Lost/Stolen phone -- another 3 year contract on iphone 4S or get a new one?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Lost/Stolen phone -- another 3 year contract on iphone 4S or get a new one?

Hi,

I bought my iphone 4s with a 3 year contract last October when it first came out.

Recently I lost my phone and I tried to find it with Find My iPhone and all, but it was always turned off. I am sure someone has stole it. I suspended the service(put a lock on it) as soon as I found my phone was turned off.

Now that I know I need to get a new phone, I wanted to ask you guys about my case.

As I know, my contract has been only 5 months now, so I have one more month to do the early upgrade.

I am thinking of getting another iphone 4s, which costs $160 with a 3 year contract on Rogers and $650 at Apple store.

If anyone can calculate the fee I need to pay (including cancellation fee and all) if I get a phone with 3 year contract from Rogers now, I would be thankful. I have been a Rogers customer for over 6 years now, if this helps..

Also I wasn't sure if I need to cancel the existing account in order to have a new phone or just keep it? because I am trying to get the same phone.

For example, if I buy a phone from Apple store, should I just bring the new phone to Rogers retailer and put it on my existing contract? Does it work this way? 

I am thinking of two ways:

1. Get a iphone 4S from Rogers with a 3 year contract, or

2. Buy a iphone 4S from Apple store.

All I wanna do is pay less and use the 4S. 

On a side noteis there any way I could find my phone back with the serial numberI was thinking if the person who uses the

stolen phone going to register over Apple with its serial numberand if I report that this phone has been stolen beforehand,

then the suspect may be caught..? haha

I was also curious about.. can the person use this stolen phone with no problem? I mean if the person changes SIM card and reset it, that person could use it from the very beginning? I am still upset and cant let it go.. lol

Thanks in advance! 

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Lost/Stolen phone -- another 3 year contract on iphone 4S or get a new one?

That sucks... The only options like you said is either get it from the early upgrade or buy it outright through apple. You need to contact Rogers and once your 6 months are up they will tell you how much you need to pay. No one can do it for you but Rogers. They can change prices & give you different prices then we will. So to stay safe, contact them once you hit the 6 months mark & they will tell you more info on it. Also after the 6 months you are able to check online through my Rogers & see how much you need to pay as well. They option is on My Rogers once you log into your account & its called " Eligible upgrade"

As for the person that has is. They can use it no matter what now. Once they put it on iTunes they will just wipe it & start using it from start. Apple or rogers does not locate phones from S/n numbers so that is no option. Apple will not trace it either seeing as Millions of iPhone 4S are stolen or traded to someone else so they will not trace the IMEI or the S/N.

Also if you buy the iPhone outright from Apple they will supply you with a micro-simcard for Rogers & once you get that, Contact Rogers & active the sim-card on your account. You do not need to go to the store for this & also Rogers does not need the IMEI or S/N. Once you put the Sim-card in the phone Rogers systems will show you are using the iPhone 4S.

*** UPDATE ***

Hey Everyone,

Just to add a little to that and for future references, Rogers is able to add a device to a Blacklist.

Adding a device to the Blacklist would make it impossible and deem the device unusable for anyone on a Canadian Network.

Note:

Keep in mind only the owner of the account (Account Holder) can add and remove a device from the Blacklist.

Upon removing a device from the Blacklist there may be a delay of up to 24-Hours.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

That sucks... The only options like you said is either get it from the early upgrade or buy it outright through apple. You need to contact Rogers and once your 6 months are up they will tell you how much you need to pay. No one can do it for you but Rogers. They can change prices & give you different prices then we will. So to stay safe, contact them once you hit the 6 months mark & they will tell you more info on it. Also after the 6 months you are able to check online through my Rogers & see how much you need to pay as well. They option is on My Rogers once you log into your account & its called " Eligible upgrade"

As for the person that has is. They can use it no matter what now. Once they put it on iTunes they will just wipe it & start using it from start. Apple or rogers does not locate phones from S/n numbers so that is no option. Apple will not trace it either seeing as Millions of iPhone 4S are stolen or traded to someone else so they will not trace the IMEI or the S/N.

Also if you buy the iPhone outright from Apple they will supply you with a micro-simcard for Rogers & once you get that, Contact Rogers & active the sim-card on your account. You do not need to go to the store for this & also Rogers does not need the IMEI or S/N. Once you put the Sim-card in the phone Rogers systems will show you are using the iPhone 4S.

*** UPDATE ***

Hey Everyone,

Just to add a little to that and for future references, Rogers is able to add a device to a Blacklist.

Adding a device to the Blacklist would make it impossible and deem the device unusable for anyone on a Canadian Network.

Note:

Keep in mind only the owner of the account (Account Holder) can add and remove a device from the Blacklist.

Upon removing a device from the Blacklist there may be a delay of up to 24-Hours.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, it helped a lot.

so basically I need to wait for a month till the early upgrade.. 

I'll just drop by the store and find what I can do. 

Thanks again!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Your welcome :).
Highlighted
I've Been Around

good luck. same thing happened to me just yesterday.  I had an iphone 4 for a year and 3 months.  my early upgrade fee is $286 + an activation fee + the cost of a phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello agraham

That is correct. For the admin fee ( Activation fee), you can get the waived if you speak to retentions or a Manager. The upgrade fee could also be waived whatever % the rep or Manager over at retentions can do.

Call Rogers & speak to a rep over a retentions. If nothing happens, ask for a Manager. It may help.