Mobile security...do you really need it?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Mobile security...do you really need it?

I have Lookout Pro and have my eyes on Kaspersky. What do you use?

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Mobile security...do you really need it?

You don't need this kind of security apps if you only download popular apps an the Android Market or other officials sources.
If you often install random apps from the Android Market or install pirated apps downloaded from random websites, you should install security apps but that won't protect you very well except if your phone is rooted. Unlike PC antivirus, Android antivirus don't have any right to act on any malicious app without user intervention.
Bottom line, you don't need more security software on Android than on Mac OS X, Linux....
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Mobile security...do you really need it?

@Mathieu wrote:
You don't need this kind of security apps if you only download popular apps an the Android Market or other officials sources.
If you often install random apps from the Android Market or install pirated apps downloaded from random websites, you should install security apps but that won't protect you very well except if your phone is rooted. Unlike PC antivirus, Android antivirus don't have any right to act on any malicious app without user intervention.
Bottom line, you don't need more security software on Android than on Mac OS X, Linux....

Makes sense. I don't use any AV on my Mac either but also I don't download any apps from 3rd parties except the app store. Thanks.