Mobile Hotspot on BBPassport

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Mobile Hotspot on BBPassport

Using 'Pay-As-You-Go' plan with Rogers, but unable to establish mobile hotspot on my BBPassport.  Keep getting a message saying that 'Cannot start Mobile Hotspot due to a temporary network problem.  Please try again later'. 

Is there a restriction on this plan for mobile hotspot use?  I work out of country for 2 month periods, so a regular plan with monthly billing is not practical.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Mobile Hotspot on BBPassport

Hi @2gcr,

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the forums.Smiley Happy

I can see you're trying to use mobile hotspot on your Blackberry Passport, unfortunately the personal hotspot feature is disabled on Pay As You Go (prepaid) plans.

Regards,
RogersArthur

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @2gcr,

I can see you're trying to use mobile hotspot on your Blackberry Passport, unfortunately the personal hotspot feature is disabled on Pay As You Go (prepaid) plans.

Regards,
RogersArthur

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

How do I actually get to talk to a real person when calling rather than the endless round of 'self help' messages???

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @2gcr,

To contact Pay As You Go you'll call 1 800 575-9090 and you should receive following automated recording:

"Welcome to Rogers pay as you go self care customer line"

It repeats the same thing in french followed by a 3 second pause before going to the following options:

"To add money press 1"

"For your account information press 2"

"For account changes press 3"

"For general information press 4"

Choosing any of the choices will prompt the following option:

"Please enter your pay as you go 10 digit phone number starting with the area code"

This will place you into a priority queue for the next available representative (real person).

Hope this helps.

RogersArthur

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@RogersArthur wrote:

Hi @2gcr,

Regards,
RogersArthur

Is there a valid reason for restricting access to mobile hotspot on prepaid plans?  Doesn't make sense to me. 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @2gcr,

The reason why tethering / personal hotspot is disabled on prepaid plans. Is because of the data usage rates and the speed in which the data would be used up. So mainly to prevent a user from being billed with these types of data fees. Compared to regular data use the tethering charges can get quite expensive.

RogersArthur

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@RogersArthur wrote:

Hi @2gcr,

The reason why tethering / personal hotspot is disabled on prepaid plans. Is because of the data usage rates and the speed in which the data would be used up. So mainly to prevent a user from being billed with these types of data fees. Compared to regular data use the tethering charges can get quite expensive.

RogersArthur

Shouldn't that be my choice?  My work and travel precludes me having a post paid plan.  On occasion mobile hotspot would be a benfit.  I can't choose?  Not capable to make that choice?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @2gcr,

Thank you for the information, choice is good (offered in other types of plans).Smiley Happy So far the Pay As You Go plans are more geared for users on the go that's not looking to be on a contract, means no monthly bill, no hidden charges and no surprises with basic functions, features and options. Personal Hotspot is not compatible on the Pay As You Go plans for at least a few of the above reasons. We're always working on improving plans in order to deliver the best wireless service to our customers. Please stay tuned and/or check here for updates.

Thanks.

RogersArthur

I've Been Around

I seen and understand what was said .... however AT&T pay as you go plans do in fact allow mobile hot spot (I have done it) .  The other thing is that as a Pay as you Go Customers of Rogers you can select a Data Addon for 15$ per month that should be perfect for the one time requirements of needing/creating a Hot Spot ..... but even after signing up for the Data Addon the Mobiile Hotspot is disabled.