low-cost power strips often come with only one MOV mounted between the live and neutral wires. More complete (and desirable) power strips will have three MOVs, connected between each possible pair of wires. Since MOVs degrade somewhat each time they are triggered, power strips using them have a limited, and unpredictable, protective life. Some power strips have "protection status" lights which are designed to turn off if protective MOVs connected to the live wire have failed, but such simple circuits cannot detect all failure modes (such as failure of a MOV connected between neutral and ground).

When the metal-oxide varistor starts to break down, it can generate Radio Frequency noise that can bleed into the RG-6 cable that feeds the modem, and into the ethernet cable that exits the modem.  That noise can severely degrade the signal levels and signal to noise ratios in both the RG-6 and ethernet cables.  I routinely ask if people use them and ask to have them disconnected if I suspect that there is an issue with noise in the RG-6 cable.  So that is a very reasonable trouble shooting step to take in order to isolate a problem.  It is possible to look at the signal levels and signal to noise ratios in the RG-6 cable by looking at the tables from the DOCSIS WAN page of the modem's user interface.  By doing that it is easy to determine if there is a problem or not, and with a disconnection, determine if that was the source of a problem.  Problems with the power bar are infrequent from what I have seen, but when they occur, they can be very difficult to determine as everyone thinks that the power bar is nothing but a straight through connector assembly.  As a result, no one thinks to disconnect the power bar when troubleshooting the modem.  The presence of the metal-oxide varistor, while beneficial over its lifetime, can in some cases lead to problems in modems and networks.

mrsveder
I've Been Here Awhile

I can put the router into bridge mode no bother,

The cisco router menus are very well made its a clickable menu,

And to be limited to 60Mb would be a massive upgrade from me were on the 30mb package and ive yet to see it go over 2mb/second 

But rogers are saying this router is supported "as the insides are different" 

Im gonna call rogers tomorrow and cancle all together. 

The Hitron CGN2 is not worth $150 its a basic modem and a terribly cheap wifi component thrown in.

Company is a shambles with uneducated staff but me thinks thats the way they like to do business

Teksavy have some decency to let you pay it off over 6 month, Rogers would rent it for you till the end of time.

Funny that Europe ISP give modems and  routers for free, its the norm as is uncapped limits

I have yet to hear some one promote rogers lol

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so are you running a CGN2 or the 3825?

mrsveder
I've Been Here Awhile

Im renting the CGN2 but I want to give it back and use the Cisco to just bridge to my Asus N66U Rooter and not pay rental charges, Roger says its the older technology but its Docsis 3.0 8x4 same as my CGN2 so should be no differnce.

What do you feel about the jump from 8 to 24 ?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I bought a CGN3 when it was on sale, and bridged it so that I can run the RT-AC68U in full router mode.  No regrets.  I'm running the 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up plan and see 327 Mb/s down and 22 Mb/s up, peak speeds that is.  The one thing to remember is that the modem rental is built into the plan price.  If you own your own modem, the plan price drops.  VivienM is the expert on that and can offer better advice on the subject, but I think at the lower tiers the modem rental is $8.  So no matter what modem you are "renting", you are still paying a rental fee.

To bridge either modem, connect the Asus router and get the router up and running should be straightforward.  It is possible to just turn off the wifi on the modem, leaving it in gateway mode and use the router as an access point for wifi and for wired connections as well.