Modem as a Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Modem as a Gateway

What modem do I need, if I have my own Apple Airport Time Capsule. I like the fastest speed but not sure if I need the Advanced Wifi or Rocket for 12/monthly rental. 

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Modem as a Gateway

All of the Hitron CGN3 series modems will run the fastest 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up data rates.  The difference is, the CGN3ACSMR has had a firmware update to take care of the latency to and thru the modem, among other fixes to address latency intolerant applications and devices.  The CGN3 and CGN3AC have not had the same firmware treatment to take care of the latency issues.  So, speedwise it doesn't matter which modem you use.  With your own router, you don't need a modem such as the CGN3ACSMR which has 802.11ac capability, unless of course the Time Capsule doesn't have it and you have devices which can take advantage of 802.11ac data rates.  Having said that, if latency is a concern, then the CGN3ACSMR is the way to go.  I run that modem in Bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U router, and with the 250/20 service, I see 328/22 peak rates on a speedtest, running wired or wifi using 802.11ac.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Modem as a Gateway

All of the Hitron CGN3 series modems will run the fastest 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up data rates.  The difference is, the CGN3ACSMR has had a firmware update to take care of the latency to and thru the modem, among other fixes to address latency intolerant applications and devices.  The CGN3 and CGN3AC have not had the same firmware treatment to take care of the latency issues.  So, speedwise it doesn't matter which modem you use.  With your own router, you don't need a modem such as the CGN3ACSMR which has 802.11ac capability, unless of course the Time Capsule doesn't have it and you have devices which can take advantage of 802.11ac data rates.  Having said that, if latency is a concern, then the CGN3ACSMR is the way to go.  I run that modem in Bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U router, and with the 250/20 service, I see 328/22 peak rates on a speedtest, running wired or wifi using 802.11ac.

View solution in original post