Low download speed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Low download speed

Hi ... I have the Express internet service with Rogers . I'm using a Motorola SB5100 Modem . My operating system is Windows 7 and 8 , 2 laptops . Both fairly new . My download speeds are usually im the KB per seconds . So why does Rogers say I should be getting up to 25Mbps for my service plan ? Am I correct when I say KB per second is like > 1000 Kbps is like 1Mbps ? Is this correct ? If so ? Then why am I still in the Kbps internet ?  What am I doing wrong here folks, please explain ? Thanks

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Low download speed

Not sure why your speed is in Kbps but with the D2 modem that you have, your speed should actually be "up to" 10 Mbps. As well your usage allowance will be at 60 GB. In order to achieve the advertised speeds of  "up to" 25 Mbps, you will need to exchange your D2 modem for a newer D3 gateway modem. While this sounds simple, you might want to do some research on this forum and other forums like DSL Reports and the Digital Home Forum and read some of the comments that have been posted about the D3 modems from Rogers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also remember, what you are downloading.. the SOURCE makes a difference as well.

Yes, while you could even just have a 15mbps download... unless the source location can/will UPLOAD to you at those speeds, you will normaly be throttled down, from the sending end, to a slower speed.  This can varry from site to site, etc.

Overall, in MOST cases, a faster connection will not make your downloads go faster, etc.. it just allows for MORE to be going on at once.. IE 2-3 people downloading at the same time.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just today I notice for the first time my speed at 2Mbps, that is the best I ever gotten . Beside that its usually under 1Mbps at any Server . BTW I own my modem. And I live alone . So it just me here using my internet .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On multiple providers (bell previously, rogers now, and even bell direct fibre optic at work here) about the highest i have ever seen is about 2.5.
Again, because most places, even BIG servers, etc often may not push out to you that high.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok , why not ? If they can't provide the service then they should give either less to pay or more bandwidth which from what I already read I'm getting screw over 20 gb because I am not using their new modems . I don't think that right . And for the frst time I am going to get information from TekSavvy. I believe I will give Rogers my 30 days notice . If TekSavvy doesn't work out I can always come back to Rogers but next time with a new modem . I would rather stay with Rogers but I believe now is the perfect time to try someone else .

I Plan to Stick Around

So you would rather buy a brand new modem ($75-99 + $10 shipping), then pay an activation fee ranging from 45-65$ to access the same network with slower speeds (Cable 18 = 18mbs/0.5 vs Express = 25/2) instead of simply upgrading your modem w/ Rogers?

Although I am a Rogers employee, comments expressed are my own and do not represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I am not speaking on behalf of the company.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@ScottLang wrote:

So you would rather buy a brand new modem ($75-99 + $10 shipping), then pay an activation fee ranging from 45-65$ to access the same network with slower speeds (Cable 18 = 18mbs/0.5 vs Express = 25/2) instead of simply upgrading your modem w/ Rogers?

Just switched to Express 80GB, speed code wm3 = 25/2. Cisco DPC 3825, D3 modem

Test results:

Speedtest.net = 56.71 mbs/1.98 mbs/18 ms

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2312199563.png

Pingtest.net = packet loss 0%, ping 10ms, jitter 1ms. Grade A

http://www.pingtest.net/result/72385891.png

Rogers speedtest = 39.36 mbs/1.98 mbs

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1909/20121116134911.jpg

I Plan to Stick Around

That's the whole point,  I am not getting the speed Rogers is supposedly given . And for me to do so I would need a new modem any ways , correct ? And their no way in **bleep** would I rent one . So that leave me to buy one which is 200 plus tax lol . And I would only be getting 80gb were as TekSavvy I will have 300gb , do the math there dude . Now I believe is a good time to try another company . Also I hear these new modem Rogers is selling have there issues ... Hmmmmm

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@905dude wrote:

That's the whole point,  I am not getting the speed Rogers is supposedly given . And for me to do so I would need a new modem any ways , correct ? And their no way in **bleep** would I rent one . So that leave me to buy one which is 200 plus tax lol . And I would only be getting 80gb were as TekSavvy I will have 300gb , do the math there dude . Now I believe is a good time to try another company . Also I hear these new modem Rogers is selling have there issues ... Hmmmmm

Of course you can leave, no one can stop you... or cares. However, 

* ...but srusly you have to ask yourself do you really need 300GB?? Do you operate your own business, media, entertainment, fotography, etc. that requires 300GB a  month?? I have 80GB, am on the puter anywhere from 8-12hrs or longer a day and dont even come close to using 80GB - and I download tons of music files and play tons of on lines streaming vids for tv shows, series, movies, etc. and never hit even 70GB a month. I mean 300GB is nice to have and to boast to your buddies but still...

***side eye***

* 2nd you mention a new modem costs 200 + tax is approx 226 (Ontario 13%). Renting a D3 modem is $7, so break-even is approx 32.5 mos. So you can guarantee me your new modem will not break down within 32.5 mos?? I highly doubt it once the warranty period is over. Besides when you rent you can always switch modems for no cost and when new modems come out you can swap it for no cost as well. If anything goes wrong, again you can swap it for no cost. But if your new modem breaks down after the warranty period - that's another $226 you have to spend. Well, it is your money... ***rolls eyes***

Anyway it sounds like you have your mind made up 😉