Modem has been hacked

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Modem has been hacked

My Rogers Cisco DPC3825 modem has been hack by my neigbours.  They are viewing the websites I go to and my emails and banking information. 

After I factory reset that modem, when i went to change the default password for the cusadmin account, a prompt asked me which account i would like to change: cusadmin, 0, or , < >. 

The default password had been changed previously as that was the first thing I did.

Can I charge them?  It cant be legal to to this.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Modem has been hacked

Just by hacking into your router.. they can not view all that information... unless they are doing OTHER things as well such as packet sniffing/capturing, etc, to be able to get all that information.

THe most normally, would be to just use your usage, etc.

Really all you can do, is change the CUSadmin password.. and change your wireless password.

There has been some concern over the security of that unit in particular lately... if you are renting it.. you might want to consider, even just for piece of mind, would be to go and swap it for a different model unit.

Then obviously re-set up all the security again.

I've Been Here Awhile

These people are neighbours of mine that live in the apartment above me.  I know they have access to this information, as I can hear them commenting regarding such things.  These people have targeted me.  It wasnt them that hacked my modem, because they do not have the knowledge to do that, but they have gotten a friend to assist them.  I could even hear these people commenting when I was trying to change the default password after the factory reset, so they could view that somehow.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you believe this to be true, I would offer some advice. First take your modem back to Rogers store if its a rental and exchange it for a Hitron version 1 thats black and red. Same price for rental as the Cisco. Second I would invest in your own router rather then using Rogers as you'll have more control over passwords and network names etc. One you swap out the modem and get your own router, put the Rogers modem in to BRIDGE mode by calling Rogers tech support that way you disable its router funtion and just have it as a modem. 

Also if you feel this is what they truly are doing, maybe talk to your local police to see what they can help with. Once all thats said and done change all your passwords on accounts and emails and never use the same password for all your accounts.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

or maybe you should just check your walls for peepholes Smiley Wink
I've Been Here Awhile

This sound unbelievable, as to why someone would go through the trouble, however one of the people I know from a previous address.  The type of people that are awake all night, and have nothing better to do.  Although I do not have proof, this person may have started an online smear campaign agasinst me as well.