cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop 5.0.2 OS for Galaxy Alpha

agg1945
I've Been Here Awhile

While away in Florida last week my Rogers Galaxy Alpha downloaded the Lollipop 5.0.2 update. I am hesitant to install as there has been no indication from Rogers that the Alpha was getting this update yet and I've seen plenty of issues on other devices with Lollipop. Should I have gotten this update or is this an error because I was in another country? thanks!

***Edited Labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Lollipop 5.0.2 OS for Galaxy Alpha

RogersMoin

Hello @agg1945, Welcome to Rogers Community Forum!Smiley Happy

Thank you for your post, I have also checked the OS upgrade schedule and the upgrade is not listed for Galaxy Alpha. As you have mentioned, the update might have been downloaded when you were connected to different carrier outside the country, even though I haven't seen a non-Rogers’ device getting OS update when connected to Rogers’ network. Personally, I would not install it.

Thanks,
RogersMoin

agg1945
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the quick response! 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @agg1945

It's been confirmed that some Bell and Telus and some Rogers customers are receiving the 5.0.2 update!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/05/25/samsung-galaxy-alpha-receiving-lollipop-update-in-canada/

agg1945
I've Been Here Awhile

Awesome thanks for the link! 

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone tell me if  & when either Rogers or Samsung will upgrade the Galaxy Mega 6.3?  I just got the upgrade to 5.0.2 for my Galaxy tab S 10.5. If there is not going to be an upgrade, is there anyway to get it done? I recently upgraded to the note 4 but only used it less than a day & put my sim back in the 6.3 &have given the note to my partner as she is still using an old expria. I love my Mega 6.3. There is rumours of a new Samsung called through tab 4 that is 7". I may upgrade to that when & if it comes available. Thanks gents for the help.  You all are great!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @agg1945

Your are welcome!!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @fysty-1

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything yet for your device as its the Mega. As I said in the other thread,u may not get it. It's all up to Samsung and Rogers

bentwookie
I've Been Here Awhile

I updated my Alpha today with rogers. Now my overview/multi/open apps button doesn't work most of the time. It doesn't even light up when I press it.
Rogers own Home Edition pvr app doesn't seem to work on Lollipop either. It was fine yesterday but now just like my nexus 7 won't let me login.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @bentwookie

Hmm have you tried doing a factory reset on the device To see if that will fix it?

bentwookie
I've Been Here Awhile

It's strange that the Overview Button works sometimes and not others.  I noticed the issue when I started messing with the setting in Chrome to "Merge tabs and apps" but either setting in there doesn't fix it any more.

No, I haven't tried a factory reset.  Do you mind telling what that entails and what I'll loose and what I'll have to reload?

Thanks,

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @bentwookie

A factory reset will bring your device to factory settings like the day you got it. You can always back up our contacts, texts, pictures, videos & documents on Samsung Kies. Download Samsung Kies on your computer & then plug in your device into your system. Back it up & then do it. Restore everything afterwords.

You will just lose all the apps & you will have to redownload the apps. That is all.

bentwookie
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks @Meowmix,

I tried a factory reset and the Overview button still doesn't work.  Can I go back to Kit Kat?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @bentwookie

Unfortunately there only way to revert back is to root your device and get the old kit Kat rom. There isn't anyway for Rogers to do it

bentwookie
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Meowmix,

I backed up my Alpha with Helium and got Rogers' 4.4.4 ROM installed and running.  The multi/overview/recent apps button now works perfectly but downgrading has its other headaches.  The Helium backup won't restore on 4.4.4 so I had to login to tons of accounts and install all my apps manually.  I got most data back, but there are a couple games that I have redo 100 levels now.

The other major annoyance is that now there is an icon on the top bar asking for me to update to 5.0.2.  It also has the update listed in the Notifications and says "Update postponed".  The lock screen in Lollipop is much better than KitKat and I may need to install NiLS again.

I know the multi/overview/recent button is a common issue with the Alpha on Lollipop, but I'm tempted to upgrade again and see if it works.  I can't find any definitive answer as to whether it's a known issue or ananomaly.   I guess I should probably wait for 5.1.

I had lots of trouble finding info on this issue, so hopefully my experience will help someone else.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @bentwookie

Thank you for all that. It will be useful!