Low speeds with ZTE MF28B rocket hub

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Low speeds with ZTE MF28B rocket hub

I moved to the country and had two options for the internet. One company had unlimited usage with a speed of 6mbps and Rogers rocket hub had limited usage with a speed of 21mbps. They both would have been the same price per month as long as I didn't use more than 20G with Rogers. It took me weeks to decide to go with Rogers because of the faster speed. So I order my rocket hub and was told that I might need an antenna. They told me which website to buy it from. I was also told that I'd get it in 3-5 days. I called Rogers on day four because I hadn't received the tracking number via e-mail, which I was told I'd get. Their system was down so I got no answers. On day six, I called and was told that my order was in process but had not yet been shipped. Luckily, the lady was wrong and I got it that afternoon. They never sent the tracking number. I plugged it in and got it going and...I have just over 1mbps of speed no matter where I place it in my house! Ok, that's annoying so I"ll get the antenna. Of course, the website they gave me doesn't carry the antenna. Ugg. Ok, I'll return it if it's not too late. I'll check my usage to make sure I haven't gone over whatever the max. is that you can use before you aren't allowed to return it. There is an error with my account so I can't see any of my account information online. Ugg...it's been that way since I first placed my order. Also, it seems I've been billed for the internet for the week that I was sitting around waiting for my rocket hub to arrive. Seriously, Rogers? This kind of crap is why I switched from you to another cell phone company, years ago. Can someone point me in the direction of an antenna for the ZTE MF28B, please? Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Low speeds with ZTE MF28B rocket hub

Customer Service dropped the ball on this one when they suggested an antenna and the ZTE doesn't have a port for one. 

I would try customer service technical assistance to see if they can get the hub running at speeds advertised.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm an Advisor

@lauraetco:

I understand your frustrations with Rogers totally.  So, please don't shoot the messenger..........

The issue of an external antenna for the ZTE MF28B has been discussed here in this Forum in other postings.  From what we can tell, the ZTE MF28B does not have the capability to use an external antenna.  You'll have to use it "naked" as it is.  You cannot dress it up.

Given the way the RocketHub hardware is used it seems incomprehensible on the part of both Rogers and ZTE that they would propose the use of this device without an external antenna, but that seems to be the case.

My advice to you would be to return the ZTE MF28B from whence it came, and to go with your other alternative for Internet Service Provider.

skinorth

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Customer Service dropped the ball on this one when they suggested an antenna and the ZTE doesn't have a port for one. 

I would try customer service technical assistance to see if they can get the hub running at speeds advertised.  

View solution in original post

I've Been Here Awhile

I have had my ZTE MF-28B for approximately  2 1/2 years, about 1 year ago the left indicator light changed from green to blue which I took to mean it was now on the LTE network. Great speeds followed download around 20mbps and upload 8 mbps. Occasionally with severe weather the network would revert to HSPA but very rarely.

For the past 4 or 5 weeks the network light remains green and will fleetingly turn blue for a matter of seconds, upload speed is now around 1.85 mbps and upload is struggling to hit 0.8 mbps occasionally higher but not very often.

Not being very technical would it help to hit the reset button on theback of the hub or is this going to cause a whole lot of trouble ? Any suggestions as to what I can do to return to the LTE network, never had any issues until now.

Thanks in advance

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @lh321,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

I understand your ZTE MF-28B Rocket modem has experienced a reduction in speed over the past 2 years plus. Pressing the reset button would be one of the steps in troubleshooting to maybe resolving your issue. This would restore the rocket modem to the factory default settings, by holding down the reset button for 7 seconds. Just keep in mind this will delete any custom settings you have, for example Wi-Fi settings etc. Just a few things before considering the reset, are other devices connected to the same modem also experiencing poor speeds? Have you tried re-location the rocket modem? How many signal bars are currently indicated compared to when the speeds were better?

RogersArthur

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the hints, funnily enough I got LTE blue light for about 5 hours last night (13 mbps download) but didn't carry over to today. I have maximum signal bars whether it's LTE or HSPA, so I think I'll try a reset and take it from there.

Many Thanks for now

Louise

I've Been Here Awhile

Just did a reset, LTE connection and download at 20.99 upload 1.97. Happy Days !
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @lh321,

Excellent! Smiley Happy Happy that you're back on track, thank you for updating the Community.

RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

It is nice to know that some of the Rogers people are here listening to us, the great unwashed! 

So, I have a question: I can't connect to LTE with my MF28B  no matter what I do. If I disconnect, set my connect rate from "4G only" to "LTE only" and try to reconnect it will never connect to anything. So I have to disconnect and reset to "4G only" and let it connect again and I am slow but at least I am on the Internet. 

I have to tell you that this is very strange since I am able to connect to LTE just fine with my iPad which is in the same room as my MF28B .

Any ideas? 

BTW I have one! Get rid of the MF28B and provide a device that can use an external antenna. Simple!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Geezer,

Thank you for your patience.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to only connect to 4G and it's slow on the ZTE MF-28B Rocket Modem. When you reset the modem are all the settings erased, restoring the modem back to the factory default settings? Has LTE worked in the past? If not I would suggest popping into a local Rogers location to test the SIM card or swap out the SIM card for a replacement. Or for testing purposes, you can re-locate the modem to see if the mobile network indicator shows up blue/LTE.

Please let us know what happens,
RogersArthur