LTE not coming to Winnipeg after all.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: LTE not coming to Winnipeg after all.

did you try walking to line of sight to any towers around? 2 rogers ones in southwest are dead for lte.. the lte speedtest i had in one of the images was from a tower miles away along the perimeter that i had line of sight to, ironically, along the very road one of the rogers towers thats not transmitting lte, is on..

I Plan to Stick Around

Why should I have to run around to try different towers?

Rogers claimed Winnipeg had LTE now.

Rogers starts deploying LTE a year late and can't even deliver on the promise of giving Winnipeg LTE.

And then today Rogers announces Winnipeg gets LTE which it turns out, falls far short of the mark. They can use their blog to pat themselves on the back all they want, they've been unreliable, arrogant and completely ignored our requests for clarification.

If after all this time waiting without word and months past due, Rogers announces LTE for Winnipeg and they can't even cover Winnipeg, then they've definitely lost me as a customer. I'm just glad my 3 years are up in less than 6 months so I can move to a carrier that doesn't treat its Winnipeggers like 2nd class customers.

so no one at rogers, WITH SOME KNOW HOW, can comment on this either here or twitter or redboard or something? half of winnipeg at minimum has no lte yet you give us a giant solid purple blob on your coverage map, not to mention those with even fading hspa+. since apparently portage la prarie was turned on today, hopefully all that effort will actually work there since 2 (working)towers should cover them.

when do we get answers? we wait over half a year extra worth of delays for this, what about that 700mhz spectrum that our devices support when no one is using it? will you ever use it? eta? do you even know theres tons of lte dead towers in winnipeg & more with weak hspa+? say something more than silently editing our posts for no reason, the forum already self filters any "bad" words... i like rogers but this is more than annoying now we need answers, you need our money? well we need answers. not a good image to put on yourself as being one of if not the biggest communications company in canada.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in the same situation. I am an MTS customer, and I have excellent HSPA coverage at home. LTE is junk though, it just won't work indoors and I get a weak signal outside. The nearest tower is a Rogers tower, and I can only get HSPA from it. The MTS LTE tower is blocks away. It's SUPER annoying. MTS and Rogers need to activate ALL their sites because otherwise it's a weak network. I thought this deal was supposed to work both ways and actually benefit MTS customers too?

no the "sharing" only works 1 way which is for mts customers to get rogers coverage for hspa+ & lte networks, so in theory mts customers can ignore their coverage map on mts.ca & just look at rogers', & its for mts piggybacking rogers nation wide not just manitoba. rogers customers piggybacking on mts coverage wouldnt do anything cause we already match mts's coverage in manitoba. if im wrong rogers, please by all means correct me, with proof. imagine if ALL rogers/mts towers in & around the city fused together to broadcast lte, yeah THEN the lte coverage map would be accurate.

coarse you getting better lte from rogers and mts towers is a joke since half or more of the rogers towers are broadcasting hspa+ only.. from what i seen so far it looks like only those really tall skinny towers you only see in the country & on edges of cities with the flashing red strobe lights, are broadcasting lte.. rogers anyway. if i had a vehicle id probably go right up to some of those tall rural area towers and around the city & confirm what im trying to say to rogers, fix the coverage map, or fix your towers before id generate my own coverage map...

"LTE MAX: references to a network deployed with dual frequency bands of 2600 MHz and 2100MHz, using 2x 20 MHz spectrum blocks enabling the fastest speeds.  And high concentration of cell sites allow for better access to the network and faster speed." i find this very.. inaccurate.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just saw LTE on my phone instead of 4G. yeah... finally we got LTE...
I Plan to Stick Around

I was able to use an Android app to force my phone to connect to a tower that was further away and had a worse signal in order to use LTE.

So there is LTE somewhere, just not near me. Or at least not near enough for my phone to automatically connect and for me to receive a good signal.

I've Been Here Awhile

While I'm at work in downtown Winnipeg, my phone has constantly switched between 3G, Edge and no signal at all.  I work at Cityplace and work in the very middle of the building, so I haven't ever had good signal strength.  As I walk from my desk to outside, it slowly goes from 1 bar Edge to about 3 bars of 3G.  Now that LTE is enabled, at my desk, it appears to be swtiching randomly between LTE, 3G and Edge.  I don't get more than 1 bar of LTE however and it spends most of the time on 3G.

Yesterday I ran a speed test on LTE since I was hoping that with it's introduction I might get better service while at work.  I was extremely impressed: 25 Mbits down and 4 Mbits up with a 90ms ping time.  And that was with only 1 bar of LTE.  I managed to get 30 Mbits down and 6 Mbits up closer to the exit of the building.

Today, I came to work and I am getting 0.11 Mbits down and 0.56 Mbits up with a 473 ms ping time.

When I called Rogers, they said that they didn't see any alerts saying there were issues in Winnipeg at this time.  But I should restore my IPhone 5 to factory settings then triy again and if that still didn't work, I should take my device to the Apple store and have them make sure there's no hardware issues.  After that they'd be happy to investigate their network further.

I got the distinct impression their tech support people don't even have tools for testing network congestion or signal strength.  They consult a web page of known issues and if there isn't one listed they can do absolutely nothing about it except open a ticket for network engineers to investigate sometime later.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, your final paragraph, is pretty much it.
The people you talk to (first level support), have the barest amount of abilities to check stuff.  They may have some internal status pages, etc... but they likely dont have direct monitoring tools for each tower, etc.
(for wired internet/cable, they have a little more,can check signal strength on the boxes, if they can communicate with them, etc).

Pretty much all they can do, is put a ticket forward.  BUT, they always ask you to do all the stuff on your end, to try and eliminate that its a user end issue.
80% of the time, it ISNT a user end issue..

Just a bit of an infodump.. the LTE band that rogers is currently using (which i hope they change), is a rather high one.  This means while in range, you will usualy get good performance.. its RANGE is much more limited than a lower frequency... AND, it doesnt permiate quite as well.  So for someone like you in the middle of a building, you are potentialy going to have even LESS chance of a good signal with LTE there.

But i have to agree, when it works, LTE is blazing fast.  Did one this AM, 3 bars LTE, speed test on my iphone5 pulled 38 / 8.8

apparently the 2600mhz band that makes this lte "max" isnt even on period in winnipeg either, im unaffected cause i have iphone 5 but thats just yet another giant lie from them, giving us "regular" lte when touting about "manitoba getting lte MAX" & on top of that, it doesnt even work. I wish we could just get technicians on the phone & hear from them you know the ones with KNOW HOW, on what is happening here & when we will get what we're supposed to. 4g launch certainly wasnt like this, cause every tower is transmitting it.

notice how rogers is completely silent everywhere? not even daring to make a comment about admitting winnipeg is filled with problems & that theyre working on it, i guess its too embarressing, i wonder what portage la prarie & brandon are like.. & fido any fido users here? same towers so i doubt its any different..

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats