cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting speed on wireless

ggyl
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to limit the speed specifically on the wireless? For example, I have the 250/20 package and would like that full speed accessible on the lan connections only. I would only want to allot like 50/5 or something like that through the wireless. Is this possible with the CGN3ACSMR modem/router? or do I have to go back to using my old ddwrt loaded asus modem?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Limiting speed on wireless

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There isn't any way to allocate bandwidth in that manner with the CGN3 series modem.  You might not have to worry about that however.  When I was running the CGN3, the highest data rates that I saw were a little over 100 Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz network, both using 802.11n.  I dont' know what the CGN3AC or CGN3ACSMR will do, but I suspect that they aren't too far off of that.  The SMR data rate with 802.11ac in theory should be faster, but this is something you would have to test if you have an 802.11ac capable laptop.  The CGN3 series modems aren't known for steller wifi performance, so perhaps limiting the wifi rates won't be an issue.

Fwiw, the latest firmware version for the Asus RT-AC68U/W/P routers have apparently included a bandwidth limitation capability in the Adaptive QOS.  This was just released last week and I haven't looked into it yet.  There might have been similar additions to the N66U and other routers as well, but I haven't checked the release notes for any of the other routers.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Limiting speed on wireless

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There isn't any way to allocate bandwidth in that manner with the CGN3 series modem.  You might not have to worry about that however.  When I was running the CGN3, the highest data rates that I saw were a little over 100 Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz network, both using 802.11n.  I dont' know what the CGN3AC or CGN3ACSMR will do, but I suspect that they aren't too far off of that.  The SMR data rate with 802.11ac in theory should be faster, but this is something you would have to test if you have an 802.11ac capable laptop.  The CGN3 series modems aren't known for steller wifi performance, so perhaps limiting the wifi rates won't be an issue.

Fwiw, the latest firmware version for the Asus RT-AC68U/W/P routers have apparently included a bandwidth limitation capability in the Adaptive QOS.  This was just released last week and I haven't looked into it yet.  There might have been similar additions to the N66U and other routers as well, but I haven't checked the release notes for any of the other routers.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation