cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Folks,

I have attached an external 1TB Hard Drive to my Gateway/Modem. How do I map it to access it?

Thanks.

***edited labels***

128 REPLIES 128

Re: Mapping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

KerryForest
I Plan to Stick Around

It may have worked easily for you DM but for some of us it was a long slog. Trying out different approaches and addresses, resetting computers and the router, ensuring that Windows options were correct etc etc. In my case I spent a week or more playing with things - and I know a thing or two about wireless networks. Suddenly it magically worked but I have no clue what instigated this change. In fact the only thing I can remember doing was plugging a couple of hard-wired computers into the router. Go figure!

Re: Mapping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

bigdee2015
I Plan to Stick Around
I apologize if my reply came off like 'everyone should get this' was certainly not my intention.. I've been a tech for many many years working with non-tech people. When my clients say things like 'I don't know how you did that, you make it seem so easy...' I always tell them I'm a tech, that's what I do, you make your job look easy, not something I could ever do either.. In other words just because I think my job is easy, I don't think yours is 😃 I do my job, you do yours. I wouldn't work on my car, I'd take it to an automotive tech who knows what to do. Similarly the auto tech wouldn't work on his computer, he'd take it to a computer tech 😃
When I said this was easy, I was referring to the steps in writing to be followed. Bad choice of words..
I will say that Rogers hardware is not without problems. I've taken back digital boxes more times than I can count and routers/modems to. Their modems seem to 'forget' settings and require hard reboots often.
So if things aren't working out for you the first time, always try hard booting the modem/router. Unplug from the wall, wait about 30s then plug back in and try again.
The fact that your not quite sure what the fix was, it's not from you not knowing what your doing, but usually a case of hardware failure.
So don't get discouraged if things don't work out the first few times, it maybe a bad piece of hardware. And always try a hard boot as well.. If all else fails, you could try a reset of the modem to factory settings. And then return the unit for a replacement if it's still not working.
I to have spun many days trying to figure something out using Rogers hardware. When everything else seems to work, except what you're trying to accomplish it seems like your missing something. After replacing the unit - bam! It worked 😃
Moral of the story, when all else fails, blame Rogers and replace the unit! It'll save you a TON of frustration!
./d

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

cschnurr
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm trying to move my music library from my Windows PC computer to an external hard drive plugged into the usb port of my Hitron CBNM 3552 router.  I would then like to be able to access the hard drive from my iphone and ipad.

To test it out, I've plugged in a USB thumb drive to the router USB port, mapped the drive to my Windows PC, and can access the router USB drive from my computer.
Can I map my iphone or ipad to play music stored on the usb drive? 
When I know it all works, I'll buy a large usb drive and transfer all my music.
Thanks

Eh.. to play from an ipone/ipad... Yes.. but not so easily.

To access it on an SMB share, you will need to use a 3rd party program which allows browsing to a windows SMB share..
Should then show the files.. but would probably be a click and play one by one.. wont run playlilsts, albums in order, etc.

Really only main way to play music on an iphone/ipad, is through itunes, or a 3rd party media server.
Running something like PLEX, you can set it up as a media server, then the plex client will do the playback.
You can run your itunes library on a PC, then stream from that PC with itunes running to an iphone on the same network.
But both of these require it to be running on PC.

You really need to get into a form of a network connected NAS or hard drive, which allows a running of media server type software on it.

Pottertons
I Plan to Stick Around
WOW. This info saved me back when it was originally posted and it remains to be helpful; even 2 years later after canceling the service and returning to a new CODA-4582 modem.

Unfortunately, I can't add any more likes. 🙂

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

This was a perfect and concise answer and really helped a lot 🙂 The only issue I am having is that I can't delete or make changes to the files.... do you know how I would fix that? I have a Passport connected through my Rogers Router and am accessing from my macs. The error keeps giving an error about permissions that I can't seem to resolve.

Thanks!

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Passport external HD hooked up through the USB port of my CGN3 Gateway router. I can see it from my Mac laptops but can't add folders, delete folders, change names of files etc. When I try to delete a file the error says: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." When I try to add folders it says: "Finder wants to make changes" and asks for my user name and password but then says: "Items can’t be copied to “Photos Folder” because you don’t have permission to read them." I had previously plugged the hard drive directly into laptop and made it "read and write for everyone" before connecting it back to the router. When I go to "get info" on any of the folders on there it says I have custom access. I have been looking since yesterday to get this resolved but all of the threads suggest the same thing and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what I have to do to resolve this? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Hello @Brit_Chic,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Being able to make changes to your External Hard Drive remotely is a great feature! You've definitely reached the right place for answers to this type of inquiry. We have some very experienced Resident Experts who may be able to provide an answer for you. I will ensure they are tagged in this post @Gdkitty@Datalink & @gp-se.

