Lost 20% of my Recorded programs between Saturday night & Sunday afternoon!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lost 20% of my Recorded programs between Saturday night & Sunday afternoon!

Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Unfortunately, i'm the one needing help, not offering it!

Have a Nextbox 3 w/ Roger's Seagate 1TB Extender.  I'm located in Northwest North York area.

Saturday night i logged into Roger's 'Manage My Recordings' to set recordings for the next week.  Noticing i guess due to the upcoming time change the record times for my programs were an hour later (if program normally started @ 9PM it now showed it to record @ 10PM)  I noticed this after setting 2 programs to record.  Not wanting any difficulties with the time change up my set recordings, i decided to wait till Sunday to set the recordings via the box.  Previous to this, i'd used the website to set the recordings with no problems.

WELL, come yesterday afternoon, i turn the box and the tube on to notice to my horror that instead of 47% capacity used, i was now down to 27.x%.  I rebooted the box - once leaving the extender attached to the box, just rebooting the box itself.  Box came back up, still showing 27.x%.  Rebooted again, this time physically unplugging the Nextbox, waiting 10 sec. and physically unplugging the extender, replugged the extender and then the box.  Again, still showing 27.x% capacity??!!

I perused through my recordings and noticed that random episodes within the folders were missing as well as whole folders/single recordings - what a royal pain in the tookus!!!  However, a recording set for Sunday morning at 1:02AM did record and stick - yet recordings from the 31st, 30th and prior vanished!

Looking through the posts today, it doesn't seem as if anyone else has had this happen to them...or have they??  Does anyone think it had to do with the time change??

I phoned Roger's tech support today - agent said he was going to escalate issue to the technicians and have them get back to me.

I've owned a few SA8300SD, one SA8300HD and never had a problem with vanishing recordings.  I'm thinking that when we spring forward in March i will unplug both the box and extender and plug both back in next day and see if that makes any difference.

I'm really stumped as to the cause, and grasping at straws for answers - do you think setting the recordings then erasing them caused other recordings to go 'poof'??

BTW, i've had the Nextbox 3 since mid-August and have had the FF stuck issue someone mentioned as well as an issue when deleting a program - it just sits on 'delete' and have to reboot box.  This happened 2 - 3 times since i've had the box.  I'd say, up to this recent fiasco, i've been quite pleased with the Nextbox 3, now i'm not too sure!

TIA,

Ray

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Lost 20% of my Recorded programs between Saturday night & Sunday afternoon!

I can't help you with your NextBox 3 (assuming that's what you have), but you never have to worry about the time change when using the Guide because it's taken care of.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That you are actually missing recordings is a concern...

But under the latest firmware, the box does some media shrinking and could change the % used after it shrinks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Turned on tube last night to find, for the third time in 6 months, i lost 20% of my recordings.  Same issues as other 2 times - random recordings lost both in folders/single recordings.  Uuuggghhh!  Did a hard reboot - that didn't fix anything.

Call tech support - guy asked if i had an extender attached to the PVR - told him "yes, the one Roger's sold me"  I told him it was unacceptable that this would happen 3 times over a 6 month period.  He read the notes from the past times i had called and suggested a factory reset.  I told him i still had recordings i wanted to watch and that the fair thing would be to offer me another PVR free of charge for a month so i could record on the new one while watching on the old one.  At first he said it wasn't possible but put me on hold to check.  He came back on the line and said they would do that for me.  

On the new box, i will not attach the extender (time to retire it i guess).  What a pain - comes down to either an extender problem, a firmware problem or the media shrink "feature", even though i only had 42% before losing 20% of that total!

Sheesh!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have an extender on mine.  The rogers one. 
I got my box, within the first week of them being available.

So far, i have not had the same issues as you.
Really only thing being the ocassional DISPLAY issue (where lines disapear off the list, but a reboot brings them back)

Makes me think, that yes, its either a bad box (just in general, or a the drive in it), or the external drive.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The exact same thing happened to both of my PVRs.  One is the old silver HD PVR (no extender) and the other is the Nextbox 3.0 (with extender)  The silver one had all of its contens erased.  The nextbox I troubleshooted it to realize that only the recording on the Internal Hard Drive were gone, and the ones on the extender were saved.  I work nights and rely on this PVR during the day, and I have lost 30+ Hours of recordings.  I have no idea what they were or how many episodes are gone, or how to track them down.  I almost ripped out my PVR and returned it..!! I am so upset... I had all of Game of thrones on there that I planned on Binge watching.. now gone.. 

I have not bothered to call Rogers because they are all useless, and I end up wasting more time getting transfereed to people who do not have a clue what is going on.  It is NOT an extender issue! I have had the extender in use for 2 years now with NO issues.  This is a Rogers screw up as always, they can't do a firmware update without messing things up.  The best part is that they don't even care. 

The more this stuff happens, the more I can't justify the pricing that they have, I may be switching to pure streaming services.. and NOT Shomi...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. unfortunately, i dont think ANY carrier will guarantee recordings 😞

I dont think there has been any firmware updates in well over a month or two.. (that was on the NB3)... and no updates for the 8300 series that i am aware of.  So dont think it was firmware which removed them.

But it does make a streaming service look MUCH better... what what you want when you want.  though, the problem with those is they are not always up to date, depending on when they get the rights for stuff, etc..

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I record everything I watch except news. The last recordings I lost were about a month ago and it wasn't the PVR, but a bad signal from CHCH and west coast channels. (Rogers opened a ticket on that problem, but still hasn't looked at it or reported any results.)  Other than that I've missed some timeslot recordings because the network changed the start time by a minute, so I've been recording only "first run" ever since. This is with an 8300HD PVR. The NB3 is a different kettle of fish for some people.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

"The nextbox I troubleshooted it to realize that only the recording on the Internal Hard Drive were gone, and the ones on the extender were saved. "

Hmmm...i remember the last time it happened in early Feb.  I disconnected the extender and noticed that i only had 5% of recordings on the internal HD - the rest were on the external HD.  Maybe you have something there - regardless, i'm not going to connect the extender on the new box i get June 1.

The strange thing is, i got the box on Aug. 11/14 - Nov  9/14 was the first time i lost recordings.  Second time was early Feb./15, third time was early May/15.  Each time the interval between each was around 3 months - coincidence??

I've noticed that any time the box has rebooted before the last incidence, it would show 'boot' on the display then -00-, -01-, -02-, -04-, -05- then 'load'  It seemed to skip -03- each time.  When i called in, i told the tech i thought i had the latest firmware (last 3 digits 105)  He checked on his end and said that i did NOT have the latest firmware update.

It is getting very frustrated - THREE times lost recordings - what a pain!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The numbers increasing like that, are usualy indicitive of it LOADING new firmware (or trying to).

The last firmware push was a month or so ago.. i wonder if for whatever reason, your is FAILING to apply it.. causing the loss... and then not trying again for a while?