Maximum Transmission Unit and Xbox Live

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tangomike88
I'm Here A Lot

Maximum Transmission Unit and Xbox Live

So I tried searching through the forums and couldn't find anything regarding MTU settings for my router and finding out what setting it should be at by ROGERS, anything I did find was in french which I cannot fully read.

I have a R6300 NETGEAR router and had an issue with a few games and the games not being totally  in sync with my controller. So I called NETGEAR and Microsoft and they told me to try adjusting the MTU on my router and by finding out what setting I should be using by contacting ROGERs.

I ended up calling ROGERS but only had them say they basically said "we don't use MTU" which then I came to an understanding as she had no idea what it even meant... MTU is basic transferring of files.

I have 250Mbps D/L and 10Mbps U/L and that is where the problem lies and because my download rate is so much higher then my upload rate; my games tend to become out of sync.

My question here is does anyone know what I should be adjusting my MTU settings to? By default it is at 1500 but that is standard on the R6300 router. I tried a few and did some ping tests but found it only helped for a minute or two in game before it went back to me having a delay.

I also did get the new firmware in regards to league of legends latency issues which was fixed.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Maximum Transmission Unit and Xbox Live

in most cases you dont need to change the MTU. 
In a standard setting 1500 is more than enough... going to anything higher often requires specific equipment, which fully supports it (eg, other swtiches, network cards, etc may not support anything higher properly).

The difference between your DL and UL speed differences should not make a difference in a game.
If ANY game is using more than probably 1/2 a mb up and a few mb down... there is an issue with that game.
Otherwise gaming would use up INSANE usage... and no one would have been able to game online on previous internet connections which were 1mbps or less.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

in most cases you dont need to change the MTU. 
In a standard setting 1500 is more than enough... going to anything higher often requires specific equipment, which fully supports it (eg, other swtiches, network cards, etc may not support anything higher properly).

The difference between your DL and UL speed differences should not make a difference in a game.
If ANY game is using more than probably 1/2 a mb up and a few mb down... there is an issue with that game.
Otherwise gaming would use up INSANE usage... and no one would have been able to game online on previous internet connections which were 1mbps or less.

View solution in original post

tangomike88
I'm Here A Lot

With new console games exceeding limits and do use as much of your download speed as you your ISP can; the problem is indeed my game downloading files faster then it can upload and causing desync with response times on certain games and hence giving me a delay in controller reaction.

This happens with mainly sport and shooter games and adjusting the MTU should fix this according to Microsoft and NETGEAR but this is were I need help with a ROGERS rep into giving me more specific information on what MTU I should be adjusting too. SHould be different, depending on Internet packages.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The MTU will not change with changes to package data rates.  The maximum MTU used on Rogers network is 1500.  There is an easy way to determine that.  Bring up a command prompt and type:

ping www.google.ca -l 1472 -f

as shown in the following results.  -l (as in small L) sets the buffer size.  -f sets the Don't Fragment Flag.  In addition to the number of bits that are used as indicated in the buffer size, there is an additional 28 bits of IP/ICMP header data that is added automatically.  So, with a buffer of 1472, the ping test succeeds.  Add 28 bits and you end up with 1500 bits for a maximum MTU size.  If you increase the buffer to 1473, adding one bit, the ping test fails as the data requires fragmenting due to the fact that it exceeds the MTU size when you take into account the additional 28 bits.  On the second run the ping test fails with a 100 % loss. 

C:\Users\test>ping www.google.ca -l 1472 -f

Pinging www.google.ca [74.125.226.127] with 1472 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.226.127: bytes=1472 time=28ms TTL=56
Reply from 74.125.226.127: bytes=1472 time=27ms TTL=56
Reply from 74.125.226.127: bytes=1472 time=28ms TTL=56
Reply from 74.125.226.127: bytes=1472 time=30ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.127:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 28ms

C:\Users\test>ping www.google.ca -l 1473 -f

Pinging www.google.ca [74.125.226.127] with 1473 bytes of data:
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for 74.125.226.127:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Do you use QOS or any other traffic monitoring in the router.  If so, it will slow the data rates through the router.  Personal opinion, you should try a test, directly connecting the XBox to the modem, with the modem running in gateway mode and ports forwarded as necessary or with the UPNP Enabled.  Take the router out of the picture for test purposes only, and see what you end up with for gaming results. 

I noticed that you only had 10 Mb/s upload indicated in your first post.  Is your area rated for 20 Mb/s?  You would have to call Tech Support to ask that question, and if it is rated for 20 Mb/s, then your modem should be configured by Tech Support to run at 20 Mb/s upload rates.