cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live TV completely freezes every 30 minutes or so (8300 HD latest firmware)

cenozoite
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm starting a new thread for this because it's a separate issue from the other HSUD one. Ever since the latest firmware update I am experiencing the issue described below to an extreme degree, where I literally cannot watch any live TV channel for longer than half an hour before it freezes completely, both audio and video, and will stay frozen forever unless I change the channel to wake it up from its coma.

Even though the hard drive no longer spins up and down, the live TV feed breaks up and pixelates every 30 minutes, on any channel no matter what, then freezes and never un-freezes. I've left it for over an hour that way to test whether it would correct itself, but it never does unless I change the channel.

Since the last SARA update I have no other hard-drive related issues and recorded programs play fine, so I don't think it's related to a faulty drive or hardware, plus it only just started happening immediately after the update so that can't be a coincidence.

Is anyone else noticing this?

(Originally from HSUD thread:)

_________________________________________________________________________________________

IHR wrote:
We can no longer even watch "live" TV without experiencing more pausing while the box spins down. About every 20 minutes, the picture totally freezes and the only fix is to change the channel and then change it back again, but hey it will be good for another 20 minutes until it freezes again! 

***Edited labels***

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Live TV completely freezes every 30 minutes or so (8300 HD latest firmware)

pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yep I've had that happen but not every 30 min. Maybe for 1-2 seconds every hour or so but I know what you mean. After I got a new plasma tv (panasonic 3D HDTV  50 ST 50) the problem exacerbates more. The issue is either the box or the cable feed in your area. Call rogers tech. Ask them if they received similar complaints in your neighborhood of the same issue with cable feed. Is it all channels or specific channels?? If they say they have received complaints then you're not alone and it could be the feed itself and they will send a tech out to analyze and correct the signal issue. If not and your neighbors are fine but just happening to you then it's the box. You need to swap the box for a new one. I know.. rogers products, cisco, etc aint the most reliable. It could be perfect for 2 yrs then one change and the system goes haywire, smh... If the box is a rental - no problem, just go to any rogers store that services rental box and swap it for a new one. It's free, no charge. Before you do that, try rebooting the box (unplug/plugging the power chord). Sometimes that helps to fix the software on a reboot. If still happening after reboot then swap it for a new box. I did, and swapped it for a new 8642HD pvr. Redownloaded the new channel guide/firmware and now everything is fine. No more jerky motion, pixelation, etc. So for me it was the box. Hope this helps. 

pac_west227

Sometimes you need to swap it for 2-3 boxes before you get a good one. Majority are refurbished boxes despite it looking new and wrapped in cellofane. All used boxes go back, checked, then repackaged. So unless you know you're the first owner there's a 95% chance you got a refurbed old box. That's why I always asked for the manuf. date on the box label. If it's close say 1-2 mos from current date then most likely it's a new box but if longer then it's used and refurbed. I always call several stores in my area and ask for latest manuf. date on recent boxes in stock. If they say 1-2 mos then get it asap. Your chances of getting a better model the closer the manuf. date. 

cenozoite
I've Been Here Awhile

I bought the box brand new at Best Buy two years ago and it's been perfect the whole time up until the September firmware update. Since the more recent update the other problems are gone, but this one is consistent and freezes on every single channel after half an hour or so, every time reliably, without exception.

I doubt it's the cable feed because it coincided too precisely with the latest firmware update, and unfortunately I don't have the option of exchanging the box because I own it. I've tried rebooting once or twice but will try again.

pac_west227

Sorry, that suxx. That's why I dont buy cable equipment but rent it. Rogers rep did tell me if you buy cable equipment from their stores you have a 2 yr warranty and can exchange it free of charge anytime within the 2 yrs. I know it doesnt help you but lessoned learn for the future, I guess... 

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Seeing as how I was quoted in your original post, I must note that the latest Sara update (1.93.15.1) has corrected this problem for us. In fact, all of the problems from the version 14 update have been corrected, with the exception of the guide info still not being up-to-date. 

cenozoite
I've Been Here Awhile

Interestingly I have found that when disconnecting my PVR Extender from the 8300HD, the freezing problem goes away and everything functions normally. Reconnecting the extender causes the issue to reappear. I have tried rebooting the system both with and without the extender connected, and the result is the same. The box works fine by itself but not in conjunction with the extender.

As tempting as it would be to just say that the extender has an independent issue, everything still coincided too conveniently with firmware changes to chalk it up that easily. I had zero issues with my extender prior to September when this whole firmware fiasco began. Perhaps something related to the firmware inadvertently borked my extender along the way to the point where maybe only a full factory reformat will help. I am hesistant to do that though, since I know of one case already where reformatting actually decreased the overall storage space reported for the internal 8300HD drive from about 90 hours down to 30, inexpicably and irrecoverably.

That would be my first thought.. that something change and its not reading the extender correctly.  At least with a format, it would force the 8300 to format the drive again.. maybe with the firmware update on the 8300, has changed the format of what the drive needs.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around

I am having this exact problem. They gave me a new NextBox3.  Made no differece. Changed the HDMI cable, placed it in another port, but it's still  happening.  They said the signal was fine when the technician came in, but when I called the 1-888 number they said the box wasn't sending back any signal.  Certain channels always freeze.  BBC Canada always freezes.  When I PVR these channels and they freeze, the recording stops.  Obviously it's a long-standing issue, and widespread across Canada ...

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BengalCatLady wrote:

I am having this exact problem. They gave me a new NextBox3.  Made no differece. Changed the HDMI cable, placed it in another port, but it's still  happening.  They said the signal was fine when the technician came in, but when I called the 1-888 number they said the box wasn't sending back any signal.  Certain channels always freeze.  BBC Canada always freezes.  When I PVR these channels and they freeze, the recording stops.  Obviously it's a long-standing issue, and widespread across Canada ...

If the issue isn't the signal coming into the house, it could be a component in the house.

Sometimes a splitter or signal amp can go bad and cause signal issues.  Had it happen to me.  A signal booster went south and caused all kinds of signal issues within the house.

@BengalCatLady wrote:

Never have had an issue with live TV nor recordings with the nextbox 3.0, and i have had it since release.
(other than the normal bugs with the NEW, etc not always working in the guide, etc).

I think meowmix here has been relitively fine as well, not having that issue..

So not widespread.

If it cant communicate back... its either something internal, or in the area causing it.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
I'll let you know what the technician says tomorrow. BBC Canada channel is frozen again as I type this 😞

And its complete locking up of the channel/box?
not just skips/gaps?

Just one thing to check as well.. what is your output format set at?  if its at 1080p.. drop it down to 1080i

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes complete locking up. It won't unfreeze unless I change the channel. The techs replaced the drop line today, the splitters, etc. 2 minutes into Holmes on Holmes this evening it froze up 😞

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
How do I change the output???

cant wrange the remote from the wife at the moment..

But should be in settings.. then video something (forget the wording).

1080p, i know has some issues for people.. not always live, but in recordings, etc. definately.. changing it to 1080i seems to remedy it for alot.. so worth a try.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
Hi. Tried that and it didn't work. :(. The techs replaced cable coming from pole to house and outside equipment. Problem still not fixed. Happens on both tv's. They're coming back again tomorrow. They'll like have to replace the cable inside the house tomorrow.

Hopefully they can find it..

That BOTH have it.. its very unlikely just box related.. as its not a widely reported bug (like the 5.1 audio drop).

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation