cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a laptop that will not be a sloth but not break the bank

glgreat
I've Been Around

I'm feeling the pain of some previous laptop buyers....

I'm looking to replace our  laptop and I see an Acer V3 572pg-c56cy with i5 4210u processor 8gb ddr ram, 1tb that is on sale for about $650. It was recomended I also look at the Lenovo becasue the Acer is on the lower performance quality scale but the closest thing i could find had 6gb ram n 750 hard drive for about the same price without touch screen.

So looking at this forum i see someone else had an acer and their speed test was not up to par with an older IBM laptop.

The frustration is not knowing whether or not the rest of the integration of components of one manufacturer;s motherboard is compatable with performance or is the weekest link of the package.

So  does anyone have some suggestions for a Laptop and what components one should look for and the buyer beware and or have a great website that has a good comparison of laptops performance and price

laptop is not for gaming but for typical office and photoshop apps and watchng movies or live streaming.

thanks for any helpful input

gl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Looking for a laptop that will not be a sloth but not break the bank

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Simple rule for 2015: look for a laptop with an 802.11ac wireless card (and wired Gigabit Ethernet).

One of the most common ways for PC manufacturers to skimp is to go for awful, slow, single-band wireless cards. If a manufacturer is offering 802.11ac, though, that means they're not skimping.

If you can afford it, try to get a business machine, e.g. Lenovo Txxx series, Dell Latitude, etc, again with an 802.11ac card.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Big question then to go with this would be then.... as to WHAT internet plan this would be on... and how you would be connected (wired or wireless)

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Simple rule for 2015: look for a laptop with an 802.11ac wireless card (and wired Gigabit Ethernet).

One of the most common ways for PC manufacturers to skimp is to go for awful, slow, single-band wireless cards. If a manufacturer is offering 802.11ac, though, that means they're not skimping.

If you can afford it, try to get a business machine, e.g. Lenovo Txxx series, Dell Latitude, etc, again with an 802.11ac card.

View solution in original post