Laptop not connecting wired or wireless anymore

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Laptop not connecting wired or wireless anymore

Hello,

I have a dell laptop running windows 7 enterprise 2gb ram 2 gig dual processor.

Recently my wireless would not work but my wired would work, now neither work.

I can see my network (plus others) but my computer will not connect.

I have tried releasing IP all my settings are correct (obtain IP automatically).

Anyone help out with this??

Thanks

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Laptop not connecting wired or wireless anymore

Have you tried power cycling the modem and router?
Sounds to me like the router is having issues.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Hi canadacandle,

Welcome to the Forums!

I'm going to agree with Chris on this one. If you can't connect via ethernet OR wireless, it is either a router issue or an issue with the network card on the laptop. Are you able to connect other computers to the wireless network? If you have another computer that you are able to connect to your router, then it is most likely an issue with the laptop and not your router. The fact that you are able to see the wireless network hints that the router may be working properly. It is tough to say at this point. Also, what brand of router are you using?

RR
I'm Here A Lot

I have 1 computer and a playstation connected to my network already and they work fine. I am using a Lynksys router and I am sure it is working fine. I think it's my wireless card in my laptop but it says it is working fine in the settings. I just don't get why it would see the network and not connect to it.

I have been playing with the settings so much that it won't even connect to the internet anymore when I hard wire it to my modem.

I'm a Senior Advisor

OK first things first...

Lets try a factory reset of the linksys. Also make sure you have the latest firmware.

2nd I would setup WPA security on the wireless.

Once that is done test again. At least this way we know the router is in a standard set of settings.

I'm Here A Lot

The linksys I am running DDWRT on it and it is secure. I am 99.9% confident that it is not anything to do with my router.

I am 99.9% certain that something is wrong with my laptop. I can't be sure, though I think it is something with the wireless card in my Dell laptop. One day it was working, the next day it wasn't. It still sees all the networks in my area, card info says it is working normally. I use to be able to connect hard wired to the router but I have messed up those settings trying to fix things and it won't connect that way either now.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Did you update the drivers beyond the ones that ship with windows?

Can you connect to other networks?

Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Hi canadacandle,

I would suggest you try re-installing the drivers for your network card first to see if this helps.

To do this:
Right click on "Computer"
Go to Device Manager
Right click on your wireless network card under Network Adapters and select Uninstall *Do NOT delete the driver files.
Once it has been removed, right click on Network Adapters and then select "Scan For Hardware Changes"
The drivers should re-install automatically.
You can then try connecting again. If that still does not work, you may need to download an updated version of the drivers from your NIC manufacturer's website.

If possible, you can also try connecting through ethernet, and contact Rogers Live Chat support at http://echat.rogers.com to have an agent check your NIC settings.

Let us know how that goes.
I'm Here A Lot

I was running XP when I first encountered the problem, I updated to the latest drivers then from the dell website. I have updated to windows 7 since then and still nothing works. I shall try again in Windows 7 to re-install the drivers and see what happens.

Somehow I screwed up my Ethernet connection as well and can't connect to the internet that way either. If I could get that going I would try the live support with Rogers.

I'm Here A Lot

Happy new year all!

I have reinstalled the latest drivers over the holidays and nothing seems to work. I have done everything I can think of. It still says the device is working fine, I can still see all the available wireless networks in my area but still unable to connect to any of them.

I am thinking I had better just go buy a new wireless card and try to install it and see what happens. I just find it weird that it will see my network I figured if it could see it it should be able to connect to it.