If there is anyone else in the Community that is familiar with this inquiry feel free to chime in as well!

RogersTony

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you

@Brit_Chic I see that you changed the permissions for the hard drive when it was directly connected to the laptop, but, now that its connected to the modem, I suspect that you're going to have to do the same thing as the physical address for the hard drive has changed from a local drive to a network drive.  So, somewhere, in the connect and access settings for the hard drive (as its now connected to the modem) should be a drive mapping tab to properly map the path to the drive, and maybe a permissions tab/page that allows you to set the permissions for the drive.  You will probably have to be in an admin account in order to set those for the laptop users.  

That would be my best guess.  I'm not a mac user, but it should probably be similar to windows networked drives, which I also don't do.  Its been a while since I've looked at networked drive access but, setting the correct drive mapping and access permissions comes to mind. 

Edit:  one additional point from way back when is the issue of the drive format.  I seem to recall some discussion in the forum regarding the usb connected drive format, as in something other than NTFS.  That alone might be the cause of the problems, but, its been a very long time since I've seen that discussion.  I'll have to try to find it, but, not guaranteeing that I'll be able to find it tonight.

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you... do you mean changing those permissions on the Rogers Admin tab on the Rogers CGN3ACSMR login page or changing from my mac?

I suspect that it would have to be changed in the mac, as the path to the drive from the mac has changed.  Please read my additional edit notes above. 

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

It does say sharing enabled under admin. Will try to attachedScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 9.45.52 PM.pngh a pic

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

I thought I read that the problems were arising when it was NTFS but mine isn't. At least I don't think it is. I have been reading a lot about the NTFS being an issue but thought somewhere along this process I saw that it was one of the FAT options. Do I have to plug it back into the laptop to check? And if so, can I reformat with all of the folders on there?

Hi, sorry to keep you waiting.  From what I remember of the discussion from long ago, the modem is linux, therefore the best option would be a drive format that suits linux, like ext3.  The problem right now is that if you have data in the folders, you would lose the data if you formatted the drive as ext3 or any other format.  If you have another backup to those folders, thats ok then, but, if you don't, you will have to copy that data to yet another drive, format the drive in question and then copy the data back again.  

Edit:  Don't quote me on this, but, even if the drive is set to "share" in the modem, I suspect that the drive mapping would have to be correct in the mac, and the user permissions set to allow access to files on the drive. 

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

So I checked and the hard drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and read and write set to everyone. So what does that mean... I mean where next would I check the sharing/permissions? Thanks!

Are those permissions set with the hard drive connected directly to the mac, or to the modem?

Edit:  The other question that I can't answer is whether or not Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is compatible with the modem's operating system.  Do you happen to have an unused USB2 flash drive around?  If so, consider the following experiment.  Connect the flash drive to the modem, set the mapping and permissions and try to format the drive, thru the modem, to ext3.  If the formatting fails, connect the flash drive to the mac, format the drive to ext3 and then connect it to the modem once again.  Then try some experiments in terms of file access, reading, writing, etc.  

What size is the hard drive?  Just curious at this point. 

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

Both.. because the image I posted shows that it is shared enabled on the router (admin, USB) and then the hard drive itself is read and write for everyone. I just looked at it in disk utility and it also says the drive is writeable.  I'm really surprised that this isn't a more common issue with a fix. Baffled.

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

ok sounds good, will try that ... the size of the drive capacity is 999 GB and the available is around 552

KerryForest
I Plan to Stick Around

I was one of the early contributors to this thread. Initially I had problems similar if not identical to yours. Then all of a sudden I could get access to all the external drive files from my PC (Windows 10). I'm sure you've tried rebooting the modem so the only thing I would suggest is borrow a  PC and see if it has the same problem. That may not solve your problem but might allow you to pin it down. By the way my external drive is formatted NTFS and the modem status page looks the same as yours.

Brit_Chic
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Are those permissions set with the hard drive connected directly to the mac, or to the modem?

Edit:  The other question that I can't answer is whether or not Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is compatible with the modem's operating system.  Do you happen to have an unused USB2 flash drive around?  If so, consider the following experiment.  Connect the flash drive to the modem, set the mapping and permissions and try to format the drive, thru the modem, to ext3.  If the formatting fails, connect the flash drive to the mac, format the drive to ext3 and then connect it to the modem once again.  Then try some experiments in terms of file access, reading, writing, etc.  

What size is the hard drive?  Just curious at this point. 

So I looked at formatting the drive to ext.3 as you suggested but I don't see an option for that specifically... I see exFAT?

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats