LG G2 Lollipop upgrade?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: LG G2 Lollipop upgrade?

Hello @Tdowhan55

I don't work for Rogers. Second again please provided me any Canadian carrier that has this device that released the update before u sit here and derail a thread which is about LG and not Samsung
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well, that was useless.

LG has always been slow for updates. Remember Optimus G?

If you truly need lollipop, there are ports available here and there. Of course, I'd rather have an official kdz to flash. And extract, and push actual blobs to use in custom roms...

Go rogers. Go LG. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

this, from telus website

Devices scheduled for Lollipop

Manufacturers have confirmed that the following devices will be eligible for Lollipop in the near future. They are not, however, currently eligible:

Manufacturer Model

LGG2
SamsungAlpha
SamsungGalaxy Core
SamsungGalaxy S4
SamsungNote 3
SamsungNote 4
SamsungTab 8.4
SamsungTab 10.5

patience, padawan.

http://www.telus.com/en/qc/get-help/mobility/devices/android/android-lollipop-updates/support.do

patience.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@mathieuvalotair wrote:

If you truly need lollipop, there are ports available here and there. 

Do you know of a port that is actually functional on a D803?  I've tried some (e.g., Blisspop) and they're buggy - not usable as a daily driver.  I suspect it's because an official ROM hasn't been released yet.  If there was a working ROM out there, do you think I'd spend my time complaining on a Rogers forum??

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

google. grohla lollipop lg g2. it's on sccn or something and the actual file name would be simple rom v3.zip. have fun and you're welcome.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @mathieuvalotair

Thank you for that!
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @mathieuvalotair

You see I saw that on Telus but some don't do their research and blame everyone and anything. Even the carrier that has nothing to do with it. LG is the main reason here not Rogers.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well... looks like Telus pulled the G2 from their list of future upgrades to LP.

http://www.telus.com/en/qc/get-help/mobility/devices/android/android-lollipop-updates/support.do

99% sure the D803 will never see official 5.0.

Shame on LG.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @alexvtr

There we have it. Indeed it's LG that is causing this and NOT Rogers like some others have blamed. Since Telus removed it off, that's a indications that LG most likely won't bring it.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

OK, I've had it, @Meowmix.  The G2 was released Sept/13, and Lollipop was released Nov/14.  That means a flagship phone won't receive a major update 14 months after launch.

Why are you placing all of the blame on LG for this situation?

1) Did Rogers have any choice in selecting which G2 model would be offered to customers?   The US models are nearly identical and are 100% capable of running on the Rogers LTE network.

2) Does Rogers have no leverage to encourage device manufacturers to continue to support their devices?

3) Does Rogers benefit from planned obselence when they will launch the G4 soon?

My G2 is running Lollipop 5.1 (AICP ROM) lightning fast without any bugs.  There's absolutely no technical reason why it hasn't been officially released.  LG refuses to spend a minimal amount of time to release a ROM for a phone that has a miniscule world-wide market share, and Rogers has no reason to encourage them to do so because it would be a disincentive for customers to purchase a brand new, shiny G4 from them.