Looking at Telus instead of Rogers.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Looking at Telus instead of Rogers.

Been browsing the Telus forums and find that Telus complaints seem to revolve more aorund hardware while with Rogers it's speed problems,throttling ,service and support ( though Telus is no godsend either.)

Might just have to check them out seriously. And who knows , maybe their hub connects to the internet in BC instead of Ontario ,about 2,000 miles closer and a whole lot fewer cell tower switches to go through.

***edited labels***

CardinalFaith
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Looking at Telus instead of Rogers.

This is because when Rogers throttles the speeds of its users, they are able to ultimately allow more traffic from more people through, in the end resulting in a very simple decision for them,  throttle the speeds = higher amount of customers with less amount of money spent on hardware/software = net gain of $$.

edit: I also forgot to add in the amount of customers Rogers has lost due to this problem, but I'm fairly sure it isnt an issue for them, considering its been half a year of complains about it and only now, that CRTC has issued an order for them addressing this issue, that they actually "seem" to be doing somethign about it. We'll see when we read thier response to the letter.

89stang
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been using the Telus smart hub for almost 2 years now and it consistantly outperforms my w35 rocket hub every time. downloads avg.2.5-3 mbps, uploads around 1.5-2 mbps. I also have a rogers tower and telus tower within 3 kms of my home. I believe rogers overage rates are a bit cheaper than telus though.
BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Rogers is a bit cheaper..$10/G over with a maximum overage of $50.

Telus works out to be $15/G BUT they charge 1.5cents per MB , so if you're 300 MB over , cost is $4.50 while with Rogers it  would be $10.00 Whether or not Telus has a maximum I don't know.

My primary concern though is speed and pings and consistency , since my connection from Northern Alberta is Brampton , Ontario (and through probably some of the busiest cell towers in Canada ) is 3,800 km away  while with Telus it MIGHT be (assuming I can connect in Vancouver) about 850 km through some of the less populated areas.

Those are unknowns but I'm in line for a Telus HUB demo so will find out.