Locked into a contract without being told

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Locked into a contract without being told

I thought I was getting a free discount because my account has been with Rogers for 20years. I spoke to a rep and he gave me some discounts, but during the phone call he didn't mention anything at all about a contract. Now on my bill it says i'm locked in for another 3 years.... How is this even legal? Is there anything I can do about this?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Locked into a contract without being told

Hello RoRo

Did the rep say " The discounts are for 3 years". Also it is legal IF the rep askes you in a way & you say yes. Sometimes the reps just go threw with it & add it but the system will change it.

Also for which service is this with? Cable, Internet, Home phone or Cellphone?
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello RoRo

Did the rep say " The discounts are for 3 years". Also it is legal IF the rep askes you in a way & you say yes. Sometimes the reps just go threw with it & add it but the system will change it.

Also for which service is this with? Cable, Internet, Home phone or Cellphone?

Thank you for the quick reply. The representative did not state any years at all. I bought my phone outright for $700 online and wanted to avoid contracts which is the reason I had bought my phone. This is with a wireless smartphone. The only phone I had got from Rogers was a pay 2 use moto razr. 

Well I just called rogers the rep stated I had made a price change so it signed another 3 years. Then she told me I could speak to customer relations. While she was transferring me she came back and said it's a mistake you are on a monthly bill there is no contract and it will be removed... Rogers keeps trying to rip me off every turn they get it's really upsetting.

I also had $70 plan which included unlimited calling. I then noticed there was an addon for unlimited calling for +$10. Called them and they said a representative made a mistake and I will be credited only 3 months.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello RoRo

Call back & have them write that down on your account. Ask them to give you the interaction number for that note that says you are just on a month to month account & not on a contract.

Some reps do get confused & while you are on hold, they do ask someone or their manager for help & look it together.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello RoRo

Call back & have them write that down on your account. Ask them to give you the interaction number for that note that says you are just on a month to month account & not on a contract.

Some reps do get confused & while you are on hold, they do ask someone or their manager for help & look it together.

I asked her to leave a note. Hopefully that will be enough..

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello RoRo

Call back & see if she left it. If she did, ask for the interaction number for that note. This way next time you call in if the issue has not been resolved, they are able to find the note with the interaction number!. Always do this. Its better.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello RoRo

Call back & see if she left it. If she did, ask for the interaction number for that note. This way next time you call in if the issue has not been resolved, they are able to find the note with the interaction number!. Always do this. Its better.

I'll do that then thanks

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello RoRo

You are welcome!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello pond_doctor

It doesn't need a signature if you are verbally saying "yes".  If you are calling into Rogers and they say something and u say " yes" that is a verbal agreement on you accepting what the rep says.  If you are doing this at the store,  then you need the store signature annd a signature from you on thr contract. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Although that is true you must be given your full terms and conditions, and he must be provided a copy of his contract. Rogers can be sued for recission if the contract is not properly provided and if a few other conditions are not met (source: law student)