cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Center PC needs STB on 100% of time but Rogers Explorer (Cisco 4640) shuts off

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

My Media Center PC expects the cable STB to be ON 100% of the time for 24 by 7 recording. Smiley Embarassed

But the Rogers box updates the guide etc. around 2am on many nights. When the update is finished the Rogers box turns itself off. Smiley Mad

The Media Center PC changes channels on the STB via an IR blaster but it doesn't (and cannot) check to see if the STB is on or off. We can't just blindly send a power toggle command because on some nights the STB stays on and the power toggle command would turn the STB off, which we don't want.

Is there an elegant solution to this conundrum?

***Edited labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Media Center PC needs STB on 100% of time but Rogers Explorer (Cisco 4640) shuts off

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately.. no 😞

Which STB are you using.. just an SD one?
And what TV package?

ONLY thing i could kinda think.. would be to use the DTA.. only allows channels 1-60.. but no guide, etc.. nothing to update.. and i dont beleive that they update like the other STBs..

Re: Media Center PC needs STB on 100% of time but Rogers Explorer (Cisco 4640) shuts off

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around
It's an HD box (Cisco Explorer 4640.) this is the non PVR version. I pay for most channels (no HBO, movies etc.)
Channels 1-60 just won't do sorry. I want to be able to record everything with the Media Center PC that I pay for.

K,  was just trying to come up with an option. 
If you were someone with say just basic cable.. it would work fine.
(A LOT of media center PC people that i know, only have basic, as they are only running standard input cards.. which will only take an SD feed... you need to have one of the higher happauge ones to take full HD in, etc.)

Unfortunately i dont really have any other ideas 😞

Are you recording in HD? or just SD anyways?  I wonder if the SD box has the same reboots.. as its on the older SARA guide.

Unfortunately.. beyond THEIR hardware... (sd/hd/pvr box), NO carrier will guarantee ANYTHING else to be compatible.. even your TV per say.. let alone a DVR, VCR, etc. 

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation