Lost access to CGN3 web interface?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lost access to CGN3 web interface?

Hi All,

I've been having frequent disconnects on my internet for the last few months, not every day, but sometimes it will occur 3-4 times a week.

Up until a few weeks ago I was using the CGN2. I had two techs come out and the first one mentioned that the signal in my apartment was showing a lot less power than what was coming out at street level. They had to send a 2nd tech with more expereince, and this guy re-ran the wire from ground level up to my apartment, but trutfhully i still didn't notice any improvement.

I called in to complain and the phone rep moved me to a higher tier hybrid-fiber package and told me to go get the CGN3. I've had the CGN3 going for a few weeks, but I'm still having frequent disconnects. In fact, I had noticed that my CGN3 web interface was showing the WAN interface uptime as zero quite frequently. To me, this seems to indicate that the gateway -> rogers connection was failling.

I called in and spoke to a tech, and they mentioned that because I use my own router (my router -> rogers cgn3 gateway -> rogers) i should set the CGN3 to bridge mode. I told her to go ahead and enable that, and now I cant get to the web interface on the CGN3 at all.

I still seem to get the disconnects occasionally, couple of times a week, and am looking to try and get it resolved. The internet will normally come back if i turn off everything and then power up the gateway 1st and my router 2nd, but this is a pain. when you have to do it several times a week, and now when I cant see the gateway status it's hard to see what's going on.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Lost access to CGN3 web interface?

@Syphacleeze wrote:

Hi All,

I've been having frequent disconnects on my internet for the last few months, not every day, but sometimes it will occur 3-4 times a week.

Up until a few weeks ago I was using the CGN2. I had two techs come out and the first one mentioned that the signal in my apartment was showing a lot less power than what was coming out at street level. They had to send a 2nd tech with more expereince, and this guy re-ran the wire from ground level up to my apartment, but trutfhully i still didn't notice any improvement.

I called in to complain and the phone rep moved me to a higher tier hybrid-fiber package and told me to go get the CGN3. I've had the CGN3 going for a few weeks, but I'm still having frequent disconnects. In fact, I had noticed that my CGN3 web interface was showing the WAN interface uptime as zero quite frequently. To me, this seems to indicate that the gateway -> rogers connection was failling.

I called in and spoke to a tech, and they mentioned that because I use my own router (my router -> rogers cgn3 gateway -> rogers) i should set the CGN3 to bridge mode. I told her to go ahead and enable that, and now I cant get to the web interface on the CGN3 at all.

I still seem to get the disconnects occasionally, couple of times a week, and am looking to try and get it resolved. The internet will normally come back if i turn off everything and then power up the gateway 1st and my router 2nd, but this is a pain. when you have to do it several times a week, and now when I cant see the gateway status it's hard to see what's going on.

Once you've put your modem in bridge mode you can no longer access the cable modem's menu. You can access your routers menu to analyze traffic and settings. The only way around this is to remove the bridge mode and enable the gateway. This can be done one of two ways. 1) Have Rogers access your cable remotely from their end and have them turn back on the residential gateway or 2) reset you modem to factory settings (little button in the back of the modem).

If you reset your modem to factory both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz internal modem wifi will be active again but don't forget the SSID names for the networks will be defaulted back to factory and user name and password will be default again.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Lost access to CGN3 web interface?

Rogers recommendation to put the unit into bridge mode is appropriate if you have your own router.   If you're an advanced user you can use 2 routers and configure each to perform different duties but it's not recommended for most people.

I assume that if you're describing disconnects that you are sure they are happening at the modem interface to Rogers and not thru your wireless signals which could have a different cause (ie. your wireless device could be the problem there).

If you've tested your connection using a hard-wired LAN PC connection to the router and see disconnects, then I would suggest that given that they've already replaced your street wiring and your gateway/modem and your plan, Rogers may have a signal strength issue in your area and needs to fix that.