LTE not coming to Winnipeg after all.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: LTE not coming to Winnipeg after all.

As the title says, we were "promised" time after time for lte in 2012, its just about may 2013 & still not a single word from one of the largest telecommunications companies in canada about when the only major city left in the country without lte, is ever going to get it.

Does anyone have any news or info other than what google will give? & yes i have iphone 5 yes i have a lte sim, yes i have lte data (all were converted to it anyway), yes i have the a1428 model..

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

And therin can lie part of the problem..

Putting up a tower, while is seems simple.. there is ALOT of red tape for it.

Land has to be aquired.  Zoning has to be allowed for a tower in that area.  There is all the legal things where people come in and are allowed to voice against having a tower there.. etc.

This can all delay in getting a tower up.

There has been land for one just north of me, for almost 5 years now.. still now tower.. it keeps getting tangled up in legal stuff and complaints likely, that it still has not been built Smiley Sad

What you're saying to defend Rogers is completely senseless. It doesn't even make a tidbit of sense.

MTS and Telus both put up LTE towers in Winnipeg, why did they have no red tape issues? No delays? If not, why would Rogers have those issues? Clearly this isn't the City's fault, because 2 other networks got LTE up and running and have had it for many months.

And are you telling me that putting up towers in Winnipeg is harder than EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY IN CANADA?

A city like Toronto with incredibly high densities is much more difficult given you need more towers and have less accessible space.

Their competitors got LTE up and running while Rogers utterly and completely failed.

If there is a tower location near you that hasn't been built after 5 years, it  IS NOT because of red tape, its because the Telco doesn't want it built, otherwise they would work delays or they would find another place for the tower.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Zamrod wrote:
MTS can't stop Rogers from having LTE in Winnipeg. From what I hear Rogers has a deal in Winnipeg with MTS to share their towers for 3G service because Rogers was too cheap to build their own. However MTS hasn't agreed to share LTE service. So now Rogers has to build their own towers all over the city, which of course takes time. They thought they'd have it done before winter but didn't. So now they are waiting for spring and good weather to continue their work. And if you've been in Winnipeg lately you know spring doesn't appear to be coming.

My guess is that someone assumed that they'd just share tower access with MTS until the last minute. Then someone else misestimated how much time they had in Winnipeg before the weather became bad.

That seems very unlikely.

Tower sharing was to boost rural coverage and share HSPA/3.5G deployment costs. Tower sharing never covered LTE.

Rogers got access to northern communities that they didn't build for and MTS got roaming access and lower deployment costs.

LTE was never mentioned or included in any deal which is why MTS built their own LTE towers. If Rogers expected to share them then they wouldn't be talking about it after all the towers were setup, this would have been hammered out well before LTE was deployed by MTS.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I should have possibly worded it differently, I was not trying I defend them, more just putting up one of the possibilities as to why.

I 100% know that's the reason why the one here hasn't gone up is for those reasons, the people saying 'having it in my backyard will give me headaches' people fighting against it (went to 1-2 town meetings on it). Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

My buddy got a text today from Rogers stating that LTE has arrived. He also said that someone else from Winnipeg got the same message (he saw it on Twitter). His phone and my phone still don't show it. I'm skeptical.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

He posted his text to Rogers help and they said that he received the texts by mistake. So not only are the delaying it here, they are taunting us!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello philhouse

Yea Rogers has been sending out " mistake" texts about a few things. They do realize that can cause them issues BUT they really do not care. I would not believe anything they send me via text until i see it active
I've Been Around

When is Winnipeg getting LTE, Rogers? Give us an update.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Squook

Sadly Rogers has not given any indication at all if Winnipeg at this point will get it. They promised it will but that was a year ago. Something that is making me believe Winnipeg may not get it or something serious is going on & they can not say it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Well Folks ITS CLOSE.........ROGERS IS TESTING LTE IN WINNIPEG.....i work nights and the last 2 nights between 1 and 3 i was on LTE and it was working..... it was spotty but it was WORKING......i have been told if all tests go well look for official rollout in about 3-4 weeks