Limit times kids can connect

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Limit times kids can connect

I did a search and am surprisingly did not find anything on this topic.  Perhaps because it is generic?

How do I prevent my kids from being able to access wifi during specific times?  I thought of putting the router on a timer, but the kids are too smart for that, and then there are my tenanats who also use the connection that dont need any restriction.  I dont have a server, but would like to be able to setup different accounts.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
I'm an Advisor

Re: Limit times kids can connect

Actually, Asus just introduced it as a new feature in its recent firmware update. It's called AiProtection and has new security features along with Parental Controls.

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm an Advisor

ronaldo1964:

I don't think that Rogers modem/routers have this feature, but I could be wrong. I'm sure others will chime in.

I have the Rogers CGN3 and bridge it to an Asus RT-AC68U router. The Asus has a Parental Controls setting which does exactly what you're asking about. There may be other routers on the market which do the same thing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the CGN3 does have some basic filtering.. it doesnt have any of the more advanced fuctions like that.

Even most of your mid range routers, usally do not always have this feature either 😞

You usually have to go to the more higher end ones, for more advanced filtering like that.
(like what Jimboden mentioned)

I'm an Advisor

Actually, Asus just introduced it as a new feature in its recent firmware update. It's called AiProtection and has new security features along with Parental Controls.

View solution in original post

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@ronaldo1964

Not sure whether or not you have your modem in bridge mode or not, but even mid-range routers provide much better functions than any equipment provided by Rogers. While I do know that the Asus RT-AC68U router is really good and would certainly upgrade to this if I was ever forced into using one of the Hitron modems, I am currently using a Cisco mid-range router because it suits my needs very well. Even this mid-range router has the ability to set parental controls. To use these to control what your children can do on-line and when they can go on-line, all that is needed is to set a password. This is easliy done through Cisco Connect. The key is to use Roger's equipment as a modem only, hook up your own router, and then set up your network as you would like it to be. Why Rogers thinks these all-in-one devices are a good thing simply boggles my mind!

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks all.  Looks like I will be picking up another modem and bridging.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What ever router you purchase, ensure that it has external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports.  Here is a link to the Asus user internface simulator.  Navigate to AiProtection.....Parental Controls to see how Asus routers allow you to manage access to the web.

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/index.asp