Loosing everything on PVR after power failure.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Loosing everything on PVR after power failure.

Twice now with two different Rogers PVRs we have lost everything on the PVR!  This has happened after a power failure...the picture freezes and then nothing is retrievable from the PVR.  We have called Rogers both times and they do not know what is causing this problem.  We purchased a 500GB and a 1 TB extender and now both are virtually useless when you can not trust that you'll retain anything. We have everything running through a very expensive surge protector as well!!   Has anyone else had this problem?  We feel as if it is only us. 

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Re: Loosing everything on PVR after power failure.

Hi there,
We had the same problem since we got our extender. Same issue, the extender reformatted itself with every power failure. We found that purchasing a APC battery backup power bar has helped. However, it has not completely resolved the issue. In fact, just this evening the DVR stopped allowing me to pause live TV or record new programs. After rebooting the DVR (manually, unplugging the main DVR first as specified by the instructions to avoid a reformat), I again have lost all data stored on the extender. I firmly believe that this s a broken system that Rogers should look to resolve. With small children who do not understand that their favourite movie has now been erased, this is an incredible source of frustration and irritation for me.

I wish you good luck and would be happy to hear if someone has found a more permanent solution to this issue.
I'm a Senior Advisor

One problem with a power outage is that the external HDD should be powered on before the pvr.. Since the power comes back on at the same time the devices are not powered up properly. you may be able to rescue your recordings if the drive wasn't auto reformatted simply by unplugging the pvr making sure the extender is powered then powering up the pvr..
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have had this occur at least 4 times and it has nothing to do with a power failure. It first occured last November (2010) when Rogers did a software ugrade. It happened to me again in January and spent a long time on the phone resetting, going into the diagnostics and more, only to be finally told that the software was the issue and they are working on it with Cisco.

It happened again (all my recordings were lost), in May. we went through all the troubleshoting steps again.  I was so upset with them that they gave me a new PVR, even though I owned mine and it was beyond warranty. That one worked fine until this past Friday, I could not view any of the recordings even though you could see them on the list. I cannot watch TV in the evening and record most of the evenng programs so I can wathch them after midnight or in the mornings.

I called Rogers once more and was informed that lots and lots of people have this problem, it is well known to Rogers. It is random, some with an expander have this, others without an expander have the same probelm. They cannot explain it except that Cisco and Rogers are "working on it". In the meantime, we are "suck it up" (my words) and expect to lose all our recordings ocasionally. They do not want to tell all Rogers customers they may end up with this problem as this will kill PVR sales.

As you can tell, I am extremely upset with Rogers. Almost ayear into this problem and they cannot fiond a way out or, they would have to admit they have a problem with either their softwar, their PVR or the expander they recommend. Rogers, get some monety intot hei problem,. More and more people are having it, your service techs are telling us this.

I've Been Around

I just had the same problem this past weekend.  After a power failure my Netbox 2 went back to the old tv guide format and nothing on the pvr.  I had to call rogers to get the new guide format reinstalled and the tech guy said he's never heard of anyone losing their pvr programs....after checking this forum I'm not so sure about that.  Anyway, it's frustrating & rogers sure won't compensate for not providing the service we are paying for. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As for WHY it reverted to the old guide after the power failure, I am not sure.
BUT when it is forced to the old guide, it does wipe the unit (from all user experience on here). Going up to the new usually doesn't but ocassionlaly can wipe it.

Unfortunately, in the end we really only pay for the rights to view the shows Smiley Sad. That we can record them for later, we still don't OWN the content on the drive.
But Rogers really needs to step up and FIX the boxes, that they don't do things like this, so it makes it a moot point.

I've Been Here Awhile

I had a quick outage and the settop rebooted
It would load data, said my expander worked properly with my setop,then go to the programed power on ch and I would get a blank screen for a while--then it would reboot
Called tech support and they weren't any help--just said they would send out a tech
I dissconnected the expander and low and behold my settop booted and worked normaly
Called tech support again to cancel my appointment and told them it was a problem with the expander
Again no help
I left the e sata cable connected but unpluged the power to the expander and let my setop boot
Once it was working properly , I plugged in thepower to the expander and got the message it was working properly and tried accessing it--no dice
I repeated the process, but this time I just left it connected, and about 15-20min later the message that it works properly came up again twice about 1 min apart, but I left it for another 2 hrs just to make sure
Now everything seems to be back to normal--Wheww
My expander was nearly full, so I guess the settop needed more time to read it all
Hopes this helps someone, because tech support sure doesn't

Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

@catman

Welcome to the community! 

Thank you for sharing that with us. :smileyhappy:

Hopefully, this can help out someone in the future.

Cheers,

RogersAliciaG

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is a pretty old thread from a couple of years ago that's been dredged up. But I may as well add my experience.

About 3 or 4 years ago I turned on my TV with an SA8300SD PVR and it displayed some error so I rebooted it. Then when I pressed List there were no recordings and none scheduled. All I can think of is that there were some power glitches earlier. Whatever it was, my recordings were gone, but it's worked flawlessly ever since.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario