Major Speed issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Major Speed issues

So I worked with a tech through the echat and when he sets the router to bridged mode only, my PC gets full speed. When he put its to Router mode, I only get 0.5-1.5 Mpbs when I have a 45 MBit connection.

There are no other devices on at the moment, so nothing else is using bandwidth. Guessing the router is dead? I have a Cisco DPC3825. I know there is a newer router/modem combo available, but I heard it was crappy.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Also forgot to mention that only download speed is affected. Upload speed is normal at 4Mpbs.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That.. does sound odd.

So bridged mode, its wired into your PC you get full.

With it in router/gateway mode.. your still plugged into it, and its getting the 1.5?
Yeah.. thats not normal..  something in the way the routing fuctions is wonky, it seems..

The newer models are OK.. wireless is SLIGHTLY better than the Cisco.. but nothing GREAT.

All in all.. best solution, is to get a DECENT 3rd party router..
Put the gateway back into bridged, and through that router. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just set the router on Bridge mode myself, used my own router and issues are gone. I guess the Cisco router portion isn't behaving to well.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, sure sounds like it.

Wonder if there was any recent firmware updates, or something similar, to it... which broke something 😞

Depending on your router, your likely to get better wireless range, etc anyways.
(potentially more other features.. depending on your router)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yeah, I heard bad things about the Hitron. Even a Rogers tech told me to stay on the Cisco while I could. But from what I read it is just the wireless on the Hitron that is crap.

Either way, I'm going to start using my modems as bridges only from now on.

Thanks for your input on this!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Bridge mode did not fix my issue.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I bet it is a firmware issue. They won't tell me what the issue is when I call just that they are working on it...
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sata wrote:
I bet it is a firmware issue. They won't tell me what the issue is when I call just that they are working on it...

I did see on twitter.. saying something about weather issses efecting the meritimes...

not sure if that is releated or not.. since yours has been going on a little longer.

One other thing to try, would be to swap modems, to anther brand one there.. see if the other has the same issues.  Beyond that.. its all back end 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cisco has an internal policy that while they will design to compete, they consider stability as a value add and will reflect that in their pricing.