Lost Sync on SMC modem/router ... Failing the "Registration" step?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Lost Sync on SMC modem/router ... Failing the "Registration" step?

Hey guys.  Lost sync on my modem last night, still off today.  I've already called and booked a tech, but he won't be out until Saturday and, y'know... INTERNET!

I was curious... I used to do tech support for Rogers, but it was over a decade ago, so I'm probably hopelessly out of date.  But in the SMC status section, it shows it going through the syncing process, "Success, Success, Success" all the way through, until the very last step, which is "Registration," and then it fails.  Is it possible this is a provisioning issue?  I asked the tech support guy on the phone but he was zero help, just rushed me through to book a tech.

All of my TV services work fine still.

It's been working great for a long time, and last week we upgraded to the best package.  I'm almost wondering if the upgrade resulted in this problem.  Here's the other numbers:

Frequency - either 614.99 or 609.9

Mod - 256QAM

Symbol Rate - 5.360537

Power - either 5.668 dBmV or 4.866

SNR - either 38.93 or 37.93

These numbers seem fine, if I remember from the old days.  SNR above 30, Power is between -8 and +8....

Any ideas?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Lost Sync on SMC modem/router ... Failing the "Registration" step?

when you say best package.. which package do you mean?

Ultimate?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes, what do you mean by best? The best service is fiber and the next best is Ultimate, neither of which are supported by the SMC modem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That was my thought wayner92.. that the SMC has been unprovisioned if the ultimate plan was applied.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's an unsettling thought, but I can't imagine how that could be right.  It was a "special package" given to us though, so I don't think we're talking about fibre.  They just upgraded our upload speed (I think to 1 Mb), download is still the 20 Mb or whatever we had before.  The bandwidth cap was changed but I can't see how that's related.

And anyway, we changed almost 2 weeks ago and if it was mistakenly switched to that, you'd think I would have lost sync then...

I Plan to Stick Around

According to My Rogers, my package is "Hi-Speed Extreme Unlimited."

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so its not what we were thinking about 🙂

That package, should work with the current range of modems.

Which SMC do you have? Which model #

If its the OLDER SMC one, that one only worked on LITE (was that what you were on before?).

if its the regular one.. it SHOULD work. 
I would have them try and remove and re add the modem back onto the account... sort of force it to re-associate and re-provision

I Plan to Stick Around

No, we've always been on a fast or faster package.  I don't have the model number handy, sorry.

I'll ask them to do that tonight then, maybe.  Thanks.