Looking for Cheaper Cell Options

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrazyCaper
I've Been Here Awhile

Looking for Cheaper Cell Options

I am currently a Rogers cell phone customer with Rogers.. I have their $30.00 plan that offers 250 mins and limited texting which as a senior I do not use.  I am averaging about 20 mins amonth as I only use it for calling a cab when out or for a quick call home.  

I pay now as I have my own Motorolla Flip phone $17.00 appro tax inc as I get a $10. credit for my phone but that ends in Feb.  I don't want to pay $30. for what amount I use.

Any thing out there I can get that is cheaper for my needs. Texting not necessary, I am a senior and don't like that option. Cheap, and user friendly please/  Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Looking for Cheaper Cell Options

Closest thing know of is this.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount

Pay as you go. 
$85 / year

75c / month for 911.

Can either get unlimited texting, or free evenings and weekends.

Depending on your usage/minutes, you might go over and have to pay overages.. but STILL likely cheaper than 360 / year for the $30 / month option.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Closest thing know of is this.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount

Pay as you go. 
$85 / year

75c / month for 911.

Can either get unlimited texting, or free evenings and weekends.

Depending on your usage/minutes, you might go over and have to pay overages.. but STILL likely cheaper than 360 / year for the $30 / month option.

View solution in original post

eddy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Google Speakout.  Pay as U go.  All vouchers last 365 days and roll over.  

speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates

torontodigitalq
I Plan to Stick Around

Talk and text basic Rogers phone plans for seniors are atrocious.

I have been looking at the cell phone plans that interest me as a senior on rogers, none o them are very good, if you just want Talk and Text.  Unlimited Canada and call display etc it is almost $40 plus tax. I will likely switch carriers when my two year old contract expires Jan 18, 2018 I can get the same thing Across the Street at a another smaller carrier, (non big 3) so to speak for $25 a month plus tax.  Their network coverage across Canada seems to be average.  And on top of that unlocking fees end Dec 1st 2017.  That way I could even trade my phone in, since it will only be two years old and with Marshmallow. I don't like any of the senior basic phone Rogers is offering and the talk and text plans for seniors are atrocious. I current have a plan that I am paying about $85 a month T &T and 3 g data, as I get older I find T & T now fits my life style and looking save a bit of money and get a good deal.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@torontodigitalq  Consider calling in to "cancel" to access retentions for wireless and see what they can offer.  There are often loyalty plans available, but you are right, in my own shopping, there are better deals around from other companies - I stay only because I have other services that result in a better choice bundle discount.

I renewed recently (I am only talk and text) and no data, but I also was able to get a subsidized phone (not the senior phones, but an out of market LG G4) for a two year plan.

@CommunityHelps can also work some of these deals I have heard on here, so you may want to try them by private messenging them.

Maybe someone can put in the link to the instructions.

Do shop around, figure what you want in terms of keep your phone, get a new subsidized one, and what plan features you want at the price you are willing to pay and see what they can offer to you.

Good luck with shopping.

Bruce