cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus G 2600 Kit Kat Upgrade

pessimism56
I've Been Around

Hi,

I noticed the Optimus G is missing from your OS Upgrades thread chart.  Other carriers are receiving a 4.4.2 Kit Kat upgrade to this phone that is already released in Korea.  Is there an ETA for this to land on Rogers?

Thanks

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: LG Optimus G 2600 Kit Kat Upgrade

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello pessimism56

Unfortunately there is no ETA for this device to get the Kit Kat update. Rogers will release or post any information about it on that thread. It seems like it may not get it from Rogers or it may come late.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello pessimism56

Unfortunately there is no ETA for this device to get the Kit Kat update. Rogers will release or post any information about it on that thread. It seems like it may not get it from Rogers or it may come late.

nbaig5
I've Been Here Awhile
I hope Rogers works to get this uodate out. I've been a Rogers customer for years and really expect them to support their devices. Although the fact that this phone no longer has a page on their site is not a good sign.

Hope this happens.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello nbaig5

When they stop selling it, they have discontinued the device and will only update it once if that after that. You guys may get they update but doesn't seem like it

nbaig5
I've Been Here Awhile
Is it still going to be unlikely even if LG provides the update. Will rogers ever release it now that the device is no longer for sale and has gotten an update to jelly bean previously ?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello nbaig5

They most likely won't as they do not support or sell the device anymore. Carriers do this to old devices they do not sell anymore.

stjojeam
I've Been Here Awhile

Supporting a device with software updates has nothing to do with whether or not the device is still selling.  Canadian mobile service providers typically suck at releasing updates, and in a timely fashion when they do.  They have a very poor track record at releasing updates in a reasonable time-frame.  As for the Optimus G has been updated around the world, but not in Canada.  There is simply no excuse for that.  However, this is very typical of Canadian service providers, who tend to take their customers for ganted, once again...

I for one will never buy a device slated solely for the Canadian market, as they typically receive extremely poor update support.  I will go for unlocked cell phones, preferably international flavors that do tend to get updated.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello stjoejeam

Incorrect. If the device does not sell much, the manufactorer or & carrier will stop supporting it & stop selling it & stop sending out the updates thus facing it out. the only way you can keep up the demand is if people complain & petition to bring the updates out like Motorola had promised for the RAZR HD which took them almost 2 years & Rogers stopped selling it 1.5 years ago.

The carriers & the manufacture make the decision on if the updates will come out or not. Remember they both work hand to hand to sell the devices. So if the carrier doesn't want too, the manufacturer can not do much.

stjojeam
I've Been Here Awhile

My point is that the phone got updated just about evrywhere else in the world but Canada.  Which is precisely why I will never buy a carrier phone from now on.  I would expect a flagship phone to be treated just as it is, a flagship phone, and get updates when they are released.  That is the least to be expected for a flagship device...

brantford1
I'm Here A Lot
I agree to stjojeams' comment i got on board with this phone Dec 2012 and a 3 year contract. Rogers should be required to maintain phome integrity for the length of the contract or offer a new phone in its place they will support. They don't seem to have a problem with upgraded cable boxes or other internet hardwear

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello brantford1

The same thing can be said about all if not most carriers in Canada & the rest of the world. Most carriers in North America stop updating their devices after they are being taken off the shelf or a new model of the same device comes out. Carriers are not required to update the devices if they do not wish too / manufacture does not give them the update or if the devices is not selling anymore aka discontinued. The carrier can only do so much with the updates & the phone. Something many do not understand.

Cable boxes & internet hardware have different software / chipsets. How about u go read the Internet / Cable threads & see the mess that is going on with the boxes & modems if u want to do that & see. Rogers controls the updates for the cable / internet boxes. Cisco / SMG own the box. Rogers does NOT own the devices they sell or the updates. Simple as that.

If u want to say Rogers does not do it, go look at all the other carriers in Canada / US. They ALL do the same thing. You can make a claim to the CRTC / President of the Office if u wish.

imon2nite
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been a customer for years and every other country in the world has had this update, some for 6 months or more. Hope I see the update or why would I ever consider getting a phone from Rogers again knowing my flagship I paid an arm and a leg for will be dropped and unsupported by them a mere 6 months later, and like I said its been released so they could choose to treat their customers right and release it. Already there are apps I cant run and issues with Google apps running correctly with 4.1.2 now, feel pretty ripped off by Rogers getting no update when LG released it for this phone 8 months ago now. Time for all of us to start buying unlocked devices like the oneplus and many others and go to a carrier that will give you a good deal with your own device, you will get updates for your device and with the discount on services for bringing your own device you will save the money back you spend on it and have freedom with no contract, high end devices at 1/2 the price Time to send a message that we are sick of getting ripped off. :((

To: Meowmix

I'll have you know I do understand the statuesque of the industry. As I said if a company is going to sell something then support it they must. Just because there is a new Mustang at the Ford dealership doesn't mean Ford stops making parts and repairing last years model, what a scam that would be. The phone is still for sale, and the support is there, Rogers has decided to stop support not LG. Just because phones are small and software quickly evolves doesn't give Rogers the right to ditch a phone when they please, I'm technically still paying for it. I know for a fact the E971 is the bases for the Nexus 4 and it too has had that upgrade and beyond as other carriers in North America and around the world have had the KitKat upgrade, some for 6 months now. So excuse me if I'm feeling fleeced by Rogers and angered at your comment thought to be helpful, though just ignorant of our displeasure of a company who's fist thought is of themselves. But what should I expect of corporate Canada but psychopathic tendencies.

Not to mention all other phones in Roges line-up receved the upgrade to KitKat.

lhvp
I'm Here A Lot

I'd like to chime it as I too have an lg optimus g. Ultimately three people are as at fault for this phone not getting updated: LG, carriers and to a lesser extent customers for not demanding more. You want software freedom? Get a nexus or go with a manufacturer with a good track record, that supports developers and allows unlocking bootloaders. LG is not one of them, with the exception of the nexus line. I will never buy another LG product again, strictly nexus, strictly unlocked. My phone is not even compatible with the LG G smart watch because it requires android 4.3 and up. How sad is that? Really sad because that is a great reason to continue updating phone software.

Rodm
I've Been Around
I'm disappointed that the Rogers Optimus G won't get the upgrade. I have a few android phones and none of them can ever be upgraded because carriers don't offer the firmware available in the rest of the world. That's one of the reasons I've moved to IOS. My iPad 2 from 2011 is still getting updates (ios8). Even the iPhone 4. My Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 from 2011 is still on android 3. No updates.

lryl
I Plan to Stick Around
Late is better than nothing. Will Rogers release Kitkat for the G?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Iryl

At this moment there is no new on if or when Rogers will release Kit Kat for the Optimus G. To be honest I don't think they will it seems.

lryl
I Plan to Stick Around

I hope it is just late because there is a secruity hold in webview component of all Android device priror to KitKa.   Rogers customers should not let Rogers go about this.   As a resputable carrier, it should pass on the secruity fix to its customers, especially KitKat is the only way to fix the webview vulneraibily CVE-2014-6041.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Iryl

It seems like that but there isn't any word or anything from Rogers or LG about a update for Rogers. It seems both are keeping quite on this. Hopefully it come out.

nbaig6
I've Been Around
So where do we rogers about it. If rogers is the problem than they are the ones we should be complaining to. How can I bug them ? Twitter? Facebook ?
Topic Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 11 in conversation