cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KitKat Upgrade

christirmt
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, I know it's old but I like it, and Kies will not let me upgrade to KitKat.  I get a message that says if I have used Kies to upgrade to JellyBean Baseband MA7 I need to cancel the upgrade to KitKat.

Any suggestions on how I can upgrade?

***edited labels***

44 REPLIES 44

Re: KitKat Upgrade

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello RGC1940

What's wrong?

RGC1940
I Plan to Stick Around

Lots wrong with Rogers. I would like to sell my Sony Xperia SP, and get out of the two yr contract...and they try the other carriers without a contract. Maybe it is time to revert to a simple flip phone similar to Doro devices

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

I have no real problems with Rogers other trhan cost, but Bell & especially Telus are no better.& some of the smaller servers are just lower cost extentions of the bigger ones.Smiley Happy

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello RGC1940

That is something you can do and Rogers wont stop u. You can go right ahead and do it BUT research before doing it.

Durghan
I've Been Here Awhile

Kit Kat came out 4 months ago!  What does Rogers need to do to it to make it work on the S4?  

Okay, I very nearly spewed a massive angry rant here.  I switched to a Galaxy S4 after my iPhone died.  I figured, hey, I can't properly taunt and mock my Android friends without having actually used it myself.  While I generally don't really notice much difference on a day to day basis, I gotta say it's really rather infuriating that we are forced to wait many months before being able to upgrade to the current OS.  

And sadly, after being on Android for a few months it's now pretty clear that Rogers may be screwed by Google's stupid process just as much as we are.

To the guy who wants to switch telecoms, don't bother.  Rogers is still one of the better ones, even though I'm sure the Rogers family sits with the head Bell and Telus guys in their secret club house laughing their asses off at how much they've screwed over society.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Durghan

They have to test the OS & make sure their networks / systems & bloatware ( If any) are fine. If its not, it get sent back to Samsung Canada techs & they need to refix it for Rogers. Rogers once receiving it agian, they will test it & make sure it works. If all goes well, they send it out BUT before anyone blaming Rogers, all carriers in Canada do the same. I have also thought Maybe its the Manufacturers telling them to delay it due that their new phones are coming out with the OS & they want to make more money that way ( You dropping your current phone for a new one) This can be said about the carriers as well.

Apple from the beginning had a agreement in place with ALL carriers in the world that they are going to be sending out the updates & carriers can not touch or edit the updates unless its huge problem ( Which i have not seen yet). The carriers had to agree to this as they wanted the iPhone. So this is why Apple releases theor updates to everyone at once.

Google should do the same BUT Apple has one phone & OS unlike Google which their OS is on HTC, Samsung, Nokia ( new one ) Sony & other manufactores. Its up to the manufactorers & carriers, not Google. Google can set a rule that the manufactorer has to release the update to us BUT if the carriers want to check it, that is where the block is happening.

sylvainkruff
I Plan to Stick Around

OFC Rogers always behind upgrading. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello sylvainkruff

Its not only Rogers. Most Canadian carriers always are behind and either release it once one Canadian carrier does or they do it first.

Does anyone know if and when it will be rolling out to the Galaxy Note 2?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mizz_tia23 

No word on when it will come out yet. 

Durghan
I've Been Here Awhile

Turns out a friend downloaded and installed 4.4.2 yesterday.  I'm downloading now...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Durghan 

Are u sure it was for the Note 2? I got it for my Note 3.. 

Durghan
I've Been Here Awhile

Oh sorry, didn't realize the note 2 was the question...no, these were for the Galaxy S4...For which I received ZERO notification from Rogers that it was available...

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Durghan 

Each city / region will get it at a different time.  That's how the updates work unless its a Apple one or Nexus update. 

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

I saw( 2 days ago) on Google that it was available for Aple & Nexus only, but it has been out for awhile.  I don't know what awhile is but what is frustrating is that I just got the Samsung Mega about 6 weeks ago & it only has JB.  I checked for the latest upgrade  (also 2 days ago), & was told I have the latest.  Now I read above that it is available for the S4.  Why one Samsung & not another of the same or newer age (release).

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello fysty -1

The Mega yes came out after the S4 but Samsung wants to update the S4 and Note 3 before the Mega. Also it seems that it may come out within the next couple of weeks. Rumor has it.

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks so much my dear MM.  Just have to be patient I s'pose.  Cheers Angela

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello fysty-1

You are welcome!. I am sure it will come soon:)

Canuck604
I Plan to Stick Around
Is there anyway to undo this upgrade without doing a factory reset? Not a fan of this at all. Sometimes have to press the wake button multiple times for it to finally wake up. And can't hide these useless apps on there anymore either. Boourns

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Canuck604

Unfortunately there is no way of going back to the old OS version. Even doing a factory reset doesn't help u out.

Mannyb
I've Been Here Awhile
Any further update as to when the Galaxy Mega will receive Android v4.3 or v4.4? I just got the Gear 2 Neo watch without realizing my Mega needs v4.3. Samsung Canada's website even says it's compatible with the Mega.