cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layman question: Change DNS to 8.8.8.8, is the usage volume still ROGERS' ??

rabbit613
I Plan to Stick Around

If one always use DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, will Rogers track its usage and charge the person's overused gigabytes?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Layman question: Change DNS to 8.8.8.8, is the usage volume still ROGERS' ??

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@rabbit613:

which dns server you use does not have any effect on your usage as measured by Rogers.  dns is simply the mechanism used to resolve a fully qualified domain name (fqdn) such as www.rogers.com or www.google.com to an actual IP address which is then used by the network to perform the actual communication between your computer/iPhone/gamebox/whatever and the computer with which you are communicating.

dns is a small but essential part of IP communications, as was recently demonstrated by the Rogers outage, where, as I understand it, the Rogers dns servers were not functioning correctly.

skinorth

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Layman question: Change DNS to 8.8.8.8, is the usage volume still ROGERS' ??

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@rabbit613:

which dns server you use does not have any effect on your usage as measured by Rogers.  dns is simply the mechanism used to resolve a fully qualified domain name (fqdn) such as www.rogers.com or www.google.com to an actual IP address which is then used by the network to perform the actual communication between your computer/iPhone/gamebox/whatever and the computer with which you are communicating.

dns is a small but essential part of IP communications, as was recently demonstrated by the Rogers outage, where, as I understand it, the Rogers dns servers were not functioning correctly.

skinorth

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation