Missing Channels Randomly on Digital Boxes The Answer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Missing Channels Randomly on Digital Boxes The Answer

Okay I am sure there are a lot of people experiencing this. All of a sudden several of your channels are black screens. If you reboot your box they come back.

This has been happening to me for well over a month, and I have been talking to Rogers ever since.

3 Tech visits and if this tech is right we have an answer.

FIRWARE, yes that's what the tech has told me, and since we all know the new boxes are problematic and the software is the same for all 3 NextBoxes he told me there is the problem.

There is a fix that is being rolled out in a smaller community than Toronto (Won't tell you which so that customers from there don't flood the phones).

He told me if it works with no glitches it will be rolled out to the rest of the areas starting on the 7th. Unfortunately no idea about the CEC bug though. Smiley Sad

which also really needs a fix since it is messing up a lot of Tv sets and receivers

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Missing Channels Randomly on Digital Boxes The Answer

There is a new firmware being rolled out for the NB2 (8642 and 4642) as well as the NB3.  Its being rolled out in stages.

I have the NB3..and DONT loose any black channels.  My 4642 in the basement doesnt loose channels either... my 4642, does ocassionaly have that issue though.. BUT its signal, is JUST on the boarder of being OK.. so its more likely a signal issue on that box.

I Plan to Stick Around

The Tech did say that it is a firmware issue and not the Box since the channels that disappear are random. The signal here checked out fine, so I hope he is correct in what he told me, anyway it looks like I should know on the 7th if the rollout goes okay.

Odd thing is I've had this box for 5 months and it has been fine so it is strange that a firmware bug would affect it now.

If he was wrong I better start watching everything I have recorded and get a new Box, but every tech I talked to said it isn't the box.

I've Been Around

Thanks for the info. I have the same problem with NB2 8642HD and came to this forum to find anwsers.  I spend 1 hour on the phone waiting to talk to tech support before giving up. I'm in the Ottawa area.

I Plan to Stick Around

wait 5 minutes and you will have a new problem!!!!!Smiley Frustrated

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have the 8642HD- PVR but so far (touch wood) have not experienced that problem. I'm also in the Ottawa area.
I Plan to Stick Around

The update came through my box the other night, and will see if it fixes the black channels problem as I was told. The sound drop issue is still present I can confirm.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sound drop issue is still present with the new firmware.  I haven't had a chance to investigate the "black channel" issue further as one channel always blacks out at the same time everyday.  I've (re-)opened the same ticket with Rogers on multiple occasions to keep being told it's a signal issue (by tech repair) and when a second level tech comes out, I'm told my signal levels are fine. 

Doubt the problem is fixed.  I'll set my box up tomorrow to record at the time where the channel drops out.

Of interest, I've run into the 'program may have been deleted or not enough resources are available' error message when trying to play a show on the 4642 that was recorded on the NB3 and played fine there.  Headaches.

I Plan to Stick Around

So far so good since the update no black channels, however cec issue and sound drop still present. Hope the black channel patch works from now on, but will let everyone know if it comes back.