cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking from current caller to incoming call after the outgoing message starts

jrbikette
I've Been Here Awhile

Yesterday was my birthday and I had waited anxiously all day for that one long-awaited long distance call from my son and his family (all 4 of them get on the phone in Calgary just to sing Happy Birthday to me!) At about 8:30 pm, the only call came in and it was a long distance ring so I answered right away only to find another

unexpected long distance well-wisher calling from the U,S., and of course the call-waiting notification from my family 'beeped' while I was on the original 'unexpected' call.  

By the time I could quickly/politely end the first call, there had been only 3 call-waiting tones, so I felt confident that the new incoming call was probably listening to my outgoing Voicemail message and since my outgoing message takes a full minute to hear, I'm sure they had not yet had a chance to leave a message for me. Even if they had started singing, it would take them at least another minute to finish that message.  

So I waited anxiously for the little 'ping' indicating the new incoming caller had heard their 'beep' to leave a message for me And/Or for a 'Link' indicator to show up on my land-line phone's screen but neither happened.  I hit Any/All phone buttons (starting with the disconnect button that lets me switch between callers) desperately trying to link in to the incoming call, but nope - nothing worked. I missed the call and although their message

was sweet, by the time I cooled off enough to phone back (5-10 minutes at most), they had all gone out so now my birthday gift call will show up on MY phone bill rather than my son's 'free long distance calls' plan.

Where did that little 'ping' go when a message was being left on my phone and why couldn't I access the incoming caller even after I hung up on the original call?  I have used that 'Link' to Voicemail several times to screen incoming calls by hearing the start of the caller's voicemail message and then 'picking up' to chat with them 'live' instead of waiting to hear their completed message later - so I know it has worked in the past.  Whattup with that Voicemail feature??

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Linking from current caller to incoming call after the outgoing message starts

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @jrbikette

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting! Smiley Happy

Sounds like when you hung up the call has already gone voicemail and the message was being recorded.

With call waiting, instead of hanging up on the original call it's best to link to the next line to to answer the call and see if you can catch the incoming call before it goes to voicemail. Once the call had been set to voicemail and the call would not be able to be answered in that state.

RogersPrasana

Re: Linking from current caller to incoming call after the outgoing message starts

jrbikette
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Given that the first caller would have had to wait for a couple minutes while the family sang their birthday greeting (which I cannot interrupt since they are all on speaker phones), I felt it would be unfair to the unexpected caller to pay long distance fees while she waited. Also I thought for sure I was off in time to hear the ping. I'm not sure I didn't actually hear a faint ping, but there was simply no way to connect with the caller leaving the message at the time. 

Are you saying that feature to screen my calls once I hear the speaker's voice leaving a message no longer exists?  Or can I subscribe to it somehow?  I really like being able to pick up on a message being left (like everyone else seems to be able to do) so if the feature to do so no longer works with Rogers Home Phone, I would probably switch to one that did.  Please advise.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I didn't realize any service allows you to "pick up" once a call goes to voicemail.  Is it possible to change (lengthen) the amount of time before a call goes to voicemail, like you can programme the number of rings if the call is not "call waiting"?

jrbikette
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes you can program the number of rings before a call goes to voice mail but that doesn't help me hear the voice and/or the identifying message of the person calling.  With so many unregistered cell phones, 'private numbers' and 'unknown callers', my call display is not all that helpful when it comes to identifying an incoming caller from the ceaseless annoyance of telemarketers.  Nor do I want to acknowledge or respond to those telemarketers by 'linking in' from my existing call.  In the past I have been able to hear when a message is about to be left and then pick up or link to that incoming call, hear who is leaving the message and then join the call, if I choose to, before the caller finishes and hangs up. There is no other way that I know of to screen unknown callers, so I really value that feature. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I didn't realize any service allows you to "pick up" once a call goes to voicemail.  Is it possible to change (lengthen) the amount of time before a call goes to voicemail, like you can programme the number of rings if the call is not "call waiting"?

I remember such feature existed in the past, not sure if its still around or discontinued.  When I was in high school, I called a school friend once.  He actually had his own landline # it was provided by Bell Canada. He was also subscribed to Bell's Call Answer service or what ever name it was called back then.  So when I called him he didn't pickup so the call had went to his voicemail. I remember leaving him a detailed voice message and was taken by surprise when he had interrupted me to tell me he is on the line. Wow I was actually very shocked I did not know that it was possible to do that.  Either way I have since never encountered anyone else ever with that feature or using it like that so I suspect it has since been discontinued by Bell and was never made available to other companies like Rogers Home Phone.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation