Kudos for Rogers Tech service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Kudos for Rogers Tech service

My wife and I have been having no end of trouble with Rogers TV.

We live in a condo, and the condo has a contract with Rogers to supply this building with cable TV. In 2010 a new contract was negogiated to supply SD and HD boxes free of charge.

In April of 2013 the picture really began to degrade with my wifes SD box. So we got a new one. The improvement was marginal at best. After going through four more boxes we began to suspect the problem was not us, as the local Rogers store told us, but the signal itself. Last Saturday my wife returned her fourth SD box. She was given something we were told was an SD box (It looked like a black plastic brick). When we took it home we tried to hook to up per the instructions. Only the instructions weren't for that style of box. The AC adapter that came with it didn't work at all, it. It was a hunk of junk. When we returned to the the store last Saturday the fellow who handed my wife this piece of garbage expressed surprise that it didn't work, said "we don't have any more boxes. It's either that or nothing", turned around and walked away. When came home we had to hook up her old VCR to get a handful of channels that were still analog.

Then on Monday we took the black brick to our property manager and she stried to hook it up. Same result. It was dead as a door nail. She got on the horn to Rogers, and only then did Rogers admit they were having signal problem for some time. So all the boxes ( 2 to 4) were fine, the problem was not us, as Rogers tried to make us believe, the problem was the signal.

After growing an ulcer, and missing a number of TV shows my wife really wanted to see, a Rogers technican showed up on Oct 4. He was the most pleasant Rogers employee we have encountered since the seventies. He was very, very helpful and very knowledgesable. This was the kind of Rogers employee our parents dealt with. Where are the really good employees hiding ? He was really, really good and we were really surprised to get a person who knew what he was doing, and talked to us properly - service tech to customer. He went the extra mile by hooking up the VCRs (2) to the SD boxes because we could not do it ourselves, This fellow should be type of employee that Rogers should have. This employee actually made your commercials factual. Thank you.

**Edited to remove employee specific references**  Thanks for the kudos!  ~RogersMargaret

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Kudos for Rogers Tech service

Good to hear a good story (well at least the tech part) ocassionaly.

There ARE good techs out there..l have met a few.. but as you said they are few are far between.. more bad than good likely.

Swaping boxes, is general practice.. just to remove that out of the equation.. but after that 2nd box.. the person on the phone, should have arranged a tech visit.  Especially in an apartment, it can be something that effect the WHOLE building. 

It sounds like that LAST box you got, was not a SD box possibly at all, and maybe only a DTA? (whats the model # on it?)  If so.. they gave you the WRONG thing as it will give you less channels than an SD box, depending on your package.

I personally would go in and ask to talk to a manager at that store, about how you were treated (and possibly given the wrong box)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello taustin

She does not need your consent to edit your or anyone's post. She is the Administrator for the forums which she works for Rogers. She is able to edit & remove the reps name / ID number & such as it can cause issues. ( people finding out the rep & such).

The rep can read it without his name or ID being used. AS long as you explain the situation, the rep will know.

Its rare to find good techs like this tho. I have had a few good ones & i have had a few bad ones. Good to hear tho!

Hi Taustin,

If you would like to submit a compliment to any employee at Rogers, this is not the best place for it. This is the Rogers Community forums for Rogers customers to come and support each other with issues they have with their services.The tech in question might not ever see it here.

If you would like the tech to get these kudos, I would recommend to send your compliment in at www.rogers.com/contactus under Compliments & Complaints.

Thank you,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty -

The black box or "black brick" did indeed have some sort of identification. It did say "DTA" folowed by a sticker that looked like this "E###" - the letter E folowed by three digits.

The thing that bothers me is that over 80 plus units in my building have been experiencing problems getting the Rogers signal, and Rogers seems to be in no hurry to correct the matter.

The black brick may be the next generation of the SD box. That's the opinion of the Rogers tech we got. However, if an apartment building or condo has a camera located in the lobby or parking areas, and they are for security purposes only, a person can kiss being able to get those channels goodbye. If a channel is not in in a particulars buildings TV package a person having a black brick will not be able to get that channel. We were informed by the really good Rogers tech guy we had that the brick could not display our lobby security camera.

If the brick is indeed the next generation SD box I think some work on it still remains to be done.

Have a good day

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those ones are even more basic than the sd boxes.
An sd box can receive ANY Rogers channel 1-999 or whatever.
The dta is a cheap unit, designed to be given out free to people previously using analog only, which gives the basic 1-60 range plus some of the 900's commonly used for the security cameras.

If the building has switched to digital broadcasting security channels on the normal ranges, then that box should work. But if they are still analog camera, it will not work through the box.

Most people as a work around for the cameras put in a spliter with an analog line into the tv tuner. Then flip inputs on the tv when need to view the camera.