cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misled by store rep

SMcCann91
I've Been Around
I signed up for a deal on Black Friday at the Rogers store to upgrade my phone. I was receiving a Sonos Bluetooth speaker as a free gift and was told I was eligible to receive an iPad free of charge - with the service charges for the line waived for the two year contract. This was a deal I couldn’t pass up naturally, so I upgraded to the iPhone 11. I Received my speaker and my iPad and was told I’d have an expensive phone bill the first month but they would credit me it back including the activation fee and the monthly service fee and would know what it was pertaining to so I wont have any issues. I was assured they’d know what it was all about due to my account being set up on Black Friday. It was an easy process and I was very happy.

About a month goes by, I see the charges on my account. $350+ phone bill. I call the Rogers support line and I’m on hold for a long time trying to figure it out with them. Ultimately, They tell me I’d have to go back into the store and speak with the employees there because the Black Friday deal didn’t include an iPad it was only eligible for Huawei tablets at no charge.

I return to the store that day and speak with them. The employee on shift confirmed over the phone with the other employee, Ryan, who had done the deal on Black Friday what had happened. They admitted fault, confirmed it was no fault of my own. I have this on recording. It took almost a week bouncing around and playing phone tag with regional management to come to some form of resolution. They stated that they wanted to do the right thing because it was no fault of my own and I appreciated that. I wasn’t trying to screw anyone over. On that end, I appreciate the service I received I guess.

In the end though, I ended up having to give the iPad back and they removed the line from my account. I did incur a financial loss because I wasn’t credited all the fees I incurred and I went out and bought expensive accessories to protect my iPad for the device that cost me money out of my own pocket. I also spent countless hours trying to obtain a solution because nobody made an effort to reach out to me when they said they would. I’m thankful that they were able to remove it from the account because I didn’t want to pay $300 a year for an iPad that was supposed to cost me nothing and it was past the 15 day mark (or whatever reasoning they normally have) so they could have told me to kick sand.. but I also lost a $669 value in the form of an iPad I was promised for upgrading my device. I don’t feel the agreement I had was fulfilled and that I was mislead. Overall not happy with the resolution and I think when it’s time to upgrade again I’ll shop elsewhere based on end result.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Misled by store rep

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @SMcCann91!

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Though it's true that that particular promotion was specific to the Huawei tablet, it is clear that the ball was dropped here and the situation certainly could have been prevented. We do apologize for the misinformation provided and the experience that ensued. We want to ensure that all information provided to our customer's is clear and most certainly accurate.

I know it's not the ideal solution you had in mind but I am glad to hear that the situation was eventually corrected for you.

@RogersAndy

Tamra070
I've Been Here Awhile
The same thing has happened to me. I declined the tablet and accepted the free bluetooth earbuds. I looked at my phone bill and realized I've been financing these "free" earbuds. This was from Rogers in Courtenay BC . I didnt think I was being scammed because when I read through my billing and signed it, it did not say anything about financing earbuds. I no longer live in that area to go back to the store. I would like my money back for these and future billing taken off my account.

Hello, @Tamra070

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We're sad to hear that you feel as if you've been misled by one of our retail representatives. 😞

We can certainly look into this to see what options are available to remedy this for you. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started on this for you.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

RogersTony

Tamra070
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, I feel I have been misled by a salesman at Rogers in Courtenay, BC. 

He told me if I changed from Bell to Rogers he would throw in ear buds. 

When I got my first bill I realized I am actually financing these ear buds he told me he would throw in for free. He even brought his manager out and the manager agreed that it was ok to throw them in. The financing bill in general is not a lot of money for someone who makes a lot of money but the principle is just that. I will be going back to bell because in my 23 years with them I have never been scammed by them. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tamra070 wrote:

Hi there, I feel I have been misled by a salesman at Rogers in Courtenay, BC. 

He told me if I changed from Bell to Rogers he would throw in ear buds. 

When I got my first bill I realized I am actually financing these ear buds he told me he would throw in for free. He even brought his manager out and the manager agreed that it was ok to throw them in. The financing bill in general is not a lot of money for someone who makes a lot of money but the principle is just that. I will be going back to bell because in my 23 years with them I have never been scammed by them. 

How do those earbuds appear on the paperwork that you signed?  It might be a simple matter of a code for a credit that is not getting applied.  It may even be in the billing system but not getting applied due to a technical glitch or something about the code that the billing system doesn't like.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When my wife got her last phone, they threw in a 'free' cellular enabled tablet.
If you look at the paperwork, its really not FREE, its $X per month, but they discount that much further down.
In this case, the 'add it to the data plan' fee per month, is discounted too.

Now, when the 2 years is up, the data plan fee will start being charged.. so could choose to remove that if we wanted.
(though I have kept that one alive for now, and taken the sim out of the tablet, and use on my cellular router we have for in the trailer)

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation