LG Optimus G - preorders, specifications, questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

LG Optimus G - preorders, specifications, questions

Since I couldn't find anything on this device yet, I'll lead off here.

#1 - can we have a definitive release date rather than 'November'?

#2 - exactly what are the radio specifications besides an exclusive 2600mhz LTE band?  In cellular technology, exclusive is a synonym for dead-end because noone else supports it, and 2600mhz is near-useless outside Rogers for roaming, even AT&T won't offer comprehensive coverage.  Exclusive in Android phones also means different baseband software and OS distros, making it harder to root and update with newer builds.

#3 - could someone PLEASE state for the record whether this device has expandable memory- a micro-SD card slot or not, once and for all?  I find a near 50/50 record of supposed reviews and previews that claim it both does or doesn't, and obviously the LG Nexus phone based on this hardware will not have one.  So what are the FACTS?

#4 - Will Rogers allow customers to unlock this phone from day one or not?  If I intend to roam with it, is Rogers going to refuse?

#5 - Will Rogers and Canadian retailers be carrying LG and general Optimus G accesories starting on the launch date?  ie: will I have to go to China to get a silicone case, Otterbox or HDMI adapter?

****Edited Labels****

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: LG Optimus G - preorders, specifications, questions

Hello ryusoma

#1. They will say the date closer to when its being launched. They always do this with the phone they carry. Dont expect them to say anything until a week or so before they release it.

#2. The radios will be the same exact ones as every other phone Rogers carries.
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G 2100

#3. No it does NOT have a micro SD card slot. It ONLY comes with 32GB build in memory.

#4. For Rogers to unlock the phones, you will need to have th following.

- Buy the phone outright.
- Phone being attached to your account
- if you bought the phone on a 3 year term, you MUST finish the term before unlocking it.

Also the unlocking fee from Rogers is $50.

#5 all the retailers wil be carring the phone and some accesories. Most likely a few cases and some cords. No one knows what retaliers will carry tho.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:

#2. The radios will be the same exact ones as every other phone Rogers carries.
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G 2100

#3. No it does NOT have a micro SD card slot. It ONLY comes with 32GB build in memory.

#4. For Rogers to unlock the phones, you will need to have th following.

- Buy the phone outright.
- Phone being attached to your account
- if you bought the phone on a 3 year term, you MUST finish the term before unlocking it.

Also the unlocking fee from Rogers is $50.

So:

#2 - standard North American quad-band GSM/HSPA radio + single 2600mhz LTE band?  That doesn't even cover all of Rogers' own LTE spectrum..

#3 - What information do you base this on?  Do you have any documentation or at least some pictures or a website to back this? I won't buy a phone WITHOUT an SD-card slot when my international Galaxy S2 already has 80Gb of storage equipped.  And if that's the case then I can cancel my preorder.

#4 - $50 to unlock a phone.. even if you're on a contract to pay for it.  Yeah, that's how Canada rolls when the CRTC's in your pocket.  I can get an unlock code on the web in an hour for $20.  Or with a little more digging, probably generate one for free using Android apps.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Ryusoma

Funny thing is that i did read a few sites showing it does but most of the say no. Here is the website in which i found. I do believe they are correct BUT they could be wrong as well.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_e973-4941.php

Also on the Rogers website, i found info of the phone BUT they added N/A right beside it.

Memory Internal:32 GB
Expandable:N/A
Format:N/A

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&productId_...
I Plan to Stick Around

I had seen the GSMArena data previously, this is what made me concerned as GSMArena is usually accurate.  Rogers' own website however I have little confidence in until the product is actually in release.

THIS however does make me feel a little better - C|Net's review of the AT&T model which should be the same as Rogers'.... right?

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/lg-optimus-g-at/4505-6452_7-35477689.html

Here C|Net clearly states the phone does have a mSD-slot.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

That is correct. The ATT should be the same.I read that as well. The problem is why not announce it correct you know? Rogers should have added it does or does not have a SD slot.
I Plan to Stick Around

ARRGH ><

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_e970-5062.php

GSMArena claims this model E970 is the AT&T version.  It claims a mSD, and shows it does not contain a 2600mhz radio.  So again either GSMA is wrong, or Rogers' model is not the same as AT&T's.

This model appears to be the Sprint version:

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_ls970-4751.php

And the original, domestic Korean release:

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Here is the Canadian one. Look at the picture and the specs. Same on the Rogers website

you know, we could be both wrong lol. Until they say anything we do not knowSmiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:

Here is the Canadian one. Look at the picture and the specs. Same on the Rogers website

I work in IT, a picture is more lazy than a thousand words.  You know a Rogers web developer just borrowed the first stock photo they found somewhere..

Until I see a model number with spec sheet and/or a direct photo of a device I won't trust it.

ADDENDUM: I got an email back from Lynn La, the C|Net journalist who reviewed the phone.  She indicated to me that the AT&T model she used 'definitely' has SD-card support but that the Sprint model does not.  So ridiculously, it seems to be a feature that is in or out at the drop of a hat! Smiley Tongue

Also in regards the Rogers' site specs, that may once again be an ill-informed web developer/PR person.  The AT&T model supposedly comes with 16Gb onboard memory + 16Gb SD-card included = 32Gb 'built-in'.  I don't like having to discard a free memory card, but I can always reuse the generic class-2 card they'll probably include on another older or slower device and transplant my 64Gb class-10.