LG Eve Android update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

LG Eve Android update

Does anyone have any information on when the LG Eve will get an update to Android 2.2?

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: LG Eve Android update

I'm not sure it will get 2.2, It JUST got 1.6.

It might get 2.1 considering the milestone got it and they have similar specs, however the milestone sold a lot more units than the Eve. The Droidd got 2.2 but with some features disabled, I supose this could also happen here.

I Plan to Stick Around

Really, the Eve got 1.6?? Can I get that from the rogers site or do I need to go to LG? 1.6 will be ok. I read a bunch of stuff that said tha rogers and LG weren't going to go any higher with the Eve. So I will just wait for the warranty to end and then root it and play around with the roms that are out there.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you kidding me, Rogers?  At the time I bought this phone, I thought it was state-of-the-art.  I have to say I love the layout, but seriously - OS 1.5 with a (still theoretical) upgrade to 1.6 ONLY???  2.1 is the standard now, and I'm stuck with a phone that was outdated the day I got it!  I can't even get new versions of apps anymore because most of them require OS 1.6 at a MINIMUM.

I honestly believe that Rogers should allow ALL EVE users a hardware upgrade when the new crop of Android phones is released.  I really hate the idea of being stuck with this outdated software for another 2.5 years... Smiley Mad

I Plan to Stick Around

So I guess it is time to ask again as I have seen no formal or informal info... Where is the 1.6 update for the LG Eve? I have checked Rogers and LG websites and the only thing I can see is the updater software that applies the firmaware update. DOes this include 1.6. Does anyone know where to get the 1.6 update for the LG Eve? Thanks.

I've Been Here Awhile

From another forum:

Hello michal, thank you for contacting LG Customer service.

On behalf of LG Canada, thank you for your inquiries regarding the LG Eve. LG Canada has been working to release the Android 1.6 OS upgrade for the LG Eve, which is now expected to be delivered to Rogers for testing in early September, 2010 due to internal delays. Once certified by Rogers, the upgrade will be made available for download from the LG website and will require a PC sync. We appreciate your patience and thank you again for your inquiries.

LG remains committed to investing in the Android platform and will have some exciting innovations for you this year. However, a 2.1 OS upgrade for the LG Eve will not be made available as the device cannot adequately support the features associated with it.

Regards
LG Customer Service
LG Canada

But I also read that there will NOT be an upgrade to 1.6 from Rogers so I am not expecting to get an update.  So sad as it's a decent phone.   

~Annie

I Plan to Stick Around

I got 3 eves for my family and did not know alot about droid at the time.If the guy would have told me they where outdated I would have got them something else.They are stuck with them and next time I get phones I will be thinking twice about customer service knowledge.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a technical question for the community... does anyone know how to get around the requirement for Android 1.6 or better for most new apps so they can be run with 1.5?  Those of us with obsolete devices need to find some way to use them for more than just a phone.  After all, that's why we bought them in the first place, isn't it?

I Plan to Stick Around

@hogger_jeff

You can't. While it's true that app developers can lock out versions in the manifest file by specifying an api version even if it would compile fine on that OS, typically this is done because the app uses API calls which aren't available in older versions of the operating system.

If you want to remove yourself from the official upgrade stream there is a development community which will let you get 1.6 on your phone if you're prepared to do a little bit of work. In fact, it looks like they have Froyo (2.2) working on it now, although I'm not certain that's been made public yet. You can check it out at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=585784

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Are we still waiting for a 1.6 update for the LG Eve? Android 1.6 is out since September 2009!
That make no sense at all to release a 1.6 update now.
If the 1.6 update happens one day, that will be the last official update from Rogers/LG.
Since LG is not helping the community to make Android ROMs working on this device, don't hold your breath for Android 2.x either from Rogers/LG or from the community.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats