Locked into a contract without being told

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Locked into a contract without being told

I just called to cancel a line that I thought expired in April 2014. Would be great if those of us who have been long. long time customers of rogers could see where we stand on our contracts. I am told that it ecpires Nov. 2014. What? It will be a 4 year contract. I added a second line to the phone in Nov. 2011, did not know that would extend the other phone for 3 years. Now they want $250 to cancel plus a month. And they wonder why I want to leave Rogers. I already cancelled one phone this summer.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello marye_anne

Are you sure the line always expired on Nov,2014 instead of April 2014 you thought? People always mistaken that they think & reality. The only way to see the truth, is if you have the original contract or papers on when you signed up with Rogers or did the upgrade last.

They do not extend anything else or touch any other lines unless you ask them too. Sadly this seems to be a big issue. If you want, look for the original papers from that day & see when your contract ends.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been burned so many times by Roger's on this issue that I no longer trust anything they say. 14 months ago I cancelled my home phone when that "Mythical" three contract expired and explicitly asked if I would be tied into any more contracts on my internet and cable. No "sir you can cancel either at any time you want" so ring up a month ago to cancel my internet and move to Teksavvy (another story) and I am informed that I have a two year contract, I'm currently paying around $30 per month in overage (yet another story). I've checked my bills (online at Rogers) and no where on any bills for the last 14 months does it mention a contract.

So I reckon another 12 months AT $30 overage per month is a small fee to pay, to NEVER use Rogers again. Way too many broken promises, dubious selling techniques etc. Five years ago I was paying Rogers $250 per month for 4 services, within another 12 months it will be down to fraction of that to have basic cable only.

Had a call this evening from Rogers over my overages, they promised verbally to increase my limit to 300GB per month for an additional $15, problem is I don't beleive them anymore unless it is in writing and they won't put it in writing. I no longer have any trust in this corporation.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello greg518

Sadly most of us have been in your situation. If they promise you something or tell u something, ask them to write it down on a Note on your account and ask them for the interaction number for that note. Ask them also if u can record thr conversation for that purpose. I do it all the time.

Sadly it seems reps are ruining the experience by lying and giving false information they have no clue about. This again comes into play if they they are being watched or trained properly.

Sorry to hear that u had to go threw all that :(. Just be careful with the next carrier u go too. Always make sure there is a Note on your account and get the interaction number of that note for back up to prove that they told u that.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info,

TBH I've come from the UK where this sort of stuff was illegal. Any contract had to be sent to you and you had the 30 day cooling of period when you could cancel it. I find it bizarre that you can be in a contract and you are not even aware of it. I love Canada, but Canadians need more competition and better prices.

Cost for TV ( 100 Channels), Unlimited international home phone and internet in UK ~ $35.

The Canadian cartel is ripping off Canadians.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello greg518

I fully 100% agree with u on that. Sadly the CRTC is being bullied or paid off by the carriers and now somewhat the CRTC is listening to customers. Carriers in North America have a 15 day / 30min rule that if u don't want the device and want to cancel the account, u must be less then 30 minutes on the account and device and be within the 15 days of purchase.

You have ro realize that the UK is a totally different country then Canada and have totally different rules / policies.. Go to to the states and u will see the same as Canada. Its Us and Canada having this issue. All of us if not most of us want the same as the UK but will never get it Sadly.