Mandatory username change

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Mandatory username change

went to login to My rogers and now am getting a thing where it needs to varify my email addy and that will be used as my username from now on....is this for real i have been using my current username for over 20yrs and now they want me to change it ?

not sure if this is for real or not since i havent seen any offical  email from rogers about this change? 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Mandatory username change

Hello @hiho

I can confirm that old 'legacy' usernames (non-email ones) are being phased out and users will be prompted to use their email address upon next login.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

kk thanks was wondering with all the stuff  that goes on somedays on the net if this was a real thing or not, espically since i hadnt recived any prior  notice to this change from rogers  🙂

I've Been Around

I had to change my username today but it didn't move my accounts.  Now I have a username with nothing associated to it and when I try to link my account it says it's linked with another username.

Any solution?

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

@ ren65

I’d like to help in getting your issue resolved. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks!

RogersSannecia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got the prompt when trying to log in via IE.

Didnt get it when trying to log in via Chrome.

I havent processed the change YET..

Just wanted then to confirm.. that it would be used on ALL rogers portals?

Myrogers/Communityforums
AnyplaceTV website and apps.
Smarthome monitoring

And then what about 3rd party linked sites??  
Shomi
Spotify

Will those use the old one? Or the new email?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gdkitty

This will apply to all services that use a MyRogers login.

Currently; if you subscribe to Texture you will not be prompted to make the change as of yet.

RogersDarrell

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Further to that, why does Rogers allow / insist on using the same user credentials on 3rd party sites such as Shomi, that are used to access your Rogers accounts.  That breaks one of the most basic security rules on the internet, which is "don't use the same credentials and password on more than one site".  Doing so invites a security breach.  Maybe someone in the know within the Rogers organization can address that one, someone who's business and background is IT security, not a social media staffer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink

My understanding... is because of how it 'checks' to see if you have the service or not.
It actually does a check that the user exists, is correct login, and then checks to see that YES They do have shomi, etc attached on the account.

A shomi stand alone outside signuped up account.. checks on shomi's own user database.. vs check on rogers for rogers users.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That could still happen without exposing your account credentials to a 3rd party company, or insisting that those credentials are used on a wider array of devices.  Used on a wider array of devices, there is a greater probability of exposure to malware which records and forwards your credentials to unknown parties or individuals.  At the very least, if Rogers is going to insist on using the same credentials it should implement two factor or multi factor authentication to secure or restrict access to the account areas.